Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you nod to random bikers?

• 08-12-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭

Currently living in Brisbane and a newbie biker but I'm finding it common to have other bikers nod the head at me when I'm passing them.

This isn't just when I'm out on a Sunday spin on the known spots (and might I make a boast that Queensland has some simply stunning rides and the weather to go along with it) but everyday commuting. At first I thought I was imagining it but I'd say 1 in 4 bikers salute as they're passing which I find a bit odd in a city environment. Does the same happen in Ireland?

I've also noticed that bikers on cruisers don't do the nod.... Are sports bikes and cruisers 2 seperate breeds or are they too intent on humming the theme tune to Sons of Anarchy to notice? :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Currently living in Brisbane and a newbie biker but I'm finding it common to have other bikers nod the head at me when I'm passing them.

This isn't just when I'm out on a Sunday spin on the known spots (and might I make a boast that Queensland has some simply stunning rides and the weather to go along with it) but everyday commuting. At first I thought I was imagining it but I'd say 1 in 4 bikers salute as they're passing which I find a bit odd in a city environment. Does the same happen in Ireland?

I've also noticed that bikers on cruisers don't do the nod.... Are sports bikes and cruisers 2 seperate breeds or are they too intent on humming the theme tune to Sons of Anarchy to notice? :P

Its pretty common over here in the uk. Less so since I moved into london.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

i nod and wave to everyone one, even scooters! noticed that the only ones that don't really respond too well are the cruiser types, but i still do it just to annoy them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Hell, I sometimes forget myself and do it when I'm driving the car. Get some right funny looks. :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Most of the time, but mainly only when out on a spin on a sunday etc. Not much when on my daily commute. Unless its a really nice bike or he nods first haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

So it's not just an Australian thing :) I understand the Sunday spin/backroads thing but think it's hilarious to be nodding away to bikers in a city commute. I still do it though seeing as they're nodding to me as well, it's a nice thing I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I nod to most. Always feel awkward if they wave back thinking he didn't see my nod so now I look like an ignorant prick :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Commuting around Dublin I don't unless I know the other biker, or if someone stops beside me at the lights or at the opposite lights.. But on the open road I do all the time and have never found a difference between BMW riders, cruisers or sports bike riders.

Doesn't bother me if I get one back or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I do,... I nod to everyone all the time. But I would agree, most BMW old timers would not give you the time of day. I am out alot on the bikes so I see it all the time....they are afraid to let go of the bars in case they bin it. Must be coz they only go out once every other month to air the tyres!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

As a Bm old timer I nod at most biKes bar couriers that pull in constantly in front of me at lights and scooters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Every biker does it. Even biking in the states people did it. I never do it in the city though, just too many bikes. Unless it's another similar bike to mine, usually get a nod then.
    serious3 wrote: »
    i nod and wave to everyone one, even scooters! noticed that the only ones that don't really respond too well are the cruiser types, but i still do it just to annoy them!

I always find that too. You could go past a load of harleys in a row, 20 or 30 of them and wouldn't get one wave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I always nod to other bikers if I spot them on my commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Yep! I nod to all, some nod back some don't, it doesn't bother me if they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Prefer to stick the leg out myself, as far and high as I can, 7/10 will stick their leg out. The rest just stare :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Prefer to stick the leg out myself, as far and high as I can, 7/10 will stick their leg out. The rest just stare :confused:

You wont wave thats for sure....the hand would be off the heated grip too long :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I always nod while on the work bike. Only about half of bikers nod back, maybe they're a bit intimidated, or are hiding something......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

infacteh wrote: »
    I always nod while on the work bike. Only about half of bikers nod back, maybe they're a bit intimidated, or are hiding something......;)

I always nod to your colleagues. The same can be said about them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

cantdecide wrote: »
    I always nod to your colleagues. The same can be said about them!

It's like family, you don't get to choose them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

infacteh wrote: »

On this actually, been stopped by Garda only once, ran a red light completely accidental at 4 am (it's in teh middle of a main road with no actual roads off it, just a Ped crossing).... only reason I got stopped was it was a Bike Garda in a car who 1. Wanted to look at the bike and 2. Tell me to stay safe..... if the rest of the Bike Gardai are as sound, ye are cool. Never had much other dealings with the rest, but definitely nod when I see ya'll. Way I see it, in my head, they are bikers first. But I'm a romantic like that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Must say I will give a nod to all bikers I meet, even the infacteh type :eek: !

And as everyone else pointed you get some that will respond and some that won't. In any case, I've done my thing and been polite! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

It's a done thing in Switzerland as well except maybe around Geneva cos they be pricks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I nod at everyone, and sometimes i forget not to when in a cage or on foot

• Registered Users Posts: 39 PlayerA

Hello, in France we usually do a V sign with the fingers when meeting another biker on the road, and we take the foot off the pedal when a car let us overtake it to say thank you.

I am in Ireland for 3 years, and a biker for 6 months (newbie inside) and yeah here bikers nod at each other :) even if not everyone seems to practice it, I think it's cool anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I nod at everyone, and sometimes i forget not to when in a cage or on foot

Haha! Sometimes, on my bicycle I too have to stop myself nodding to bikers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

In fairness quite often if I'm on foot standing at the side of the road and I see a guy on a nice bike, I'll give him a nod too - and most of the time they'll nod back - sort of acknowledging your a biker also. Just cause you're not sitting on a bike, does not mean you can't say howaya!

Fun fact - no one nods in the Isle of Man. I found that funny when over there. Reason being there are just SO many bikes you'd be doing it every few seconds. I'm sure the novelty wore off and it just got annoying haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I give everyone I meet a big wave, I don't really care whether they wave/nod back, says more about them than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I give a nod or wave to all the bike when I am out in Cavan 99% of the time I get a leg shake or a nod or a wave. When I am in Dublin I see it less, guess if you did it all the time you'd crash as there is just much more bikes.

When I am in the van I flash the lights or give a way and always move over for bikes, they all say thanks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zascar wrote: »
    In fairness quite often if I'm on foot standing at the side of the road and I see a guy on a nice bike, I'll give him a nod too - and most of the time they'll nod back - sort of acknowledging your a biker also. Just cause you're not sitting on a bike, does not mean you can't say howaya!
    That must happen quite often on a Ducati :pac:

Hahahaha I've actually been pretty lucky! She has not given me an ounce of trouble in the last couple of years. You just have to know how to treat them (inset cheesy cliche about women etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'm in the UK and I wave, nod or stick my foot out to everyone, that includes coppers and scooter riders :D. I am also a BMW rider, so there.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I always nod the head to other vepsa riders as we are a rare breed, sometimes I know them, often I don't and don't get a nod back.

I will nod at the odd biker and always nod back if someones gives me a nod first...

Advertisement