Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving a dog as a pet for someone else.

• 08-12-2013 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭

I really want to do this.
    I think it's exactly what the couple I want to give a dog to need.
    They're recently retired, need something to keep them busy and to give attention to, and also for security around their home.
    I know they'd love a dog if they were given it.
    However, when asked, they say they don't want a pet.
    Should I get them one anyways?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,388 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Addle wrote: »

No off course not. They said they didn't want it. This is not a book or a vase you are giving them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I know I shouldn't!

They took on a pet before they didn't want in advance and loved it so much. Were very, very sad when it passed.

They don't know what's good for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Absolutely not!!

Never ever give someone a pet! It's a decision people need to make for themselves. Giving a pet is giving a lifetime responsibility.

I was given a goldfish as a gift once and it annoyed me that I had to now organise someone to mind the fish if I was away, or had to get home in time to feed the fish, clean the tank etc... And that's only a goldfish! A dog is a far more time consuming responsibility.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Which part of this do you not understand?

• Advertisement

A dog is a far more time consuming responsibility.

That's exactly what they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

A German Shepherd would be a very loyal pet and also offer great Security.
    They would grow to love it.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Which part of this do you not understand?

I understand that they say they don't want a dog, but I really believe they need one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Maybe they can't afford a dog?
    Maybe they don't want to go through the grieving process again?
    Maybe in their retirement they're planning a nice cruise and wouldn't be able to afford it when they add kennelling fees on top?
    Maybe they're planning on downsizing their home?
    Maybe they haven't the patience to train another dog?
    Maybe you should let THEM decide what to do with THEIR lives?
    Maybe DO take no for an answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

As an adult I would be very insulted for someone to presume to tell me what I need. Never mind if I specifically said I didn't want something and they went to do it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Definitely not, they may just not want the responsibility, of course, if you gave them a dog, they'd probably get attached to it if they decided to keep it, that's what humans do, get emotionally attached to others. But that doesn't mean they want one, it's quite time consuming, plus taking care of the dog can take a somewhat sizable chunk out of your wallet(not huge, but it can be considerable). So maybe they truly don't want one. And if someone does want a dog, they need to come face to face with the dog they're getting and make the decision after seeing the dog in person. I remember a few years ago my grandmother wanted a dog, but due to her being quite old was unable to go to a shelter and adopt one herself. So, she sent my mother to adopt one for her. My mother went and adopted a great Jack Russel terrier, very intelligent, trained, perfect for the lifestyle my grandmother was living, but she just didn't bond with him and he ended up becoming ours a few months later. So even if they did want a dog, it's not something that should be gifted, they need to make the decision themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I understand that they say they don't want a dog, but I really believe they need one.
    And are you ready to be the dog carer for the next 17 years if it don't work out? Are you willing to pay for their insurance, food, and taking care of it when they need to go somewhere (for what ever reason for longer then 8h)?

If the answer is no to any of those questions you're insulting them by giving them a dog.

They say no to everything!

I won't get one without their ok, but really, a pet would be cathartic for them.

Nody wrote: »
    And are you ready to be the dog carer for the next 17 years if it don't work out? Are you willing to pay for their insurance, food, and taking care of it when they need to go somewhere (for what ever reason for longer then 8h)?
    Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

They say no to everything!

I won't get one without their ok, but really, a pet would be cathartic for them.

Not sure why you came on here to ask the question when you've clearly made up your mind. If someone presumed they knew better than me what I wanted I'd be crossing their number out of my phone book to be honest, they've said no and as another poster said, what part of that don't you understand?

If you want a dog for yourself, fair enough, go through the correct channels and get one, but they don't want one so don't get them one and perhaps don't stick your nose into their lives and presume you know what's best for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭fondue

I think the OP must be having a laugh to get a reaction. Why would you even consider getting someone a living thing they said they didn't want?! So strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Who are you to decide what another adult needs? Very immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I really want to do this.
    I think it's exactly what the couple I want to give a dog to need.
    They're recently retired, need something to keep them busy and to give attention to, and also for security around their home.
    I know they'd love a dog if they were given it.
    EVERY FRICKING CHRISTMAS:mad: The same damn thing, people thinking that an animal is a gift. Thanks to attitudes like Addle's the pounds and rescues will be even more inundated with unwanted Christmas pets come January/February.

Incidentally, there will be very few, if any rescues doing rehoming between now and late January, as they know that many of the animals rehomed now will be dumped after Christmas.

Who are you to decide what another adult needs? Very immature.

As the only person who visits this couple, I feel bad for them. They need something. I think a dog is perfect for them. I'm just trying to help them. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭CD8ED

I can't decide if addle is a troll or serious, both make me sad though.

• Advertisement

CD8ED wrote: »
    I can't decide if addle is a troll or serious, both make me sad though.

I am serious.
    Really, I can't see the issue with wanting someone to have company an a preoccupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

As the only person who visits this couple, I feel bad for them. They need something. I think a dog is perfect for them. I'm just trying to help them. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Have a further think as to what is "perfect" for them and get that. Do not get a dog for someone who has said they do not want one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Addle, why don't you get a dog, walk it, feed it, kennel it and take it round to visit this couple, but make sure you bring it home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I understand where you are coming from. Personally I think that my bf patents (retired) would benefit from having a dog. Companionship and help keep them active etc.

HOWEVER, they do not need the extra cost. The extra responsibility. Added inflexibility in being able to go places. Additional cleaning from dog hair. Even small things like cleaning up animal poo -why would I force them to do that.

They have said no -stay out of it.

Addle, why don't you get a dog, walk it, feed it, kennel it and take it round to visit this couple, but make sure you bring it home too.

I would, but I don't have the time or space a pet dog deserves.
    The couple do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I am serious.
    Really, I can't see the issue with wanting someone to have company an a preoccupation.

There is nothing wrong with it, but the reality is they have told you that it is not what they want. Why not leave it a while and approach the issue with them again, just don't do it without permission. Not only is it sad for the animal involved, but it is very very insulting to be told what you need. Your plan is a very short sighted way of approaching their perceived need for company.

I know a couple and the man recently retired, their dog died 8 months ago and they have said that a part of them, despite missing the dog, is glad they have the freedom to enjoy their retirement.

You say they're recently retired, give them a chance to settle into this, they might decide to move to timbuktwo and start to have adventures us working plebs can only dream of - or, they might decide after a few months that they could really do with the company and be thankful for your help in finding them a pet when they decide they're ready for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I am serious.

So get them involved in some active retirement programs.

Do you own a dog yourself? Could you bring your dog around for visits?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭CD8ED

Sure why don't ya get them two dogs, in case the first dog needs company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I think this is absolutely insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I would, but I don't have the time or space a pet dog deserves.
    The couple do.

Aw, you don't have time or space for a dog :-(

And you know a couple who don't want a dog :-(

Looks like no one should get a dog

Move on - think of a better present for this couple. Generally it is best to buy a present that the recipient wants - this present will be appreciated.

No one would appreciate getting a dog they don't want.

And it would not be fair on the dog either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement