Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flushing food down the toilet.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Overmanlyman

Cienciano wrote: »
    Chips don't flush

What about kiwi

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

What about kiwi

Kiwi still flushes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Wow did you copy and paste that from Wikipedia or are you actually clever

Im a qualified plumber, in the middle of an engineering degree, I actually need to know this information

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

That goes into the top 5 moronic things I've ever heard.

Im a qualified plumber, in the middle of an engineering degree, I actually need to know this information
    What discipline in engineering are you studying my nephew is a structural engineer

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Why, what law are we breaking?
    Im not a lawyer but read the following if your bothered

Read Part 3 subsection 7b, it specifically mentions a prohibition on mascerators or by any other means depositing food waste into sewer

Household food and waste regulations.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/Environment/Waste/WasteManagement/FileDownLoad,32686,en.pdf

What discipline in engineering are you studying my nephew is a structural engineer

Building Services, which is basically plumbing, heating, electrical, facilities management. Envirnomental services is a part of the course.

I think it's perfectly fine like it ends up there anyway
    But it does depend on the food
    For example pasta yes potatoe no

Please don't reproduce

Building Services, which is basically plumbing, heating, electrical, facilities management. Envirnomental services is a part of the course.

Wow you must be quite the genius well done

I have a 5 year nephew and he knows not to flush food down the toilet. I see you said you're nephew.....which I'm taking as you haven't reproduced.....thank god......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Wow you must be quite the genius well done

I'm trying to figure out if you are serious in your posts or if you are just looking to get a rise out of a poster or 2.

D

Im not a lawyer but read the following if your bothered

Read Part 3 subsection 7b, it specifically mentions a prohibition on mascerators or by any other means depositing food waste into sewer

Household food and waste regulations.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/Environment/Waste/WasteManagement/FileDownLoad,32686,en.pdf

I was bothered but haven't been able to find the "any other means" you referred to.

From what I've read, it's perfectly legal to tip a plate of leftovers in the toilet or to squeeze rotten fruit in your hand and drop it in.

"Prohibition on certain practices
    7. An original producer of food waste arising as part of household waste,
    shall not—
    (a) deposit food waste in the residual waste collection, or
    (b) use purpose built mechanical devices to shred or hydrate or otherwise
    alter the structure of food waste for the purposes of facilitating its
    discharge in waste water to a service connection, drain or sewer."

Well I can't remember getting a rule book with my toilet
    Oh a rule book in the post saying 'only poo and wee shall fall down the toilet'

Just to clarify please please don't reproduce. I can't stress that enough. Never.

Decoda wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out if you are serious in your posts or if you are just looking to get a rise out of a poster or 2.

D

http://howtomakefriends

:p I ret my case

Look, I'm not going to get drawn into this.

I don't need advice from you about how to make friends...and I surely don't need advice from a website either so keep your links to yourself.

Regards

D

7. An original producer of food waste arising as part of household waste,
    shall not—
    (a) deposit food waste in the residual waste collection, or
    (b) use purpose built mechanical devices to shred or hydrate or otherwise
    alter the structure of food waste for the purposes of facilitating its
    discharge in waste water to a service connection, drain or sewer."

Look basically the whole thing is about not putting food waste into the sewer.

I would say they thought people were better than using a toilet as a bin, but it seems they were wrong.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Mod Note.

Guys can we keep the thread on topic.

Overmanlyman has been given a Vacation to assess his posting manner and style.

Look basically the whole thing is about not putting food waste into the sewer.

I would say they thought people were better than using a toilet as a bin, but it seems they were wrong.

Basically it's not. You quoted the SI and what you claimed it said in there is not there.

I believe the SI is precisely worded so that it is NOT illegal to put food leftovers in the toliet.

Basically it's not. You quoted the SI and what you claimed it said in there is not there.

I believe the SI is precisely worded so that it is NOT illegal to put food leftovers in the toliet.

Paragraph 3 in that says
    "source segregated food waste arising on the producer’s premises is

collected by an authorised waste collector."

is your toilet an authorised waste collector with regards to household food waste ?

• Advertisement

Paragraph 3 in that says
    "source segregated food waste arising on the producer’s premises is

collected by an authorised waste collector."

is your toilet an authorised waste collector with regards to household food waste ?

Ninja edit? But I'll concede this one to you, you certainly know your sh1te.

In practical terms though, by flushing the leftovers down the toilet, am I not sending the food waste to an authorised facility?
    Our sewage treatment plant captures all gases and the leftover solids are sent off to the organic vegetable farms.

(b) brings the food waste to an authorised facility with a view to its com-
    posting or anaerobic digestion or treatment in a way which fulfils a
    high level of environmental protection.

Ninja edit? But I'll concede this one to you, you certainly know your sh1te.

In practical terms though, by flushing the leftovers down the toilet, am I not sending the food waste to an authorised facility?
    Our sewage treatment plant captures all gases and the leftover solids are sent off to the organic vegetable farms.

(b) brings the food waste to an authorised facility with a view to its com-
    posting or anaerobic digestion or treatment in a way which fulfils a
    high level of environmental protection.

Like any topic we can discuss it back and forth all day, if we back away from the pure legislation and even just google "household food waste disposal ireland" it all seems to point at putting your food waste in the correct bin as the way they want you to dispose of it.

From a plumbing and engineering point of view, putting food into the sewage system is troublesome for a number of reasons including.

1. Forming of grease blocks which can block entire sewers and are very hard to shift.
    2. a lot of sewers are barely coping as it is and extra solids can put extra pressure on the system.
    3. It massively increases the workload at the wastewater treatment plants, this can result in them needed to invest in extra treatment tanks etc ultimately costing all of us.
    4. Giving rats an abundant food source in an urban environment is asking for trouble.

I have contributed about as much knowledge as I have to this thread, from a personal view I am sure the vast majority will see flushing food down the toilet as disgusting and wrong.

The legislation prohibits the use of mascerators, or mechanical means to help the food waste be flushed into the drains. this much we have definitively proved.

Also as far as I know most waste collectors are in the process of planning to bring out a new bin specifically for food waste so it can be disposed of properly.

Best of luck debating it out further guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

People doing this are basically costing the rest of us money. It all needs to be treated and either putting food directly into the system or by using a insinkerator or similar puts a large strain on what is a relatively delicate process at the waste treatment plant, often requiring more resources to treat it correctly.

Anyone who does this should be fined a large amount.

What's the problem with an insinkerator? All that water is treated anyway.

bardcom wrote: »
    What's the problem with an insinkerator? All that water is treated anyway.

From the SI that Outkast sent last night using a mascerator is illegal.
    Outkast or Phil Hogan would know best why.

Flushing unmascerated leftovers down the toilet is not legal according to the SI. Nor is it illegal according to the same SI.

Advertisement