Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grinder recommendations

• 08-12-2013 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a grinder to go with my gaggia classic machine. I have a budget of 200. I was looking at gaggia mdf or baratza encore but I'm not sure if this is suitable for espresso. Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

I don't think the Encore is suitable for espresso, will not grind fine enough. I have the MDF & it's ok. The Sage Smart Grinder is very good value but may be out of your budget. It allows for more precise then the MDF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

The budget espresso grinder that I see most recommended on coffee forums is the Iberital MC2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

The budget espresso grinder that I see most recommended on coffee forums is the Iberital MC2.

MC2 is a good starting point. Very noisy grinder though.
    You could try to get a 2nd hand Mazzer mini or MC4 via eBay or even Gumtree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭kenobee

I used to grind my beans for years, but I now find sealed pre-ground coffee to be fine and the convenience outweighs any possible taste improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

kenobee wrote: »
    I used to grind my beans for years, but I now find sealed pre-ground coffee to be fine and the convenience outweighs any possible taste improvement.

Sorry, I have to disagree with this 100℅, especially if grinding for espresso.
    Ground coffee will become stale a lot quicker than beans plus preground is not going to be dialled in and just right for an individual espresso machine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

I have one listed on Adverts that you might like.

http://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/brasilia-coffee-grinder/2527962

We can negotiate on price. It's a top brand as you'll see from a little research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Sorry, I have to disagree with this 100℅, especially if grinding for espresso.
    Ground coffee will become stale a lot quicker than beans plus preground is not going to be dialled in and just right for an individual espresso machine.

I agree as well. In fact, not only the taste disappears shortly after, I can barely get any crema with pregrounded coffee. Specially the ones from the shop such as Illy/Lavazza... not that I have tried recently though

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Don't mean to hijack thread, but I'm also looking for a grinder- although a small hand operated one like a porlex.
    Was looking at these
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TIAMO-Ceramic-Coffee-Grinder-Black/dp/B0073EIG1Q/ref=pd_cp_kh_2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Skerton-MSCS-2TB-Coffee-Mill/dp/B001802PIQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1386592926&sr=8-5&keywords=porlex+coffee+grinder

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Porlex-345-12541-Tall-Hand-Grinder/dp/B0002JZCF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386611160&sr=8-1&keywords=porlex+coffee+grinder

Anybody recommend one? I've heard great things about the Porlex, but the others look handier for doing larger amounts.

Cheers.

I've got the Hario Mini, which I believe has the same internals as the Skerton (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not in love with it. I drink mostly espresso-based drinks and I find it hard to get consistent grinds out of it. It will definitely grind as fine as you're likely to want (right down to Turkish), but it's tricky enough to get a grind that's sufficiently fine that won't choke my machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Hand grinders such as the Hario or Porlex are good for drip, passable for french press and inadequate for espresso.
    There are hand grinders that are good for espresso, such as the OE hand grinders.

• Advertisement

There is a guy in adverts about to sell an MC2 for 55 euro!!!

Unbelievable price for such a great ginder, maybe you want to have a chat with him?

link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Bohrio wrote: »

Unbelievable price for such a great ginder, maybe you want to have a chat with him?

link

Looks like you just got yourself a nice office grinder :)

I've got the Hario Mini, which I believe has the same internals as the Skerton (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not in love with it. I drink mostly espresso-based drinks and I find it hard to get consistent grinds out of it. It will definitely grind as fine as you're likely to want (right down to Turkish), but it's tricky enough to get a grind that's sufficiently fine that won't choke my machine.
    Thanks for letting me know, I'm grinding for an aeropress/drip- so should be ok?

Bohrio wrote: »

link
    Seems to be withdrawn, boo :(

zacmorris wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know, I'm grinding for an aeropress/drip- so should be ok?

as I mentioned above, it is great for that usage, really can't beat it for value for money

donnacha wrote: »
    Looks like you just got yourself a nice office grinder :)

I think the seller got fed up one of the buyers as he turned out to be a nice fella...

Yeah I thought about it but I already have an MC2 sitting at home gathering dust. Also, the Iberital is quite noisy so might not be as inconspicuous as I want to! lol Imagine 11 am in the office, everyone working away and then all of the sudden ggggrrrhhhhhhhh... there is me grinding coffee

What a great grinder it is!

