Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

licence query

• 08-12-2013 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

hi guys, was in canada nearly 2 years and came back to this new licence craic, i was on my 3rd provisional licence and the categories i had weer a,b,and m, now that licence had ran out in january 2013, im wondering where do i go from here do have do i have to do some sort of bike training now to get a renewal of my learner permit. sorry if ye have gone through all this before but i find the rsa website confusing and im not sure where i stand, i have a restricted cbr 400 and was covered by the provisional before i went away.not sure what licence im supose to apply for now or if i have to to do ibt training

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

Im 28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

hi guys, was in canada nearly 2 years and came back to this new licence craic, i was on my 3rd provisional licence and the categories i had weer a,b,and m, now that licence had ran out in january 2013, im wondering where do i go from here do have do i have to do some sort of bike training now to get a renewal of my learner permit. sorry if ye have gone through all this before but i find the rsa website confusing and im not sure where i stand, i have a restricted cbr 400 and was covered by the provisional before i went away.not sure what licence im supose to apply for now or if i have to to do ibt training
    Yup you'll have to do the IBT, no way around it I'm afraid. The good news is that once you have the IBT done you can take the restrictor off your bike.

You will also need to apply for your practical test because you won't be able to get another provisional licence without proof that you have applied for a test. You will need your provisional licence *before* you do the IBT.

****e i thought having it pre 2010 meant i woulnt have to do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭p_mac

If I hold a category A Learner Permit issued before 6 December and now want to do a category A1 driving test, do I need to do IBT?

No, the Learner Permit for licence category A exempts you, as you held it before 6 December 2010.

That's from the RSA website, FAQ's section...

I'm not so sure you will have to do it, the fact that your last provisional lapsed within five years of now. I think a call to the RSA maybe in order here, it's a lot of money to lay out if you don't have to.... I've found them to be very helpful recently, I'd be 100% sure on this before proceeding!

I stand to be corrected on this though.... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Make it simple for yourself. Get a new category A learner permit, do the IBT and sit the test. When you pass ride whatever you want, no restrictions. You can have it done and dusted in six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You will have to sit the theory test again also, then go the direct access route as you are over 24.

p_mac wrote: »
    If I hold a category A Learner Permit issued before 6 December and now want to do a category A1 driving test, do I need to do IBT?

No, the Learner Permit for licence category A exempts you, as you held it before 6 December 2010.

A1 is 125cc and <11KW, I'm guessing that his cbr400 isn't restricted that much :D. He would need at least an A2 licence to ride his CBR400 restricted. There's no point in going for an A2 though, if you're doing the IBT anyway then you might as well go for an A licence so you can unrestrict your bike (even before you do the test) and ride whatever bike you like in the future.

To be honest if you haven't been riding in Canada then it's no harm, you will feel much more confident after a couple of days of IBT.

You will also only be able to get a one year learner permit because you haven't done a test in the last two years.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You will have to sit the theory test again also, then go the direct access route as you are over 24.

I'm not so sure that he will have to do the theory test again. You could well be correct but his licence isn't even expired a year. I thought it needed to be expired a few years before you needed to redo the theory test.

its actually a cbr 250 i have atm, the cbr 400 was sold before i headed off thats why im not sure on applying for the A or the A2, where i was getting confused is that my licence has ran out since jan/13 now if i want to get a new one i have to have either done a test or applied for a test , but i cant apply for the test as i havnt done the ibt which you need a valid licence to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

You should be able to apply for a new A learner permit without having to redo the theory test - you will have to do the IBT but you will then be able to ride any bike you want without restriction.

• Advertisement

i was told by email that i would have to show evidence of a test done in the previous 2 years or an upcoming date to be able to get a new permit, im thinking they thought i was on about a car licence now though!

i was told by email that i would have to show evidence of a test done in the previous 2 years or an upcoming date to be able to get a new permit, im thinking they thought i was on about a car licence now though!
    I mentioned this in my first comment. Yes, you will have to prove that you have applied for a test when getting your new permit. You could cancel after you've got your permit but you might as well get it done since you'll have to do the IBT anyway and it's best to do your test shortly after the IBT (when everything is fresh).

You will have to do an IBT to ride a CBR250 as well. So unless you want to ride a 125cc then you will have to do the IBT. Go for the 'A' permit, there's no point going for an 'A2', it will restrict you in the future. These are the steps I recommend:

1. Book your practical driving test
    2. Apply for 'A' learner permit, show them proof that you have applied for the test (a printed email is fine). It will be a 1 year permit.
    3. As soon as the learner permit arrives book your IBT. If your going for an 'A' licence then you won't be able to use a CBR250, the school will put you on a bigger bike. Going rate for the IBT is €550, the general range is €400 - €600.

You can then ride any bike you like on the learner permit but it is best to do your test soon after the IBT. A pre-test lesson on the test route is always a good idea. You will have to do the 'A' test on a different bike than your CBR250, talk to the IBT school about borrowing their bike (they will usually charge you a small fee).

It can be an expensive road, I know as I've done it myself recently, but you will be a better rider by the end of it.

ok im slowly getting it now lol, does the a learner permit allow me to drive the cbr before i do the test?

ok im slowly getting it now lol, does the a learner permit allow me to drive the cbr before i do the test?
    No, not legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Learner permit + IBT allows you to ride it. Learner Permit alone does not.

real pain in the hole il be startin new job in few weeks and wouldnt have the money for ibt for a good while, my understanding is ya cant drive on an a lp til your ibt is done but ya can on a a2lp restricted, im leaning towards the a2 as iv always been into 250s 125s with my shortarse and il be able to drive straight away

Advertisement