Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pampering tips when you really need it

• 08-12-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies,

I have just suffered a silent miscarriage and had an ERPC the day before yesterday, it's a terrible loss and I feel devastated. Aside from the emotional pain, I feel physically wrecked too. My skin is in bits (I had bad, bad pregnancy acne), I weigh more than I did 10 weeks ago, I haven't done a thing with my hair all week.

My work Christmas party is the week after next. I am dreading it but I know getting back out and about is key to healing and moving forward. I would love some tips from you about how to make myself feel good, pampered and pretty again, despite the spots and weight and sadness etc.

What cheap and cheerful things do you do that always makes you feel good? What style clothes do you wear to feel good when you're not feeling like you're in good shape?
    Any tips to instantly lift my hair and stop me looking so flat/miserable?
    All pampering tips welcome.
    Thanks ladies :)

Comments

I'm so sorry :( I admire your attitude to getting past this time, but don't feel you have to rush back to normality, you deserve to take as long as you need.

Is there any way you could afford a day package at a day spa? A facial and manicure might be just what you need to boost yourself, or even a professional makeup for your work Xmas party might cheer you up and help you feel good about your appearance.

Failing that, if you could put a day aside to do a home hair treatment, pedi and mani, get a really good scrub and give yourself a top to toe exfoliation, a nice body moisturiser, a good face scrub and a mask that suits your skin type, and plenty of quiet time and hot water so you can get through the various jobs at a leisurely pace with lots of time to relax in between, it would do you a world of good. You don't need expensive products, just some time to invest in being good to yourself.

As for clothes, if you had anything in your wardrobe that always made you feel good pre-pregnancy, then that's usually the style to go for. Most of us have at least one outfit that we always felt confident in, so use that as a guide.

Good luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Hi Candie, thank you for replying.
    I'm actually pretty broke right now with Christmas looming and the two weeks I'm missing from work. I don't even have one present bought for Christmas yet. I really like the idea of a top to toe exfoliation and a hair treatment. I remember last year getting a really nice Soap & Glory exfoliator so I might buy a pot of that! Maybe even a colour booster for my hair too.

Lovely, anything that might make you feel better is a great idea. :)

One thing I've always found great for exfoliation are those gloves. They're only about 2 euro and all you need is squirt of nice shower gel and you're in business. I don't have sensitive or very dry skin, so you might find them a bit too coarse if you do. Soap and Glory's breakfast scrub is lovely and grainy, if thats the one you're thinking of. I think they have a body butter to match if you're flush enough for them both. Montange Jeunesse do nice face masks in sachets, including a nice cloth one with an orangy smell, and the sachets are really cheap. The breakfast scrub and the body butter are great for your feet too, specially if you pop some little cotton socks on after slathering it on. Works well on hands too.

A really reasonable deep moisturiser for hair is the herbal essences Hello Hydration in the blue tub. It's no more than 5 euro, and I put it on after any colour, put an old shower cap over and a towel on top, and just leave it for a few hours or as long as you can, and your hair is supersoft and shiny afterwards. There are more expensive ones that might be better, but this is cheap enough to use lots of it without feeling guilty.

Look after yourself Isolt, and try enjoy Christmas as much as you can. Nobody will care that you didn't get your shopping done, as long as they see you, so don't put yourself under any pressure. :)

Candie wrote: »
    Montange Jeunesse do nice face masks in sachets, including a nice cloth one with an orangy smell, and the sachets are really cheap.

This sounds great, where can I buy them? A face mask is deffo on the cards!
    Thanks for all you input! Really appreciate it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Sorry to hear of your troubles..:(

Ever try olia hair colours or the superdrug own brand hair colours they are cheaper and conditioning hair colours too..

