Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameweek 16 Captain Poll

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Danger781 wrote: »
    Surely it'll be Dawson / Kaboul?

Isn't Capoue a CM?

He can play as CB too, played there against Sunderland and did ok. Not sure what the situation is with Kaboul but don't think he's fully fit yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Michu might be an option this week. Will probably go with Aguero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,655 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Michu might be an option this week

WHAAAAAAAAAT

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Aguero for me, having seen he didn't feature tonight.

Actually surprised to see regular posters who clearly know their stuff, vote whoever is top of polls? Noticed this throughout last year too, polls interesting for me but no more...

moreau wrote: »

Actually surprised to see regular posters who clearly know their stuff, vote whoever is top of polls? Noticed this throughout last year too, polls interesting for me but no more...
    It isn't the deciding factor for me in making my decisions but I do value the collective opinion of this forum and would be heavily compromised and would need to have a serious thinking about what logic they were working off that I wasn't and to reevaluate whether I'm still happy that my original logic is more solid than the 1 I'd just been introduced to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

aguero for me too, once arsenal play a strong team tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

aguero for me too, once arsenal play a strong team tomorrow.

I hope they do field a strong team and if so im going with augero other wise its on rooney,he looked good tonight and would have easy got one or two if young was so greedy/sh!t !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Going with the most popular option (among active players) will lessen the impact if it all comes off, but it also lessens the potential disaster if your captain fails while others succeed. It's low risk/low yield but over the course of a season, it's a sensible strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Going with the most popular option (among active players) will lessen the impact if it all comes off, but it also lessens the potential disaster if your captain fails while others succeed. It's low risk/low yield but over the course of a season, it's a sensible strategy.

It would have to be a captain that the masses will go with for me to go with the poll rather than backing my own judgement. For example suarez last week was a landslide so a big risk not to go with him. This week the armband will be spread around a lot so it isnt as much of a risk to go with your gut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

It would have to be a captain that the masses will go with for me to go with the poll rather than backing my own judgement. For example suarez last week was a landslide so a big risk not to go with him. This week the armband will be spread around a lot so it isnt as much of a risk to go with your gut.

Agree. The other thing is a lot of teams are looking very similar now (which will be worse after WC). When your gut captain choice does well it can prove to be a differential in weeks like this, which are hard to come by at the moment. The best example for me was a few weeks back when Ozil away to Norwich was a very popular choice in polls (41%) but went with suarez (24%) which was always my planned choice.

Of course it can swing both ways, but if it fails, at least it will be on your own terms, which is the only way to play this game IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm thinking Aguero now that he didn't feature last night. Lukaku is just too inconsistent. I expected big things from him home to Palace and made sure I had him in for that game and he delivered nothing. I'd be afraid of it happening again.

As for Hazard, I've had too many captaincy fails with midfielders in the past and Hazard, like Lukaku, is just too inconsistent.

Aguero and City are on fire. I know he didn't score against Swansea but City still performed and he had a chance to. Whereas Suarez against Hull, the whole team were poor and it effected his performance. He didn't look like scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Lemlin wrote: »
    . Lukaku is just too inconsistent.

:confused: The what now? He is only in the Everton team since GW6 and in that time has amassed 64pts, so averages 6.5 per game and only three times he has failed to get 5 or over, he is one of the most consistent players in the game right now.

Agree re. Hazard its all or nothing with him but Lukaku is the exact opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

7 GW's where he's scored 2 or less under his belt.

In his last 2 games, he's been fortunate to get assists

Hard to justify him in the solid captain choice bracket despite the decent returns in the previous 4 GW's imo

:confused: The what now? He is only in the Everton team since GW6 and in that time has amassed 64pts, so averages 6.5 per game and only three times he has failed to get 5 or over, he is one of the most consistent players in the game right now.

Agree re. Hazard its all or nothing with him but Lukaku is the exact opposite.

I'm taking into account last season as well in fairness. Last season I found he blew hot and cold. He'd score for a few matches running and then go just as many without scoring.

I do admit you make a very good point and I'm letting the Palace game cloud my judgement.

Dempsey wrote: »
    7 GW's where he's scored 2 or less under his belt.

In his last 2 games, he's been fortunate to get assists

Hard to justify him in the solid captain choice bracket despite the decent returns in the previous 4 GW's imo

The first 5 GWs he wasn't starting he is 100% to start now, in the UTD game you refer to he absolutely tore Vidic a new one and had him in all sorts of bother. I'm not captaining him myself but to say he is inconsistent is wrong IMO.

• Advertisement

The first 5 GWs he wasn't starting he is 100% to start now, in the UTD game you refer to he absolutely tore Vidic a new one and had him in all sorts of bother. I'm not captaining him myself but to say he is inconsistent is wrong IMO.

