Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Dublin.

Options
  • 08-12-2013 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,, New to this site, but have been living abroad for almost ten years and am planning a move back early next year. On line I have found a property in Lower Sherrard Street, Dublin 1 for sale.
    I am 47 yrs old and as a teenager this was not a great area,,, has it improved? Is buying around that area a good move? It seems very cheap but Dublin prices have dropped I believe and estate agents give a very glossy picture.
    I can;t get to visit in reality until early Febuary... am I wasting my time? Thanks..

Would I buy property in Lr Sherrard Street Dublin 1 12 votes

not in a fit.
    0% 0 votes
    it's a great area
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

Sorry, I accidentally clicked "it's a great area"! So that one vote should be on the other side!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It's still a bit dodgy but not as bad as it was in the 80s, is the property an old council flat?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

sooner or later the local kids will want to suss you out. If you are friendly they will keep knocking on your door for a chat - lend off this and that , bike pump etc.

If you are gruff they will knock on the door to anger you and get you to do something interesting.

sooner or later you will tell them to f**k off then it escalates, stones will be thrown at windows .

Next stage decides the rest off your life. Dad or big brother appears and you have to hit him hard. you then get respect or shot. the worst move would be to call the cops or fit cameras. (that's why they wear hoddies)

best of luck
    n

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

Why don't you come home and rent for a few weeks and see what its like yourself..you might come back and realise you don't want to be back in Ireland at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Poll closed as it breaches the charter re: making general statements about an area without back it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I know the area well, its not nearly as bad as people are making out and nothing like to what it was in the 80s. sherard street upper and lower is made mainly up of foreign families and single eastern European people living in bedsits etc

If you don't mind living in an area that might seem depressing to some, it is perfectly fine. very close to shops, city centre etc. There are also respectable people who have bought in the area as well

check the area out yourself in person before viewing the house to get a proper feel to the place

This site in general is pretty terrible regarding giving opinions of areas in general

Advertisement