Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving a dog as a pet for someone else.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

CD8ED wrote: »
    Sure why don't ya get them two dogs, in case the first dog needs company?

Absolutely - or maybe 3 in case anything happens to one and the one left behind gets lonely. Then again you run the risk of one being left out............... okay, get 4, that's the only logical thing to do. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What will happen the poor animal when this old couple leave this earth, are you going to look after it, obviously not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Get them a cat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That you help them is very laudable op, and I'm sure they appreciate your help.
    However, they have told you they don't want a dog. So, how could getting them something they don't want be of benefit to them? You're asking a huge amount of them, and making a hell of a lot of assumptions, which would all be very well if it wasn't a real, living creature that'll suffer if you've got this all wrong. They've told you they don't want a dog.... So what's to be questioned here? They don't want one. End of.

I run a rescue, and there have been two occasions where the person who applied for the dog, went through the whole home-check procedure and all, intended the dog to be a present for someone else altogether.
    In both cases, the dog was back with me within days, leaving behind a livid "giftee", a confused dog, a furious me, and a red-faced gifter. They had the best of intentions, just like you have, but boy oh boy, did they make the wrong call.

OP, why not either
    a) respect their wishes and forget the whole idea, or
    b) contact a rescue with a view to this couple fostering a dog to see how they get on... Dipping the toe so to speak, without making the full, lifetime commitment. At least that way, if the poop hits the fan, the dog wil have rescue back-up, and not end up strayed, walking the streets, in the pound, or perhaps worst of all, abandoned out in the garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Get them a cat.

They said they don't want a pet.
    A cat is a pet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭CD8ED

Whispered wrote: »
    Absolutely - or maybe 3 in case anything happens to one and the one left behind gets lonely. Then again you run the risk of one being left out............... okay, get 4, that's the only logical thing to do. :p

And best not to get them in the pound, get pure bred dogs that are genitically predisposed to certain health risks. The ones in the pound are broken anyway!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,325 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Addle wrote: »
    I am serious.
    Really, I can't see the issue with wanting someone to have company an a preoccupation.

Your intentions may be good, but that doesn't mean you're right. My sister had a dog when she lived at home with my parents. She then bought an apartment and couldn't bring the dog with her, which meant that my parents were left to look after the dog. My parents were already retired at this stage and were enjoying the freedom to do what they wanted, when they wanted to. Then all of a sudden they had a dog to look after which took that freedom away. They had to make sure if they went out that they were back in time to feed the dog, they had to try and find someone to look after the dog any time they wanted to go away and in later years as the dog's health was failing they had to bring her to the vet frequently. I know these are things that every dog owner has to do, but it's something they've signed up to themselves and know what's ahead of them. Imposing this on people when they've already said they don't want it is unfair and completely unacceptable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I would, but I don't have the time or space a pet dog deserves.
    The couple do.

Hang on a sec Addle... You say the above. Yet at the start of this thread, you were asked this question:
    Nody wrote: »
    And are you ready to be the dog carer for the next 17 years if it don't work out? Are you willing to pay for their insurance, food, and taking care of it when they need to go somewhere (for what ever reason for longer then 8h)?

If the answer is no to any of those questions you're insulting them by giving them a dog.

To which you replied:
    Yes.

Now it seems, you're trolling. Having a good old wind-up on a Sunday morning, eh?
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement