Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

DIY Diesel Injector Cleaning

Options
  • 08-12-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Browsing through my Haynes manual, I noted that they say injectors could do with cleaning/replacing/refurb every 60,000 miles. Mine are well past that and the only cleaning they would get is the odd flush of Dipetane or STP additive, the latter I am more skeptical about effectiveness. I can't see it doing any harm if I take care when doing it.

I do not own an ultrasonic cleaner but I have noted some people using carburetor cleaner spray and a good soak which clears them up and also to do two at a time to avoid priming the fuel system and to make sure the engine is not too strained when starting.

Anyone have any experience? Thankfully, it is a VE TDI I have, I would be less interested messing around with a PD engine by myself - they seem more sensitive.

Thanks!
    bbk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I wouldn't take them out and clean them. I asked Nissan doc about this before and he said you risk getting dirt back inside the nozzle. Best to clean them from the inside out.

I've thought about trying this . I have a VP TDI engine in the van too. Might do it prior to my next service. They reckon it's best to do it then as it might contaminate the oil a bit.

How too: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=87948&page=4

I find just putting the boot down at some stage on every drive helps to keep them clear as much as anything else.

With that sort of mileage your looking at refurbing them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭GTE

I saw that video myself. Without knowing much about it, I would have thought that method would be less able to eat through and deposits compared to that big machine that Ed from Wheeler Dealers used once, a much longer process than the video method too.

I wonder would cleaning from both ends help, steeping and spraying the insides.

More research is needed for now.

Advertisement