Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sell me a MacBook Pro

• 08-12-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

Hoping some of you can help me on a difficult decision. Looking to get a new toy for Christmas and toss up between Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and a Macbook Pro 8GB/256GB model.

I have never owned a Macbook, nor any Apple based laptop etc. Have a nice Windows 8 ultrabook and iPad etc, use a Galaxy Note 3 as mobile and wife on iPhone5 so figuring time I maybe looked at a Macbook.

Has to be the Pro as I love high res screens and will be virtualizing Windows 7 on there for odd customer support issues.

Primarily it will be used at home for browsing and some app's my wife uses for craft making (All Mac compatible), but I will be using a VPN into work from it too on odd occasion.

Anyway, can anyone sway me towards the Macbook as thinking just getting "another" Windows device is daft..

Entering similar in Windows Devices thread too..

Thanks for any help, really appreciate.

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

You're spending 1550 euro on something for browsing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

paulo6891 wrote: »
    You're spending 1550 euro on something for browsing?

I am surrounded by devices for browsing.. I want to get a new laptop. Maybe I should edit the original post and pretend I will never use the Internet on it:p

Spend my working life stuck in data centre's and crouched in racks so I love my tech.

It's just that most people who spend that kind of money on a computer are using it for more demanding things than browsing! I think they're brilliant anyway, although personally I have little use for extra hard drive space so would go for 128Gb and 16Gb of RAM instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Thanks Paulo.. That's a great idea. Don't need the space either but would be keen on the extra RAM. Was a little peeved when I saw RAM is soldered on at birth. BTW.. this is not my money I am spending, it's my end of year bonus from work.. Well sort of.

yeah it's ridiculous about the RAM. I had planned on buying one myself and upgrading the RAM later, but upon finding out about it being soldered on, I'm having second thoughts as I cant really afford/justify it (I'm a mature student and my current macbook is 4gb and my desktop is 16, so I'd need to go with the 16Gb for it to be a worthwhile upgrade!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement