Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused

Options
  • 08-12-2013 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I completed my training contract with a small accountancy practice in Galway a few months ago. Had lived in Galway for years and had made many friends there. On the advice of one of the major recruitment consultancy firms I accepted a Job with one of the large firms in Dublin. I cant fault the job or the company at all, It is a great job and a great opportunity but I am not settling into Dublin, I thought if I gave it a month or two it might grow on me, but it hasn't . Would it be terrible if I started looking for a job back in Galway so soon after starting? or should I just grin and bear it for another while?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

MaryOR wrote: »
    I completed my training contract with a small accountancy practice in Galway a few months ago. Had lived in Galway for years and had made many friends there. On the advice of one of the major recruitment consultancy firms I accepted a Job with one of the large firms in Dublin. I cant fault the job or the company at all, It is a great job and a great opportunity but I am not settling into Dublin, I thought if I gave it a month or two it might grow on me, but it hasn't . Would it be terrible if I started looking for a job back in Galway so soon after starting? or should I just grin and bear it for another while?

Took me 3 - 5 years to get used to Dublin. Now I love it but I used to hate it.

Do what makes you happy, might look bad to Dublin employers but Galway ones know you aren't likely to be going anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Give Dublin a decent chance, put some concerted effort into trying different things to fit in.

But if things don't improve then you'll be welcome back to Galway :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Most if not all Galway employers will understand your need to come home as a good reason why you are looking for a new job so soon. Its nothing to worry about, it happens all the time.

Advertisement