Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty unused iphone 5

Options
  • 08-12-2013 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Does anyone know what the situation is with regard to getting a faulty phone that has never been used replaced outside the 7 day cooling off period.It was bought as a birthday present a month ago only opened yesterday.We have been told we have to get it repaired and they wont replace it....

Any help/thoughts much appreciated

Regards
    Bikerbhoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Who won't replace it?
    Get on to Apple.
    They should replace it if it was faulty.
    I got a replacement off apple for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Go to apple.ie/support put the phones serial number in and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

blade1 wrote: »
    Who won't replace it?
    Get on to Apple.
    They should replace it if it was faulty.
    I got a replacement off apple for free.

Carphone Warehouse.... Staff attitude was another issue but thats for another day. .
    We were on to a guy in head office (god knows where that is) for 45 min yesterday we have to go back to store today and get staff member to call them and go through it all again its just so annoying....

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Carphone Warehouse.... Staff attitude was another issue but thats for another day. .
    We were on to a guy in head office (god knows where that is) for 45 min yesterday we have to go back to store today and get staff member to call them and go through it all again its just so annoying....

With Apple you always go to their support. You don't even have to call them. They call you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Apple's support has improved dramatically over the years. However keep record of all your dealings with them, your contract of sale and consumer rights are with the retailer, a manufacturer may withdraw support at any time.

Don't be afraid of the small claims procedure, but as others have said Apple may be the path of least resistance.

• Advertisement

RESOLVED.......Got a new phone today

Thanks everyone for your help.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bepolite wrote: »
    Apple's support has improved dramatically over the years. However keep record of all your dealings with them, your contract of sale and consumer rights are with the retailer, a manufacturer may withdraw support at any time.

Don't be afraid of the small claims procedure, but as others have said Apple may be the path of least resistance.

Improved recently ?

Its been good for at least 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Improved recently ?

Its been good for at least 10 years.

There service in relation to ipods a few years ago was woeful. They also used to have an insistence that retailers only allow them to deal with repairs etc, which was contrary to consumer law.

They still only provide 2 years contrary to Irish consumer rights.

Its occurred to me that it could have been 10 years ago I was selling ipods, thanks for making me feel old Keith! :pac:

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    RESOLVED.......Got a new phone today

Thanks everyone for your help.....

Through carphone warehouse?

mad muffin wrote: »
    Through carphone warehouse?

YES.... we got a call from the manager of the store who the previous day was the one who told us it couldnt be changed, Carphone Warehouse head office had been on to him and instructed him to replace faulty phone.

I didnt contact Apple as I wanted to see how CPW handled it first..

Thanks again everyone for the input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

They also used to have an insistence that retailers only allow them to deal with repairs etc, which was contrary to consumer law.

They pretty much still do, they ask for details that a retailer won't know when dealing with returns/repairs, data protection is a common reason for stuff like this nowadays though! Nintendo won't give out unlock codes for 3DS's if you forget the parental code, pretty funny stuff when the kids puts it on and the parent gets enraged at you cause you can't fix it!

EDIT: Also they want to talk the customer through typical reset procedures first!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bepolite wrote: »
    There service in relation to ipods a few years ago was woeful. They also used to have an insistence that retailers only allow them to deal with repairs etc, which was contrary to consumer law.

They still only provide 2 years contrary to Irish consumer rights.

Its occurred to me that it could have been 10 years ago I was selling ipods, thanks for making me feel old Keith! :pac:

In fairness this was in response to the retailers RMAing iPhones/iPods and a massive amount of them were "No Fault Found" as it was a software issue.

It was found that the whole experience of dealing with the customer directly and shipping a return box to them was far better than just going into the shop and having them be the middle man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

As an aside, never let anyone "repair" your iPhone while under warranty. Apple will replace it with an as-new refurbished phone if any issue under warranty. No chance I'd let someone like phonemenders open it...

Advertisement