Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick Street

• 08-12-2013 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Anyone know whats happening recently at the Opera Centre site. There's seems to be a demolition crew attacking the old Workspace building for the last few weeks at the back, near the old Quinns pub. And noticed yesterday, they've taken down the scaffolding along Patrick Street side of the site. Buildings look in the same or even slightly worse condition than they were before it went up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

All the buildings on Patrick street have been pinned as the facades were detaching from the main buildings. Workspace is being knocked for a car park iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If you look along where the centra was the front of the shop front has been removed and the lintel is clearly sagging, dangerously looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Beer Baron wrote: »
    If you look along where the centra was the front of the shop front has been removed and the lintel is clearly sagging, dangerously looking.

thats what I thought. one or two of the buildings look in a bad way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Noticed it yesterday myself, looks like they pulled off the store facia and found it dodgy underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

It's a disgrace really you wouldn't see it in any other town or city in the country and if you did you'd be truly shocked. First impression for someone who has never visited the place coming in from that side of the town really reinforces Limericks reputation as a grim place lacking character and atmosphere.

It would be bad enough if it was a row of boarded up buildings in a back street or alley but it's the beginning of the main thoroughfare leading to the centre of the town. I don't know how the people of Limerick stand for it, it's been like that for ages now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

vkid wrote: »
    Anyone know whats happening recently at the Opera Centre site. There's seems to be a demolition crew attacking the old Workspace building for the last few weeks at the back, near the old Quinns pub. And noticed yesterday, they've taken down the scaffolding along Patrick Street side of the site. Buildings look in the same or even slightly worse condition than they were before it went up?

The same thought occurred to me the other day when passing by. They look dog rough! Some of the parapets have been rebuilt in mismatching bricks and ugly, fat cement strap pointing has been applied to some facades. This is a totally discredited practice in the conservation of historic buildings. Although to be fair it's perfectly fitting considering Limericks past record in terms of protecting it's heritage!

Now that the scaffolding has been removed the full horror of the vast bank of empty buildings has been revealed once again. It's such a bleak streetscape below there. We really need to get those premises filled again.

With the exception of the Catherine Hayes house every one of those buildings was occupied prior to the businesses being turfed out by the developers behind the "opera centre" project in 2007/2008!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We can assume that the UL announcement today about a City Campus will in fact be the Opera Centre. The Media are saying it whilst also saying "although not confirmed, it's believed..............."

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

It's an awful shame to see that part of the city centre in the condition that it is in.To be honest i would have preferred a shopping centre but at least something is going in there.It's great that it's getting sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

So...a NAMA-owned site (supposedly in negotiations with Limerick City Council), a privately owned building, and a species of wild bird are the top three things that need improvement in Limerick ???

You really lead a sheltered life if that's your top 3 moans about Limerick ;).

.....and then you feel the need to edit your post.
    must have found a new top 3 moans about limerick ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

It's an awful shame to see that part of the city centre in the condition that it is in.To be honest i would have preferred a shopping centre but at least something is going in there.It's great that it's getting sorted.

The ramblings of a pathetic troll.Probably a Dub with an inferiority complex or something!Rebels Abu and fcuk the begrudgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

The ramblings of a pathetic troll.Probably a Dub with an inferiority complex or something!Rebels Abu and fcuk the begrudgers.

The poster is referring to Patrick's Street Limerick, not Patrick's Street Cork.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

I see Patricks street is now home to Limericks newest animal named pub!

The Red Hen...

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I wasn't going to dignify this with a response but i never knew that the expression Rebels Abu is used in Limerick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I wasn't going to dignify this with a response but i never knew that the expression Rebels Abu is used in Limerick!

Mod Post: Would not start baiting if I were you. Especially when you used the exact same sentence in the Cork forum as the one you are now quoting.

If any more of the row you and Sensormatic were having over there continues in this forum, then some breaks from this forum will be handed out.

Advertisement