I find superdrug much more reasonable than boots for pricing..I bought some exfoliator and hair mask in dealz for 1.49 and did that the other day then after i exfoliated my whole body and did my hair in the hair mask,i stepped into a pre prepared bath with a lush bath bomb.
    I even got a designer perfume by victoria beckham in dealz(the real thing!!) for a tenner.
    Then i coloured my hair with olia and bleached my teeth,with the superdrug toothbleach.

After that i had a hot chocolate,called cafe direct bought it in dunnes for 2.99..

Thats usuallly what i do when i treat myself which is usually every month..

• Advertisement

Isolt wrote: »
    This sounds great, where can I buy them? A face mask is deffo on the cards!
    Thanks for all you input! Really appreciate it :)

I think Boots stock them, and some supermarkets (Dunnes I'm pretty sure of). I think they do a peel off one that was pretty nice and fresh feeling too. I also love plain old St Ives face scrub, I think it gives a great result. I use the invigorating one, and it's cheap enough to use on your hands etc.

You're welcome :)

Hotbabe, that sounds like a really nice pampering session. I remember when there was a superdrug in Dublin and I loved it. Definitely better value than boots. I thought all superdrugs were gone now?
    I didn't even think of dealz but now that you mention it, they do have some nice little pampering treats for next to nothing. That's definitely one place I'm going to look. Thanks!!

I dont know about dublin but limerick have a superdrug on william street,one of the main streets in limerick just off o connell street.

I looked up a link to see what superdrugs are available in dublin and here's one:

http://ie.wowcity.com/dublin/dublin/?what=superdrug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time OP.
    Yes, most defo TLC moments for yourself. Beyond deserve it.

- Hair. Yep a colour boost (home dye kit). Bout e6/7 I think.
    - I defo second the exoliating gloves. Bout e4/5. Alls you need is a dollop of nice fresh shower gel (e.g., just bought Original source Lemon scent in supermarket for e1.79.)
    - Nails. Now, if you do have a spare e20, maybe a french shellac. If you dont, you could just get a normal file/polish in most beauty salons for about e10. Looking down at nice nails is always a refresher. Also, you could do your toe nails yourself. Lashings of moisturiser on your feet and on with your socks.
    - Drink loads of water. And if you can/feel like it, stay away from white carbs, i.e., white anything bread/chips/biscuits/rice (except for wholegrain things). And up your fruit/veg intake. Even in a week, you'd feel a difference.

dellas1979 wrote: »
    And if you can/feel like it, stay away from white carbs, i.e., white anything bread/chips/biscuits/rice (except for wholegrain things). And up your fruit/veg intake. Even in a week, you'd feel a difference.

That is a very good point, a think a gentle detox of some kind might help get my energy back. So no more takeaways and lots more water. I always find when I up my water intake and even add a little exercise that I feel better after a couple of days. So I will definitely take this advice!
    Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Sorry to hear OP, if you really want a cheap indulgence, maybe make your own scrub, just brown sugar and olive oil, it's amazing! I use it for body and for my hands. I find herbal essences masks cheap and great, and for a face mask sanctuary do nice sachets!
    Then maybe treat yourself to hair dye and a new nail polish?
    Fake tan always makes me feel better, as shallow as it sounds, I'd recommend cocoa brown as it's cheap and amazing!

Yeah i think it is a great idea too,you should try it!!!!A scrub i have is one of salt and olive oil(or sunflower if you prefer),and one of sugar and olive oil.I have two big jars of it and it lasts and last ive had them over a year now and i even added a bit of perfume oil (in lavender)to the oil and sugar/salt mix..

Very easy to make and all you need is a big empty jar. The exfoliator i got in dealz was good too,very moisturising,and doesnt leave a film behind..The one thing about oil is you really have to get the film off aftewards if youre anything like me your back will pop out in loads of spots!!! :eek: not good if you have that problem.
    You should go into dealz and treat yourself to a designer perfume for a tenner its times like this you need it..
    On top of staying away from white processed carbs..Also make sure you get plenty of sleep your body and mind needs to heal too..

Advertisement