Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this possible or am I being unrealistic

• 08-12-2013 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hoping to do Computer Application in DCU next year but I am only doing three higher level subjects.
    The course last year was 400 points. And I can only get a maximum of 480 points.
    My career guidance teacher says this is unrealistic and I should look into plc courses. My question is, is this a realistic goal giving the current amount of HL subjects I am doing?
    English- Higher
    Chemistry - Higher
    Biology - Higher
    Maths - Ordinary
    D.C.G - Ordinary
    French - Ordinary
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is no reason why you can't look into PLCs as a back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Presuming you are looking at A1s in all your honors subjects, English is very tough one to A1. Chemistry and biology definitely doable though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

A bit off topic, but is it really now realistic for someone doing mostly ordinary level subjects to get A1s in the honours subjects they are doing? I'm not being smart, just curious.

Back in the late 80s - at least to people I knew, generally speaking the people who got 3 As at honours level would be doing all honours subjects and would have Bs in those. People doing a few honours subjects would be doing very well to get even a B.

Rare exceptions to this would be say dyslexic people who would be good at technical subjects, as back then no allowances were made for this, so they would struggle to pass language subjects, but they would invariably be doing honours Maths too - or someone very strong at Art and languages.

Getting an A in any subject was HARD - typically less than 5% got them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If you get an A1 in the three pass subjects (which is notoriously difficult to do)
    that would leave you needing three B3's to get over the 400. However, you should also factor in that the point probably won't be 400 next year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

professore wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but is it really now realistic for someone doing mostly ordinary level subjects to get A1s in the honours subjects they are doing? I'm not being smart, just curious.

Back in the late 80s - at least to people I knew, generally speaking the people who got 3 As at honours level would be doing all honours subjects and would have Bs in those. People doing a few honours subjects would be doing very well to get even a B.

Rare exceptions to this would be say dyslexic people who would be good at technical subjects, as back then no allowances were made for this, so they would struggle to pass language subjects, but they would invariably be doing honours Maths too - or someone very strong at Art and languages.

Getting an A in any subject was HARD - typically less than 5% got them.

I dont agree, In the like of Business/Accountancy/English/Irish, the course work is different from honours to pass, you need to know less for Pass subjects (Poems are on the paper etc) so it is technically possible to get a's in these and A's in other honors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

DeecoBBK wrote: »
    Hoping to do Computer Application in DCU next year but I am only doing three higher level subjects.
    The course last year was 400 points. And I can only get a maximum of 480 points.
    My career guidance teacher says this is unrealistic and I should look into plc courses. My question is, is this a realistic goal giving the current amount of HL subjects I am doing?
    English- Higher
    Chemistry - Higher
    Biology - Higher
    Maths - Ordinary
    D.C.G - Ordinary
    French - Ordinary
    Thanks.

Only you can say whether or not it is realistic?

Assuming even A2s (to allow for a bit of leeway) in the Ordinary Level subjects, that would be 150 points.

That would leave you needing 250 between the three higher level subjects: Or 3 B1s.

Are you capable of this? Are your grades in classwork and tests up to this standard?

This shouldn't be an all or nothing situation between the degree in DCU and a PLC. Are there other similar courses in other colleges that you would be interested in that you can also put on the CAO where the points may be slightly less?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DeecoBBK

English is very tough one to A1. Chemistry and biology definitely doable though.
    Yeah I think you're right there, I am aiming for A1s in biology and chemistry as those are my strongest subjects. Still we'll see how the mocks go, I am feeling more optimistic about it now though.

Advertisement