If people are interested he might put it back for sale... I can't blame him though... sometimes I feel like doing the same myself

Jezek wrote: »
    Hand grinders such as the Hario or Porlex are good for drip, passable for french press and inadequate for espresso.

Why do you say this? The Harios will grind even finer than espresso grinds. See this video review

The woman in it knows her stuff although the inane patter is a bit hard to take.

Why do you say this? The Harios will grind even finer than espresso grinds. See this video review

The woman in it knows her stuff although the inane patter is a bit hard to take.

It does grind enough to probably choke most machines, but does not have the fine adjustability needed to dial in an espresso.

I alsoo doubt it grinds as consistently as needed - but don't know if there is evidence about this.

edit: seattle gear know their stuff but also give a positive review to soo many things they sell. Definitely take their reviews with a big pinch of salt.

Ended up going porlex- fantastic little grinder :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have been using my Hario Skerton for almost ten days now, and in that time, have gotten through around a kg of beans. I use it on the third notch for my aeropress, which takes around 30 seconds to grind (12.5g). Results have been really good. Nice smooth grinding process, and looks to me like it has superb consistency in the grind.

I'd imagine you could make an espresso grind (I reckon the second notch would be pretty close), but the effort involved would be pretty considerable and as Jezek pointed out, you just wouldn't have the adjustability needed to hit your target espresso brew times (notch 1 is probably too fine, notch 2 is likely pretty close and notch 3 probably isn't fine enough). Still, a cracking grinder for those of us looking for a great coffee experience without the investment of going down the espresso route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

If you have a small grommet that will fit under the nut it will make the grinder a lot better.
    I found when I was using mine that the nut would loosen and the grind size would change giving an inconsistent cup.
    I placed a small rubber grommet under the nut and its been fine ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I spotted the Sage grinder in Coffee Angel a few months ago (when will they ever reopen on South Anne Street). I immediately dismissed it because of the celebrity endorsement, but a modest level of digging suggested it might actually be pretty good. I popped back on to the CA website to see that they also have the Baratza Virtuoso for the same price.

I'll be upgrading from the Gaggia MDF and I use the Gaggia Classic (which almost certainly needs a service). Despite years of telling myself i'll learn a little more I'm a hit and miss grinder, doser and tamper (each of these steps still goes wrong) of espresso coffee.

Any recommendations (between the two mentioned, or any others? Or is there anything in the upgrade for me that merits it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

uberwolf wrote: »
    I spotted the Sage grinder in Coffee Angel a few months ago (when will they ever reopen on South Anne Street)

Tuesday according to their twitter page

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

My Hario is in the air, should be here in a few days. Can't wait. I'll be using it for Aeropress only.

Looking at that Sage now........looks the biz.
    ......must......get........

Planet X wrote: »
    Looking at that Sage now........looks the biz.
    ......must......get........
    Have been mulling it over for quite a while myself. The best prices I have found are for the Gastroback 42639 (exact same model - re-badged for the German market - may need to change plug): Amazon.de - €208 delivered, and Cyberport.de for the same price. So you get it for around €50 less, with the added risk that if anything goes wrong, you may need to ship it back to Germany.

I just went with Coffee Angel. Local and available for advice.

Was in Pembroke Street branch yesterday for a bag :)

• Advertisement

I'm all for shopping local, but when the cost is a 25% premium (which is likely going directly to Heston Blumenthal for his product endorsement), I'll save my money and spend the savings on coffee from an Irish roaster. Ask them in CoffeeAngel if they'd rather sell you a grinder, or €50 worth of coffee beans. :)

I'm all for shopping local, but when the cost is a 25% premium (which is likely going directly to Heston Blumenthal for his product endorsement), I'll save my money and spend the savings on coffee from an Irish roaster. Ask them in CoffeeAngel if they'd rather sell you a grinder, or €50 worth of coffee beans. :)

16% premium by the time the product is in my hand and the free bag of beans that was thrown in is allowed for. ;)

The owner also gave me free run of his time to answer queries that I had and to give me some advice.

16% premium by the time the product is in my hand and the free bag of beans that was thrown in is allowed for. ;)

The owner also gave me free run of his time to answer queries that I had and to give me some advice.
    Good deal so! I'll remember that, when I'm trying to ship my Gastroback back to Germany. :)

@uber. Did you get the Sage then? Good machine?

@uber. Did you get the Sage then? Good machine?

