Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water spilled on laptop keyboard

Options
  • 08-12-2013 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭

Well just have a problem with my laptop and wondering could anyone help me out on this. I spilt maybe half a glass of water onto my keyboard last night. Originally everything was fine and i dried it all up. Unfortunately this morning, my keyboard is all over the place and most keys arent working on it, for example when i type r, i get eryk, when i type t, i get 3tuj, and so on. Is this fixable at all? I tried drying it out for a few hours and a few letters have began to work again, but it seems the keys in the centre part of the keyboard seem to be all touch and go. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I'm using an external keyboard now and everything is working fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

many electronics can survive some water (not so much other liquids) - i put my desktop keyboard once in the disk washer once and it came out lovely and clean :) - wouldn't recomend or do it again mind - took days to dry.

Just dry it using a hairdryer(careful not to melt laptop) - turn it so as much water drips out - not into the laptop - dry in hotpress for a day or so - could try the rice in a plastic bag trick.

You should be ok, once it dries it could be fine - if not its quite easy to replace a laptop keyboard - replacements can be got cheaply on ebay.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thank you, i let it dry out for the last few hours and everything is back to normal so hopefully that should be it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If it's a Mac, it may be expensive, but if it's a normal laptop, you can get a replacement keypad cheap enough on ebay, and they're fairly easy to replace.

I'd advise taking the laptop apart, taking the keyboard out, and leaving it out ( on a window sill, for example) to dry for a few days, in case this solves your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thank you, i didnt dismantle it, but let it dry out and everything seems to be working properly again, so should i still dismantle it just incase and dry it some more?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Raf32 wrote: »
    Thank you, i didnt dismantle it, but let it dry out and everything seems to be working properly again, so should i still dismantle it just incase and dry it some more?
    Just saw your previous post. Should be okay, but keep an eye on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement