Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookkeeping/Accounting Job with No Experience

Options
  • 08-12-2013 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am currently studying the first year of a two-year, part-time accounting technicians course, (Certificate for Accounting Technicians). To qualify as an accounting technician, I must obtain the equivalent of two years full-time work experience in a relevant job. For example, bookkeeping.

The trouble is when searching for relevant jobs, they all require prior experience and most of the time, knowledge of SAGE and other commonly used software in the sector.

I am working in a supermarket as part of a Christmas contract presently. It's my first proper job.

Could someone give me some advice as to what I should do to get started in a relevant job? What sort of businesses/people would be willing to take on someone with no experience whatsoever, and under what circumstances?

I would be willing to work for nothing for a while to "get a foot in the door", but I don't know about the legality of that. Would everything have to be official? Would it be classed as an unpaid internship? (If such a thing exists). Full-time or part-time would be great. The key thing is getting some hands-on practical experience of office work. Are there any free trial or open-source programs I should download to start getting familiar with? I have a great knowledge of Microsoft Word and I have a basic understanding of Excel, but that's it.

I know I'm asking a whole multitude of questions here. But, I'd really appreciate some advice.

Comments

Advertisement