I did. Seems to be. I haven't really had the time to get into it too much, but it does seem to do what I had hoped i.e. deliver a consistent dose. I'm going to have to tinker some more to dial it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I did. Seems to be. I haven't really had the time to get into it too much, but it does seem to do what I had hoped i.e. deliver a consistent dose. I'm going to have to tinker some more to dial it in.

How loud is it while grinding?

• Advertisement

quieter than my gaggia classic. A good bit quieter now that I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I half wish now that I didn't buy my Bodum hopper grinder, which I have to say is very good. I delivers a perfect Aeropress grind, though the espresso grind might not be quite fine enough for a proper espresso machine. Dose control is rudimentary, but that's what a weighing scales is for!

Really happy with my Sage/Gastroback grinder. Only have it a day, but so far, it has worked out extremely well. While it probably does not offer the fine control needed to perfect the timing for an espresso shot, it's a massive improvement over my Hario hand-grinder, in terms of consistency (and effort!). The ease of changing the grind setting is wonderful, and taking it apart to clean is a charm. Have used it primarily for Aeropress (positioning the grind setting on the final setting before it switches over to espresso shots (under the second letter 'r' for percolator).

I have also used it to grind coffee for the refillable stainless steel mycoffeestar pod, which gets an occasional use in the work Nespresso machine, and makes an almost acceptable espresso. I couldn't find a grind setting on my Hario that would allow effective flow of coffee through the re-usable pod, so it was great to be able to try a couple of settings and finally get it working (works on coarsest espresso setting).

Top tip: A used Sacla pesto jar fits perfectly in the grinder collector, to take your coffee to work.

Damn!!!!! :D:D Going to have to pull the trigger!

While it probably does not offer the fine control needed to perfect the timing for an espresso shot,

if I'm reading you right, you can go manual in your dose timing as well (by holding rather than tapping either of the start/cancel buttons)

• Advertisement

if I'm reading you right, you can go manual in your dose timing as well (by holding rather than tapping either of the start/cancel buttons)

I was referring to the optimal timing when pulling an espresso shot, rather than grind time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I have also used it to grind coffee for the refillable stainless steel mycoffeestar pod, which gets an occasional use in the work Nespresso machine, and makes an almost acceptable espresso.

That looks fantastic!

Anybody know if there's something similar for Dolce Gusto?

pointer28 wrote: »
    That looks fantastic!

Anybody know if there's something similar for Dolce Gusto?
    Note the emphasis on the words 'almost acceptable'! While it does mean that you can use your freshly ground coffee (and the product may be more environmentally friendly), the results are not quite as good as using a disposable pod. I may try a few slightly courser settings, to see if that improves the flow. It would be great to have have an effective solution, as packed, it only uses around 6g of coffee (versus the 12g I use in my Aeropress).

What about maintenance/repair issues if there are problems with a Sage grinder God forbid. Would CA look after the buyer or do you send the unit abroad for servicing?

What about maintenance/repair issues if there are problems with a Sage grinder God forbid. Would CA look after the buyer or do you send the unit abroad for servicing?

same as any purchase, your contract is with the retailer. They're responsible for warranty issues.

Bought the Baratza Encore yesterday from CA. Couldn't justify spending more on the Sage or others as all I use it is for the AP.
    I like it though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vermilions

Bought the Baratza Encore yesterday from CA. Couldn't justify spending more on the Sage or others as all I use it is for the AP.
    I like it though :)

How is the Encore holding up? I want to get a proper grinder now that I've been using the Hario Mini Mill for some time now and feeling a bit fed up with it sometimes...

I think the Hario is a little like a gateway drug. Before you had one, you weren't really sure if you wanted a grinder. But now that you have one, you need something stronger!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vermilions

I think the Hario is a little like a gateway drug. Before you had one, you weren't really sure if you wanted a grinder. But now that you have one, you need something stronger!

Perfect analogy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Ok I don't want to get hooked on gateway drugs or any kind but I am becoming more and more tempted to move to home espresso.

Would I be right in thinking the Sage grinder would be the minimum level for decent home espresso?

Similarly for espresso machine, what would be the minimum level you'd go for, for quality?

I would prefer to buy once and buy well, rather than go cut a corner and quickly I should have paid more. On the other hand I don't want home espresso to take over my life.

Cheers guys!

• Advertisement
Advertisement