Good performance but fortunate to get an assist, fortunate to be getting an assist against Arsenal too. I hope he keeps it up as I have him but the last time I gave him the armband he scored a 2. Nightmare captain choice last season because of his inconsistency. He's definitely more consistent this season but I'm still hesitant to choose him over Suarez or Aguero. I'd captain him over Hazard though. Then again, my captain choices this season have been hit & miss!

I'm going with Lukaku as captain unless something changes in the next 70ish hours to make me change my mind. Nobody completely convinces me this week, but Lukaku ticks the most of my boxes for captain. Aguero would have been next, then Suarez, don't think I'd have ever realistically captained Hazard.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Good performance but fortunate to get an assist, fortunate to be getting an assist against Arsenal too. I hope he keeps it up as I have him but the last time I gave him the armband he scored a 2. Nightmare captain choice last season because of his inconsistency. He's definitely more consistent this season but I'm still hesitant to choose him over Suarez or Aguero. I'd captain him over Hazard though. Then again, my captain choices this season have been hit & miss!

What's the rest of your team Dempsey? I saw on another thread that you've returned some serious points this last few weeks.

What's the rest of your team Dempsey? I saw on another thread that you've returned some serious points this last few weeks.

Yea, a purple patch at the moment, hopefully I can keep it up for a few more GW's!

283778.PNG

Took 8 point hit to bring in Gazzaniga (Mignolet), Gabbidon (Terry) & Hazard (Ravel) for GW15, would have taken more transfers to get Hazard if I waited any longer. I would have been 4 points better off if I didnt do the transfers but I think my team is good shape for the christmas schedule. Probably get rid of Clyne for Ben Turner this week.

GW13 I had a very good week (73 points, GR 237,939) despite Aguero (c) only scoring 2. Rare enough to score well with a dud captain choice! Suarez (c) the last 2 weeks has helped also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

In fairness, he was always going to be as close to a guaranteed starter for Everton as you could possibly have...

(He was with Chelsea for the first 3 GW's)

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    In fairness, he was always going to be as close to a guaranteed starter for Everton as you could possibly have...

(He was with Chelsea for the first 3 GW's)

I know, that was kind of my point! The scores he got while at Chelsea are completely irrelevant to this gameweek and the immediate future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Not sure I can look past Suarez, despite Lukaku's fixture. Fulham looked good the other night, they might not be the pushovers people expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭bo-sco

What does last season have to do with anything? Last season he played for WBA now he plays for Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

roryc wrote: »
    Not sure I can look past Suarez, despite Lukaku's fixture. Fulham looked good the other night, they might not be the pushovers people expect.

Verthongen is out for Spurs and Chiriches hasn't had a challenge like this since he moved to Spurs, I shudder to think what will happen if Dawson is given the job of marshalling Suarez, there's no way Spurs will keep a clean sheet on Sunday and you'd have to bet on Suarez being involved. I'll still be making Lukaku captain this week as things stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

I'm going with Suarez.

Aguero is also in my thoughts but he is up against a very good Arsenal defence.

Remy could be a good differential but he hasn't done much in recent games while Suarez is bang in form and will be on penalties and frees too.

Suarez for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Look this may be totally irrelevant however Martinez's record against Fulham is very poor:
    08 Nov 2009 Wigan Athletic v Fulham D 1-1 Premier League
    04 Apr 2010 Fulham v Wigan Athletic W 2-1 Premier League
    30 Oct 2010 Fulham v Wigan Athletic W 2-0 Premier League
    15 Jan 2011 Wigan Athletic v Fulham D 1-1 Premier League
    29 Oct 2011 Wigan Athletic v Fulham W 0-2 Premier League
    21 Apr 2012 Fulham v Wigan Athletic W 2-1 Premier League
    22 Sep 2012 Wigan Athletic v Fulham W 1-2 Premier League
    12 Jan 2013 Fulham v Wigan Athletic D 1-1 Premier League

I know Wigan and Everton are totally different and it's all history but the point I'm trying to make is that Fulham could upset Everton.

To balance Everton have had the beating of Fulham for years:
    30 Apr 2005 Fulham v Everton W 2-0 Premier League
    27 Aug 2005 Fulham v Everton W 1-0 Premier League
    11 Mar 2006 Everton v Fulham L 3-1 Premier League
    04 Nov 2006 Fulham v Everton W 1-0 Premier League
    06 Apr 2007 Everton v Fulham L 4-1 Premier League
    08 Dec 2007 Everton v Fulham L 3-0 Premier League
    16 Mar 2008 Fulham v Everton W 1-0 Premier League
    01 Nov 2008 Everton v Fulham L 1-0 Premier League
    24 May 2009 Fulham v Everton L 0-2 Premier League
    13 Sep 2009 Fulham v Everton W 2-1 Premier League
    25 Apr 2010 Everton v Fulham L 2-1 Premier League
    25 Sep 2010 Fulham v Everton D 0-0 Premier League
    19 Mar 2011 Everton v Fulham L 2-1 Premier League
    23 Oct 2011 Fulham v Everton L 1-3 Premier League
    27 Jan 2012 Everton v Fulham L 2-1 FA Cup
    28 Apr 2012 Everton v Fulham L 4-0 Premier League
    03 Nov 2012 Fulham v Everton D 2-2 Premier League
    27 Apr 2013 Everton v Fulham L 1-0 Premier League
    24 Sep 2013 Fulham v Everton W 2-1 Capital One Cup

Although I think I'm just trying to justify not having Lukaku and going with Rooney, Suarez, Aguero :pac:

Trying to work Mirallas in a week or so but that's a different thread. I'll be going for Suarez or Aguero and will decide on Friday.

http://www.11v11.com/teams/fulham/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Everton

bo-sco wrote: »
    What does last season have to do with anything? Last season he played for WBA now he plays for Everton.

In anything in life, past performance is a good indicator of future performance.

There's no doubting Lukaku has grown as a player in the twelve months but he was very frustrating for people last season. Just when he went on a good run and you brought him in, he'd go cold again.

My main other worry is Fulham not being as easy a game as people expect. I didn't see alot of the Villa game on Sunday but what I did see was that Fulham were all over them.

In anything in life, past performance is a good indicator of future performance.

There's no doubting Lukaku has grown as a player in the twelve months but he was very frustrating for people last season. Just when he went on a good run and you brought him in, he'd go cold again.

My main other worry is Fulham not being as easy a game as people expect. I didn't see alot of the Villa game on Sunday but what I did see was that Fulham were all over them.

Past performance for WBA isn't a good indicator for performance as an Everton striker though.

Of course his returns were inconsistent last year, he was playing for a mid table team and wasn't selected consistently. The circumstances are totally different.

That's not to say he's nailed on to to deliver at the weekend either. Everton aren't the most free scoring and Fulham may have found a bit of form since the management change. But in the absence of a better option I'll be going with him as captain I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fulham were quite impressive, but I don't know how much was down to Villa being quite poor.
    I was watching the game and thinking, how am I going to get Riise into my team :D
    It'll be interesting to see how they get on this weekend.

Past performance for WBA isn't a good indicator for performance as an Everton striker though.

Of course his returns were inconsistent last year, he was playing for a mid table team and wasn't selected consistently. The circumstances are totally different.

That's not to say he's nailed on to to deliver at the weekend either. Everton aren't the most free scoring and Fulham may have found a bit of form since the management change. But in the absence of a better option I'll be going with him as captain I think.

Have to say your argument re playing for a mid table club is quite flawed. Plenty of strikers score regularly for mid table or relegation threatened clubs.

Ba, for example, was thumping them in for Newcastle until January last year. Or Benteke for Villa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

PARlance wrote: »
    Fulham were quite impressive, but I don't know how much was down to Villa being quite poor.
    I was watching the game and thinking, how am I going to get Riise into my team :D
    It'll be interesting to see how they get on this weekend.

Saw a good bit of it,only half watching, but looked like it could have been a hammering with Fulham getting loads of chances. It is the main reason I'm most likely to captan Rooney this weekend and would expect Everton to get a tough game....

Have to say your argument re playing for a mid table club is quite flawed. Plenty of strikers score regularly for mid table or relegation threatened clubs.

Ba, for example, was thumping them in for Newcastle until January last year. Or Benteke for Villa.

My argument is flawed because you give two examples of players with good scoring records for mid table teams?

Are you seriously suggesting that a player's team is not relevant in assessing their chances of scoring in a match?

My argument is flawed because you give two examples of players with good scoring records for mid table teams?

Are you seriously suggesting that a player's team is not relevant in assessing their chances of scoring in a match?

Of course a player's team is relevant. That's not the point you made though.

You stated "Of course his returns were inconsistent last year, he was playing for a mid table team".

As I've pointed out, that statement is flawed IMO. Plenty of players score consistently for mid table teams. I've given examples of two. I could give examples of many over the years.

The club I support for example, Blackburn. Yakubu, Benni McCarthy and Roque Santa Cruz have all had seasons where they scored consistently for a team that was either fighting relegation or mid table. Kevin Phillips won the European Golden Boot playing for Sunderland.

West Brom aren't all that bad a side either. They finished 8th last year. Only two places behind Everton who were sixth. Everton scored 55 goals. West Brom 53.

I think Lukaku's inconsistency had to do with him as a player, not West Brom. Perhaps there was a learning curve. Even players like Drogba took a season or so to adapt to the PL.

Of course a player's team is relevant. That's not the point you made though.

You stated "Of course his returns were inconsistent last year, he was playing for a mid table team".

As I've pointed out, that statement is flawed IMO. Plenty of players score consistently for mid table teams. I've given examples of two. I could give examples of many over the years.

The club I support for example, Blackburn. Yakubu, Benni McCarthy and Roque Santa Cruz have all had seasons where they scored consistently for a team that was either fighting relegation or mid table. Kevin Phillips won the European Golden Boot playing for Sunderland.

West Brom aren't all that bad a side either. They finished 8th last year. Only two places behind Everton who were sixth.

I think Lukaku's inconsistency had to do with him as a player, not West Brom. Perhaps there was a learning curve. Even players like Drogba took a season or so to adapt to the PL.

What I actually said was that his returns were inconsistent because he was playing for a mid table team AND he wasn't selected consistently.

Of these the second is the most relevant. He only started 20 league games last year yet scored 17 goals.

West Brom may have finished two places behind Everton but there was actually 14 points between them. Comparing Everton of this season and last is a little pointless too as the regular team has 4 important new players and have a new manager with a more expansive style.

Anyway, back to the main point. I would be looking at Lukaku's consistency in scoring this season when making a decision on captaining him. He seems to have a habit of being involved in goals even when playing poorly like the game v Liverpool for example. But I'm not convinced by Everton's capacity for goals yet which is why I'm a little reluctant to captain him but I probably still will anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Chiriches seems likely to be back for the weekend. Back line might not be as bad as people fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

This is very tough but I think I will go with Aguero. His record in City's tougher games is good, especially at home. Arsenal have a good defence but Spurs had a great defensive record before they went up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Thinking of Aguero as well. City have been great at home this season, winning 7 out of 7 and scoring 29 goals. Including 6 against spurs and 4 against Man Utd and Everton.

City coming back of a good win midweek where a lot of the players were rested including Aguero.
    Arsenal Coming back after a loss in which a lot of their players played, one less day to recover as well

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭orkkukunkku

Rooney (c) Aguero (vc)

Thinking of Aguero as well. City have been great at home this season, winning 7 out of 7 and scoring 29 goals. Including 6 against spurs and 4 against Man Utd and Everton.

City coming back of a good win midweek where a lot of the players were rested including Aguero.
    Arsenal Coming back after a loss in which a lot of their players played, one less day to recover as well
    Hmmm... you have me thinking Aguero now. Those stats cannot be ignored.

Also, why no Loic Remy in the poll?

• Advertisement

BNMC wrote: »

Me too although 90% for Rooney. Looking for a wounded animal response for him and Utd against a shocking villa defence.

I think I'm going to go Aguero.

I think I'm going to go Aguero.
    Me too. City at home can be devastating. Ditching your plan of always going with the poll then?

Hopefully it will be a goalfest. No defender from either team. :o

Me too. City at home can be devastating. Ditching your plan of always going with the poll then?

Hopefully it will be a goalfest. No defender from either team. :o

I ditched it earlier in the season when I went with Ozil captain because of it and he returned 2.

It's not just Aguero. It's the team behind him. The best team in the league for me. Only Chelsea come close IMO.

Pellegrini finally seems to be getting them going and I don't think anyone else will be able to match them when they are up and running on all cylinders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I have it on Rooney at the moment but I've got Saurez and Lukaku in my team as well so it might change before Saturday!

Aaaaagh. I hate captain choosing. Head says Aguero, gut says Rooney.

So I asked my 4 year old at bedtime which of these words sounded best to her Rooney or Aguero. She said definately Aguero.

Pretty scientific I think you'll agree. Sorted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Bet365 are giving the following odds to score anytime at the weekend. Lukaku favourite to score. I'm just a little worried Fulham will improve with a new manager.

Lukaku 4/6
    Aguero 20/21
    Suarez 1/1
    Rooney 5/4
    Hazard 6/4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Been thinking Lukaku all week. Only remembered to change it today. Was on Suarez when I logged in, but sticking with my orriginal gut instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Still cant decide Hazzard or Lukaku for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Currently I have Hazard captain, I know Palace have had a change of fortune since Pulis took over but if Chelsea get an early goal is I suspect a drubbing for Palace with Hazard pulling the strings, having said that I will prob change my mind 10 times before tomorrow:P

Still not voted yet, I'm leaning towards Aguero today...

• Advertisement
Advertisement