Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flushing food down the toilet.

Options
  • 08-12-2013 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

I was in a friends house last night and they told me about a friend of theirs that flushes all their food leftovers down the toilet.

I was quite surprised by this.

Does anyone else do this or k ow if it's a good or bad thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

This sounds like the kind of storyline you would see in its always sunny in Philadelphia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Can't be good for the drainage i would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lukehandypants

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Can't be good for the drainage i would imagine.

Yeah thats what I thought u we would depend I guess on weather u have a septic tank or on a big sewage thing.

It is all very odd.

I tried Flushing some chips down the toilet the other night, they didn't go down, they floated for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Pi$$, $hit, toilet roll and the odd bit of vommit...

after that you can't blame anyone but yourself if your sewage system gets blocked up.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Pi$$, $hit, toilet roll and the odd bit of vommit...

after that you can't blame anyone but yourself if your sewage system gets blocked up.

Completely agree, im sure it's bad for the sewage system too all those oversize bits of food goin down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Can't see anything wrong with it if the food is chopped up small and there is no septic tank. Works the same as those waste disposers. More environmentally friendly then landfill as it goes to the waste processing plant. I guess if everyone started doing it it would overload the system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Depends on the food, stuff like bones and peels are defintely going cause problems, as well as anything to sticky or heavy to flow down the pipes. However if food stuff is just right its not that different to a food disposal. To me its a little more preferable to punting it into the rubbish like a lot of people do, leaving this smelly bag of crap that has to be delt with. Best job is a compost heap !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

The rats get wind of this there might be a sh1tty problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

jacksie66 wrote: »
    A lot worse than a few chips comes out your arse anyway.

Great thread to for you to reply on jacks.:p

As long as its only small portions of food, it shouldn't block up system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wait until the grease from the food starts to congeal in the pipes,wouldn't like to be in that house when it all backs up.

Its feckin gross.
    I couldnt believe it.
    Oh and I was also told that they burn alot of waste in there home fire too, which is equally moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Nice way to encourage rats into your local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It ain't going to end well

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

This reminds me of an old thread about people defecating in bins. First world problems eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Its feckin gross.
    I couldnt believe it.
    Oh and I was also told that they burn alot of waste in there home fire too, which is equally moronic.

Had people renting beside me who used to do that,they nearly poisoned half the place with the smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

Do you know where the sewage pipe comes out so I can collect it in bag?

Seriously, f**k me. What's wrong with a bin? Lazy bastards

Corvo wrote: »
    Do you know where the sewage pipe comes out so I can collect it in bag?

Seriously, f**k me. What's wrong with a bin? Lazy bastards

They say it ends up been cheaper for the bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

This madness should be in After Hours or somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Overmanlyman

Well tbh food normally ends up in the loo anyway
    Catch my drift??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Why would anyone flush food down the jax?
    Do you not have a bin?

I think it's perfectly fine like it ends up there anyway
    But it does depend on the food
    For example pasta yes potatoe no

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Well tbh food normally ends up in the loo anyway
    Catch my drift??

No. Excrement/Faeces ends up in the loo, waste product of food. It isnt normal to put food down the loo and anyone that does that is an idiot.

vicwatson wrote: »
    No. Excrement/Faeces ends up in the loo, waste product of food. It isnt normal to put food down the loo and anyone that does that is an idiot.

Well I can't remember getting a rule book with my toilet
    Oh a rule book in the post saying 'only poo and wee shall fall down the toilet'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

People doing this are basically costing the rest of us money. It all needs to be treated and either putting food directly into the system or by using a insinkerator or similar puts a large strain on what is a relatively delicate process at the waste treatment plant, often requiring more resources to treat it correctly.

Anyone who does this should be fined a large amount.

People doing this are basically costing the rest of us money. It all needs to be treated and either putting food directly into the system or by using a insinkerator or similar puts a large strain on what is a relatively delicate process at the waste treatment plant, often requiring more resources to treat it correctly.

Wow did you copy and paste that from Wikipedia or are you actually clever

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah thats what I thought u we would depend I guess on weather u have a septic tank or on a big sewage thing.

It is all very odd.

I tried Flushing some chips down the toilet the other night, they didn't go down, they floated for a while.
    Chips don't flush

Cienciano wrote: »
    Chips don't flush

What about kiwi

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

Why, what law are we breaking?

The problem is that in Ireland we still haven't gotten around to metering water-in whereas in a lot of countries they have been metering water-out also for a long time.

If it cost people to flush the toilet, then the bin would become more attractive.

Compost bins in general attract rats. Oh yes, done properly, they shouldn't, but google rats and compost bins and you'll soon see that there's a lot of people that don't seem to be doing it properly then.

A brown bin would work out more expensive for us, because of the small amount we produce and the standing charge. It would be cheaper to put it in the black bin.

But why pay to dispose of soggy food left overs when we can send them off to the fishies for free? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

What about kiwi

No problem, just give them a squeeze before you drop em in.
    Be careful with anything Lomu-size tho.
    Tomato(e)s the same.

Advertisement