Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dud 100 euro notes being passed around

• 08-12-2013 1:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

I do some voluntary work,i cant say where,cos i dont want the shop to be hammered again by bascially scumbags.

There are dud 100 euro notes being passed around,just want to warn everybody here as we nearly got done,but thankfully there was a member of staff who recognised what a dud 100 euro note would look like,me on the other hand wouldnt have a clue what a dud 100 euro note would look like.

Handing over the 100 though i suppose made sense to this fella as he would get like 70 change back,and then we'd be left with the fake.

It shows me just how vunerable we a really are,we have no machines or markers(like dunnes have) to see if money is fake.

Notice this guy didnt try tesco or dunnes or lidl,he tried a small shop with no means to check fake money.

I would say i would be able to recognise fake money if i had the marker,some other people have said scratching the surface of the money and if it crumbles its a fake.

Anyway just warning people,giving them a heads up this is what could happen in the run up to and after christmas.

Bewary of guys coming in with 100 euro notes..All is not what it seems..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm really sorry to hear this :( Could the business you work for get a marker to detect fake notes? I have no idea what they cost but it might save money in the long run. I have been in a lot of shops where they refuse to accept anything larger than a €50 note.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Yeah ive just been looking into it online,and there is a place called hotofficesupplies that sells them online for 3.39 will price them in town too maybe into limerick durning the week i will look in condells office supplies and see what they have on offer there..

I will have to bring it up at the volunteers meeting too(where the owner will be there),i made sure all the other staff that were on at different times knew,i just gave them a quick text and a heads up of whats happening.

But i do not have the owners number will have to look in the book for her number when im on again..

I just want to warn people in the clare area,and beyond that this could be a problem,i know usually when people hear of counterfeit money it is usually 20's or 50's but just beware a 100 euro note is being passed around..

It might be a good idea to alert the other traders on the street or contact the Chamber of Commerce too. Unfortunately, I'd say most businesses are on high alert these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its extremely easy to check a bank note. There is a small square on the bank note that you should be raised. If you scratch it you can feel the raised lines. This is lidl workers do and I do. Its extremely difficult to copy the raised texture on the bank note if you make a dud. I dont see shop using UV lights anymore as its the worst way to check for a dud.

OP there is like 13 security features on a EUR bank note. Just learn how to tell a few and you will be grand. But the scratch test is the best. Its quick and accurate

It might be a good idea to alert the other traders on the street or contact the Chamber of Commerce too. Unfortunately, I'd say most businesses are on high alert these days.
    Yeah i will bring it up with the owner in the meeting and make those suggestions to her too..

Its not on that we dont have markers or counterfeit detector machines,these things should be in place and staff should be trained to know what to do.

Volunteers in the shop where i volunteer do not know what to look for,only one member of staff other than myself is aware of what to look for,but then again i never came across a 100 euro note before,she had a good trained eye to spot the discrepancies..I know without the marker i wouldnt have a clue.

I think ill buy a marker for the shop off my own bat and drop it in on monday and tell the staff there what to look for - if the money is marked with the pen it should come up light,meaning its genuine and if it comes up dark after its marked - its a fake.

Its all i can do for now until the meeting comes up this tuesday..

• Advertisement

Its extremely easy to check a bank note. There is a small square on the bank note that you should be raised. If you scratch it you can feel the raised lines. This is lidl workers do and I do. Its extremely difficult to copy the raised texture on the bank note if you make a dud. I dont see shop using UV lights anymore as its the worst way to check for a dud.

OP there is like 13 security features on a EUR bank note. Just learn how to tell a few and you will be grand. But the scratch test is the best. Its quick and accurate

Yeah i will have to read the signs again,im familiar with the 20 and the 50 have looked at them many many times,theres the strip and the church window and all that,but not the 100 euro note will have to get a lend of a real one just to check it out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Yeah i will have to read the signs again,im familiar with the 20 and the 50 have looked at them many many times,theres the strip and the church window and all that,but not the 100 euro note will have to get a lend of a real one just to check it out..

But the €100 has a texture surface to scratch it. Maybe your shop shouldnt accept €100 notes. I work in a shop and have only seen one €100 in 4 months. And the only people I seen use them regularly were polish as they got them at foreign exchange.

Thankfully they didnt accept the 100 euro note,we would have been left with very little variation of change in the till and would have been stuck.

So we were hesitant to begin with in accepting the 100 euro note,and then a member of staff said thats a fake.

Being honest i think the gards should have been called,but we didnt have the number handy there are a lot of things wrong with where i volunteer being honest and i will have to bring those points up.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Thankfully they didnt accept the 100 euro note,we would have been left with very little variation of change in the till and would have been stuck.

So we were hesitant to begin with in accepting the 100 euro note,and then a member of staff said thats a fake.

Being honest i think the gards should have been called,but we didnt have the number handy there are a lot of things wrong with where i volunteer being honest and i will have to bring those points up.

I suppose as a rule don't accept €100 notes from here on. The guards should have been called but I supposed you take the risk of this person turning on you and how would you hold them until the guards come? It's a hard one, I work in retail and recently we got a €100 note and it was authentic looking, only for the money checker pen we would have accepted it. We managed to hang onto the note and call the guards. Hopefully nobody else was duped by this note.

Suspect Counterfeits

If you believe you are in possession of a suspect counterfeit the following actions should be taken:

Check the Security Features

Notes

There are many security features incorporated into euro banknotes that make them difficult to completely recreate. Many of these features can be checked manually.

Several features are detectable using the Feel-Look-Tilt test.

Feel:

The paper should be crisp and firm
    The paper will have raised ink areas on the front of the note

Look:

Hold the note up to a light and:

Look for the watermarks (see-through areas in the note that show an architectural design similar to the main design of the note, also a number watermark underneath and barcode watermark in the centre)
    Security thread down the centre of the note with perforations of denomination
    Perforations in the holographic foil showing the denomination and euro symbol
    See through number at the top left of the note

Tilt:

The holographic stripe or patch should change images and colours
    The iridescent stripe on the back of the lower denominations will shine and fade
    The opti-variable ink covering the numeral on the back of the higher denominations will change colour

The public security features of banknotes are fully described on the ECB website here.

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/euro/html/security_features.en.html

Coins

To examine suspect coins the following techniques could be used.

Visual inspection (possibly with a magnifying glass)

As compared with a known genuine coin, the suspect coin will have:

Poor quality image detail
    Different colour ring and/or core
    Edge lettering missing, incorrect spelling or font (using similar country coin)
    Different sizes
    Thickness, diameter
    Different sized ring or core
    Different Weight
    Hardness test

Some counterfeits bend, try bending the coin.

Magnet Test:

Genuine €2 and €1 coins are slightly magnetic. Using a magnet you should be able to lift the coin up, but with the weight of the coin and the slight magnetism you should be able to shake the coin off the magnet with ease.

Most counterfeit €2 and €1 coins are either very magnetic, non-magnetic, or just the ring is magnetic due to the materials used.

Genuine 50 cent coins are non-magnetic.

Further details on coins can be found on the ECB website here.

You could also compare the suspect note or coin with a known genuine specimen.

Source - Central Bank of Ireland Website.

https://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/notescoin/Pages/Suspect%20Counterfeits.aspx

• Advertisement

I suppose as a rule don't accept €100 notes from here on. The guards should have been called but I supposed you take the risk of this person turning on you and how would you hold them until the guards come? It's a hard one, I work in retail and recently we got a €100 note and it was authentic looking, only for the money checker pen we would have accepted it. We managed to hang onto the note and call the guards. Hopefully nobody else was duped by this note.

Thats what im thinking,i hope nobody else got caught like a small business or a local shop etc,there are so many cons out there,you really have to keep your eyes open.

I hope to god he doesnt come back to the shop or tries it on with a different person,sends a friend in etc..

You just dont know people get up to anything..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Even as consumers keep an eye out, counterfeit cash could be circulated without being checked guys.

A handy way is to use your thumb and rub it over the raised box on the front of the note. Less obvious then holding the note up to the light!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

You can get that marker pen in jimmys discount, I got it there for work, can't rem exact price but really cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Guys all these tests are well and good but it doesn't exactly lend itself to a flourishing relationship with honest customers. OK you've checked the authenticity but probably embarrassed and lost a customer. The marker works perfectly well, are cheap, available and most people expect it so aren't too bothered when it's done.

Guys all these tests are well and good but it doesn't exactly lend itself to a flourishing relationship with honest customers. OK you've checked the authenticity but probably embarrassed and lost a customer.

So tiptoeing around someones feelings is more important than knowing if what you are getting is a fake..?

And if you lose a customer over a counterfeit well they werent genuine in the first place.

Dunnes and tesco don't operate like that,if they did they would be getting in counterfiet money by the new time and outlets would be going bust.

This is a small shop im at and it has to be done as we are vunerable to going tits up if this kind of thing happens on a regular basis..

Are you saying its better to not know the authenticity of the note,and that sparing a customers feelings are more important??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Attach a small sign to the front of the till stating 'Due to the high volume of counterfeit notes in circulation, it is now our policy to check all bank notes for authenticity. Apologies for any offence caused'.
    In the shop where I work we check all bank notes from 20 euro up, using a detector pen - I can honestly say it has never caused offence and certainly has never lost us a customer! I've only come across one fake, and just advised the customer to return it to the bank where it was dispensed (yes, he'd withdrawn it from an ATM).
    The vast majority of shoppers will understand that they themselves aren't being held in suspicion - sure anyone could inadvertently accept a counterfeit note in change and pass it on without knowing a thing.
    On a similar theme, I picked up some leaflets in one of the banks during the summer which showed pictures of stolen notes (they had small and large dye stains, I presume they were taken from a Securicor van or ATM or similar during a robbery) and taped one up behind the till in the shop I work in, just to alert the other assistants to be on the ball when accepting notes. I'd imagine if you ask in the bank they could give you some of these leaflets too.

Yeah i know a guy who some years ago,took out 400 euro in fiftys from an ATM(Bank of Ireland),and he didnt realise they were fakes he went shopping,to a pub to meet up with a friend,and then did his last bit of shopping again,he was pulled over in pennys by security,as the man who returned with the counterfeits,he was done by them and all until he had to ring a work collegue to say that wasnt the situation,that he could vouch for him getting it out of the bank,he didnt have the bank reciept or anything..
    So in the end he was caught out.

EDIT: yeah i know what youre saying maybe put up a sign to explain our position on the situation,we used it there the other day(i bought it in condells office supplies in limerick very good shop),and there were no problems with customers,id say there used to the dunnes crowd checking for notes and lidls and tescos(all the supermarkets do it),so from what i could see nobody was offended.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

With regards to the raised bit, we had a dud 50 handed in once and it had a little smudge of superglue (we think) on that part so it felt like a normal note when it was scratched.

For a charity shop it'd be perfectly understandable to not accept anything over €50.

Yeah we would have been strapped for cash so they had a double take when that happened.

I dont think we would have taken it,then again an inexperienced staff member could have been on that day and who knows?

He came in with the 100 with the intention of clearing out the till of genuine notes.

Most people in newsagents and supermarkets,even small cornershops now and butchers use the counterfeit pen.

Ive even seen guys on the street selling xmas tress using them..

So you would be mad not to have one in your shop..Especially if its vunerable to attack,ie guys/girls trying their luck cos they dont think we have any security checks like the big shops.

So tiptoeing around someones feelings is more important than knowing if what you are getting is a fake..?

And if you lose a customer over a counterfeit well they werent genuine in the first place.

Dunnes and tesco don't operate like that,if they did they would be getting in counterfiet money by the new time and outlets would be going bust.

This is a small shop im at and it has to be done as we are vunerable to going tits up if this kind of thing happens on a regular basis..

Are you saying its better to not know the authenticity of the note,and that sparing a customers feelings are more important??
    Oh my god! If you had read my post correctly you would have noticed I said that the 'pen' is a perfectly fine test.
    The marker works perfectly well, are cheap, available and most people expect it so aren't too bothered when it's done.
    But no you didn't quote that part did you? Typical of some people on the Clare boards they just pick what they want from others comments, get up on their high horse and attack. I was suggesting a compromise! You don't get any bogus cash and the honest customer isn't embarrassed, everyone's happy! No wonder the shop you work in is about to go under if that's your disregard for customer service!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

MyKeyG wrote: »
    Oh my god! If you had read my post correctly you would have noticed I said that the 'pen' is a perfectly fine test. But no you didn't quote that part did you? Typical of some people on the Clare boards they just pick what they want from others comments, get up on their high horse and attack. I was suggesting a compromise! You don't get any bogus cash and the honest customer isn't embarrassed, everyone's happy! No wonder the shop you work in is about to go under if that's your disregard for customer service!

You won''t find this kind of behaviour anywhere on the "non-Clare" boards. Might be safer to hang out there anymore

Mod Warning

Please stop bickering guys

Apologies.

No wonder the shop you work in is about to go under if that's your disregard for customer service!

The shop isnt about to go under,but is a small shop and it could go under if we are careful to avoid offended customers,and take in dodgy notes.

You say that the checking of notes could cause offence,then go on to say checking with a pen is fine???

Whats the difference with the pen,the essence of it is its still a tool for checking the authenticity of notes,so explain the difference with the pen to me and as to why it wouldnt cause offence..

I believe the thread has achieved what the OP wanted - i.e to raise awareness of counterfeit money that is or maybe in circulation.

This thread has run its course so I'm locking it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement