Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you nod to random bikers?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Zascar wrote: »
    Hahahaha I've actually been pretty lucky! She has not given me an ounce of trouble in the last couple of years. You just have to know how to treat them (inset cheesy cliche about women etc etc)

Was talking to robbie in mototechnic and he used to commute on a M900. He said 80,000 and it gave him zero trouble, and that was with minimal servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I always nod.
    Commuting around Dublin I don't unless I know the other biker, or if someone stops beside me at the lights or at the opposite lights.. But on the open road I do all the time...
    How come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i wave or nod or stick out the leg at everyone
    last summer i was taking it handy enjoying the heat on my way to work and an idiot in a car was up behind me tailgating
    bike cop comes around the corner an i nod he gives me a big wave and the lad in the car drops back half a mile.

and yeah i nod at bikes when im in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

Not sure it is exclusively French, but motards wave a leg as they go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What's this leg sticking stuff? Haven't seen this... Doesn't it look daft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

What's this leg sticking stuff? Haven't seen this... Doesn't it look daft?

Like this hazardleft.medium.jpg or this hazardright.medium.jpg

It's just a way of saying thanks/hello without letting go of the handlebars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Like this hazardleft.medium.jpg or this hazardright.medium.jpg

It's just a way of saying thanks/hello without letting go of the handlebars.

You can let go of the handle bars too... like this moto-electra-laguna-parade-fun-630.jpg

Looks much better that way, specially when leaned in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd be similar to Mak in and around Dub - dont tend to get a nod back from mopeds, maxiscooters, bmws, cruisers, and couriers (of course), so I dont bother. And tbh, the neck would be worn off ya doing so for every one.

Can usually spot the lads who'll nod/nod back, and ive no issue returning one - as long as theres no crap up ahead Im preoccupied with (another more prominent danger vs open roads imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pedro K wrote: »
    I always nod.

How come?

I don't always nod (commuting in Dublin).

Not everyone riding a bike is a biker!.. Some people just use their bikes as a mode of cheap and mostly free flow transport and they couldn't give a toss about biking outside of that ~ I'd dare say thats the majority in Dublin.

I don't bother with cop bikes for the same reason, the guys are just using the tools of their trade and nothing else ~ leave 'em be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

I nod but sometimes I don't get a response, especially if I'm wearing my club cut because I look like the type of biker your mammy would warn ye about :(

Not gonna stop me doing it though, I nod & wave to pizza delivery guys on scooters & all, don't discriminate, but then...I'm a bit of a tard :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Yes i would nod, always used too, if i ever have a motorbike again.
    used to annoy me when i don't get a return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

The Nodster always nods :P

MonstaMash wrote: »
    I nod but sometimes I don't get a response, especially if I'm wearing my club cut because I look like the type of biker your mammy would warn ye about :(

One thing I'll always do, regardless whether its MC or MCC I'll always acknowledge club patches/colors.

I might not share a pint with some :p but on the road I leave the other stuff for another time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

When I went to France on the first trip out of Cherbourg, you see loads of bikers around and they all either stick the leg out or else give you a huge big hand in the air wave. Made me all excited like a child :p

They also stick the leg out to thank cars who pull over to let you past - I think this is good courtesy and I do it in Ireland too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yup, nod most of the time, unless it's a convoy or something. In that case I'll nod if they nod first.

Oh and anyone wearing a Sons of Anarchy top should be run off the road, or at least get flipped the bird :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Alfonzito

near enough the whole range now, nodding, wiggling left leg, wiggle right leg, waving and , if you are close enough, you can say "how'ya" and blow kisses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I don't when I'm in the middle of filtering or going through heavy traffic with crazy zombie pedestrians jumping out from on front of vehicles while using glowing cubes to warm up their face.

Otherwise I'd take part in acknowledging how awesome we both are. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

One weird thing I've noticed that the fordiners won't wave. I meant the groups of European riders that come over here in groups. I always nod, but the overwhelming majority won't nod back.

When I was in NZ, everyone would nod except for th HP-HD crowd. Thought they were right hardshaws they did. It was the only time I ever had a rule to not nod to another two wheeler. Shiny new HD= no nod from me of from them.

cantdecide wrote: »

When I was in NZ, everyone would nod except for th HP-HD crowd.

The answer is probably glaring me in the face, but what is a HP-HD crowd?.

(I get the HD part but not the HP).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Ride BMW 7 days a week and nod at everyone - i'd say more than half don't nod back.

I automatically assume you are a prick unless of course you are focusing on a potential hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,615 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd give a nod most of the time, nice to get a reply but if they don't acknowledge back then I'm not too bothered. I've done my bit to be pleasant, maybe they've got more important things on their mind than waving back to random biker they pass. And as Zascar said, I'll acknowledge others road users if they pull in, costs nothing to be courtesies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The answer is probably glaring me in the face, but what is a HP-HD crowd?.

(I get the HD part but not the HP).

There is a particular breed of Hire-Purchase Harley Davidson rider!!

cantdecide wrote: »
    There is a particular breed of Hire-Purchase Harley Davidson rider!!

Oh!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cienciano wrote: »
    You could go past a load of harleys in a row, 20 or 30 of them and wouldn't get one wave.

I ride my Harley nearly every day and nod/lift the hand to most - people look at me like I have 2 heads. (which, being a V-Twin, technically, I do.... :P ),

Less of an issue on a Jap bike.

But lol if you wave at a anyone when i'm on my Vespa - they think you're nuts.

the way I look at it is: got two wheels and an engine ? Yep ? That'll do, nod for you then :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is how us bmw riders wave at the rest of you :D

bikerJOR1605_468x361.jpg

Advertisement