Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dingle

Options
  • 08-12-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Group of us considering a few days break at the end of January and Dingle is one of the possibilities on the advice of a friend. Could anyone tell me if it's good down there at that time of year?

There's a good crowd of us planning on going, all in our early 20's so obviously we'd be looking for good nightlife etc too!

Any advice or tips are welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Obrieski wrote: »
    Group of us considering a few days break at the end of January and Dingle is one of the possibilities on the advice of a friend. Could anyone tell me if it's good down there at that time of year?

There's a good crowd of us planning on going, all in our early 20's so obviously we'd be looking for good nightlife etc too!

Any advice or tips are welcome!

Dingle is a fairly seasonal town it is packed in the summer and quieter come autumn and winter.

Bank holiday weekends bring big crowds from around Kerry and most bars are very busy. Most of the pubs are traditional Irish (i.e Trad bands, old people at the bar etc) there is no shortage of bars either. You probably will stumble (good choice of words) in to the Droichead which is fairly busy always. The Nightclub is the Hillgrove, nice spot generally gets busier after 12.

If ye are there for while places like Ventry which have pubs and great for a session. Other than that Dingle is a great spot in my opinion. Never had a bad night out there regardless of it being busy or not. Just avoid the harbour when yer pissed or Funghi will fcuk ye up..........

Obrieski wrote: »
    we'd be looking for good nightlife etc too!

Think Foxy Johns is the one with the big area out back and seems to draw a good crowd. And the Droichead usually has a DJ and a late bar, usual RnB stuff that draws the kids. Not exactly Manumission but grand, lot better than most Irish towns its size, think of Kenmare or Clon or Kinsale and you get the picture, but like all those towns its much busier in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭lukin

Just avoid the harbour when yer pissed or Funghi will fcuk ye up..........

Just out of interest do the boats take people out to see Fungi in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

lukin wrote: »
    Just out of interest do the boats take people out to see Fungi in the winter?

There's usually a boat available to go out if theres a demand but it depends totally on the weather. They have definitely been out recently on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
    I wouldn't travel out to the town specially just in case but if you're staying around there's an office at the head of the pier with numbers and times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'd give the sea kayaking a go. Good craic and I can't swim and found it great.

• Advertisement

Oh outside the pubs Dingle has plenty to see and do. There's the Aquarium, hiking on Mt. Brandon, the obligatory drive around Slea Head, Gallarus Oratory and all the old sites, depending on the season a trip to the Great Blaskets, the indoor climbing centre, the seal sanctuary, pitch and putt etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭lukin

lottpaul wrote: »
    There's usually a boat available to go out if theres a demand but it depends totally on the weather. They have definitely been out recently on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
    I wouldn't travel out to the town specially just in case but if you're staying around there's an office at the head of the pier with numbers and times.

Thanks. I actually went to see Fungi with my nephew last summer but I was just wondering was just it a seasonal thing. I can't imagine too many people would want to go out to see him on a freezing January day!

Advertisement