Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live disconnected but still getting ~12V

Options
  • 07-12-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

House built a few years ago and their is a cable running from the fuse box to a 13A wall spur located upstairs for the provision of a circulating pump for solar at a later date.
    The live @ the fuse box is not connected.

Today, I put an volt meter across the live and neutral upstairs and am getting 12Volt.

Can anyone tell me why I am getting 12V here considering the live @ the fusebox is disconnected; I would of thought I should see 0Volts.

Cheers all.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

A small voltage on a disconnected cable registering on a volt meter is normal.
    It is due to induction.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Fair Play 2011.....

Was getting a bit spocked about it..... appreciate the reply.

Islanderre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea just induction, or capacitance between live and disconnected circuits, in conjunction with extremely high multimeter imput impedance when in voltage mode.

Advertisement