Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flashing Red Light

Options
  • 07-12-2013 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,374 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly, this happened to me last night whilst watching Netflix.

The console will not stay on for more than a couple of seconds now before a split-second yellow light and then it turns off and the usual red standby light just flashes constantly.

I ejected and reinserted the hard drive just in case that was the issue but no luck so I guess I am looking at a replacement.

Apart from being slightly horrified at the prices (I somehoe thought I'd get one for 150e these days!) I have a few questions.

1) Hairdryer treatment? Best way to get the PS3 on long enough for a HDD back up?

2) the 12GB PS3 that is widely sold. Can I use the HDD caddy in my Phat PS3 to upgrade this?

3) Is there anyway I can check if the 320GB in my PS3 is currently okay? (I'd hate to buy a 12GB ps3 and then find the 320GB Hdd won't work in it).

RIP PS3 - 5 good years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

The HDD will format again if placed into another PS3 so you can't get your HDD data back
    Sorry for your lose, happened to me a few years ago and I lost like 200gb of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,374 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The HDD will format again if placed into another PS3 so you can't get your HDD data back
    Sorry for your lose, happened to me a few years ago and I lost like 200gb of data.

Cheers.

I know I can't simply but my ps3 HDD into a new one but let me rephrase:

The 12GB PS3 currently on sale needs a caddy to install a new HDD, I am wondering if the one in my Phat PS3 will fit it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

noodler wrote: »
    Cheers.

I know I can't simply but my ps3 HDD into a new one but let me rephrase:

The 12GB PS3 currently on sale needs a caddy to install a new HDD, I am wondering if the one in my Phat PS3 will fit it.

It will.

F1ngers wrote: »
    It will.

Tah.

I thought the caddy for the 12gb PS3 was a different size.

Cheers.

F1ngers wrote: »
    It will.
    Tah.

I thought the caddy for the 12gb PS3 was a different size.

Cheers.

Apparently it won't fit actually.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS3-General/New-Slim-12GB-HDD-Caddy-Availability/td-p/17153706/page/11

Seems the HDD Caddy in my 80GB Phat won't fit in a PS3 12GB Slim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Sadly, this happened to me last night whilst watching Netflix.

The console will not stay on for more than a couple of seconds now before a split-second yellow light and then it turns off and the usual red standby light just flashes constantly.

I ejected and reinserted the hard drive just in case that was the issue but no luck so I guess I am looking at a replacement.

Apart from being slightly horrified at the prices (I somehoe thought I'd get one for 150e these days!) I have a few questions.

1) Hairdryer treatment? Best way to get the PS3 on long enough for a HDD back up?

2) the 12GB PS3 that is widely sold. Can I use the HDD caddy in my Phat PS3 to upgrade this?

3) Is there anyway I can check if the 320GB in my PS3 is currently okay? (I'd hate to buy a 12GB ps3 and then find the 320GB Hdd won't work in it).

RIP PS3 - 5 good years.

Oddly enough my PS3 Died about two weeks ago - Also while running Netflix...
    When i turn it on now i get three beeps & a flashing red light then turns off.......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Apparently it won't fit actually.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS3-General/New-Slim-12GB-HDD-Caddy-Availability/td-p/17153706/page/11

Seems the HDD Caddy in my 80GB Phat won't fit in a PS3 12GB Slim.

You're right.
    Sorry.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sorry for your loss noodler :(, was it a launch model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

If you really must you can try this.
    Doesn't help at all if you eventually want to get a reball done.

As mentioned the caddies are different, cheap enough online though I hear.

Not really as it's encrypted.
    If you have PS+ do you not have most game saves in the cloud?

Sorry for your loss noodler :(, was it a launch model ?

Twas an 80GB phat.
    eddhorse wrote: »
    If you really must you can try this.
    Doesn't help at all if you eventually want to get a reball done.

As mentioned the caddies are different, cheap enough online though I hear.

Not really as it's encrypted.
    If you have PS+ do you not have most game saves in the cloud?

No reball. Not interested in paying half the price of a new PS3 for a fix that may or may not work and will only give me a 3 month guarantee.

I don't have PS+ - I am just wondering if I should be looking at replacing the HDD too (its 4 years + old at this stage).

Horrible timing, don't want to be without for Xmas but could get a decent price for a new one in Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Don't feel too bad , least you have time. Mine went on Christmas Eve ! Had to rush out and get replacement of have a boring week !

Advertisement