Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance Claim

• 08-12-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi

Yesterday I was in a taxi and on my way home. I had no cash so had to go to a cashpoint mid journey. The taxi driver asked me to leave something in the car so I didn't run off and skip the fare. So I left my phone and went ot the cashpoint. I got my cash, turned around and the taxi driver had driven off and stolen my phone.

Can anyone help shed any light on whether or not I will be successful with my claim?

The phone has been blocked and it has been reported to the police. Also the phone has been switched off and cant be tracked via find my iphone.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭JamBur

I find this story highly implausible.........it would take a right dope of a driver to risk this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 J1992

well it happened! why would I make it up? jeez come for some guidance and get idiots doubting a true story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I would not give that version of events to the insurance company if you want a successful claim. They will state that you were not taking due care of the item

anyone who would actually like to help? would be much appreciated.

ALl I have stated on the claim was that the phone was stolen by a taxi driver. Although when I reported it to the police I told them the full story.

• Advertisement

anyone else please?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

Have you gone the gaurds? Do you realise what the taxi man was risking by robbing your phone.. Any idea of the taxi company? Any cameras that would have picked him up on it?
    Insurance will not cover you if the phone is left in a taxi because its classes as neglect. It also wouldn't cover as stolen as it was not prised from your hands during an attack lol

to be classed as stolen he doesn't have to prise it away from you... I had had a few drinks and he knew exactly what he was doing, took advantage o me and blatantly stole my phone. surely this isn't classed as neglect. cant any form of loss be classed as neglect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

J1992 wrote: »
    to be classed as stolen he doesn't have to prise it away from you... I had had a few drinks and he knew exactly what he was doing, took advantage o me and blatantly stole my phone. surely this isn't classed as neglect. cant any form of loss be classed as neglect?

You willingly left the phone out of your possession. No insurance company in there right mind would pay out on this claim. And if you reported it as stolen they'll look for a copy of your Garda statement / complaint.

On the other side I hope you have the taxi driver's details (car reg or plate number)?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭lucky333

J1992 wrote: »

I was told by the insurance company that if you lose the phone in a car or public place then it is neglect and so not covered.
    Also, for it to be classed as stolen, outside of your home the phone has to be in your hand or in a pocket on your person- if not its neglect.. Otherwise you have to prove that it was takin from your hands and you put up a fight- lol ,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭My Makeup Perspective

Yep, friend of mine had her phone stolen from her handbag, insurance company basically said unless the phone was on your person when it was stolen, it's lost.

They also checked it up with the guard that she reported it to.

You should have rang the guards the minute the taxi man said he wanted collateral.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

Yep, friend of mine had her phone stolen from her handbag, insurance company basically said unless the phone was on your person when it was stolen, it's lost.

Name and shame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

SandStone wrote: »
    Name and shame?

I'd get more info before naming and shaming...such as was the bag on her person. if the bag was left down somewhere away from the person then thats unattended theft, which like the OP is classed as neglect and isnt covered.

Advertisement