Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone/Tablet/Laptop combination - Galaxy Note 3 surely can't replace all three?

Options
  • 07-12-2013 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

Life was easier when there was only a PC, laptop and mobile. Now with so many variations it's hard to decide what the best combination of hardware.

I've a galaxy s2 with a knackered battery and my notebook is clapped out so considering a whole package approach. The Galaxy Note 3 initially interested me as when combined with a bluetooth keyboard (assuming it has that functionality) it could possibly cover all my needs (phone, text, email, browsing & word processing). Yes no doubt it's a fine bit of kit... but...
    • it's on the large side to have in your pocket,
    • it's on the small side for some serious word processing, and
    • I'd still end up carrying the keyboard when needed.
    So I think I'd end up getting a laptop after a while. Therefore I'm now thinking along the lines of a galaxy s4 smartphone combined with one of the following:
    • Samsung 10" tab & keyboard,
    • Surface 2,
    • HP 11" Chromebook.
    Note: I can get Office installed at work for free so pre-installation isn't an issue.

Any thoughts? Open to any suggestions/ recommendations/ combinations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The fewer ecosystems the better IMO. That's typically why you see Apple computers paired with iPads and iPhones.

Similarly if you're going with a Samsung phone, go with a Samsung tablet and a Samsung laptop (which if you pick right will come with SideSync and other tech designed to pair it up well with your Smartphone or tablet).

The other one to try is a Windows Phone and a Surface Tablet to go with your PCs and Xbox ;) In truth thats the best way I can think of to narrow down the learning curve, you essentially only have to learn the one interface with a few variations (Xbox dashboard and the WP8 OS)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I get your point about sticking with the one ecosystem. That makes sense.

I wonder if you go for the likes of the samsung galaxy S4 what a tablet adds to the equation? Seems for my needs a laptop is needed. Combining the S4 with a laptop seems to cover everything.

Am I missing something? Does a tablet offer anything more other than a pleasant surfing experience?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In regards to yer last question, I find a tablet better for reading on the go, than off a phone. But thats about it.

Advertisement