Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox one kinect possible in small room ?

Options
  • 08-12-2013 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Considering purchasing an Xbox one this week and would be using it in a mid sized bedroom for gaming only. The Kinect would ONLY be used for voice control and navigation. No interest in Kinect games.

I would be gaming from the bed, and the xbox/tv is situated 11 feet from where I would be gaming, or approximately 5 feet from the end of the bed. The TV is on a typical stand, the top of the stand is about an inch or two higher than the top of the bed. The TV itself is a Sony KDL-46W905. The Kinect would be at the edge of the stand on front of the tv.

So - will Kinect work in this environment. I assume the camera will be able to see my face, but what about initial setup where it needs to see your feet. Is 5 feet away from Kinect enough for initial calibration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭irishchris

Flaccus wrote: »
    Considering purchasing an Xbox one this week and would be using it in a mid sized bedroom for gaming only. The Kinect would ONLY be used for voice control and navigation. No interest in Kinect games.

I would be gaming from the bed, and the xbox/tv is situated 11 feet from where I would be gaming, or approximately 5 feet from the end of the bed. The TV is on a typical stand, the top of the stand is about an inch or two higher than the top of the bed. The TV itself is a Sony KDL-46W905. The Kinect would be at the edge of the stand on front of the tv.

So - will Kinect work in this environment. I assume the camera will be able to see my face, but what about initial setup where it needs to see your feet. Is 5 feet away from Kinect enough for initial calibration.

Use mine in an area smaller than what you described and surprisingly no issue whatsoever with the Kinect picking everything up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Same set up as you OP similar size room.

I just tested Skype there with zoom on and it followed me around a very small room easily, the other night i was in the settings lying in bed lights off , theres a setting what can kinect see, goes through various "predator" type views like thermal and night vision and could actually see me in the dark lol , I haven't actually used the gestures much though, and not at all in a game out side of the leaning in battle field which was spot on.

As for the feet/seeing the floor it'll work grand if its on top of the TV and you sitting lower or level with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Thanks.

Of course unless I buy one of those orb Kinect stands I wont be able to mount the Kinect on the top of the tv. It will be sitting at the base of the tv. More or less level with my head, perhaps 6 inches lower then my head at most. I'm only interested in using it for voice control and gestures though.

By the way, I have freeview sat going into back of tv (tv has a built in sat tuner). I assume there is no way to get xbox one to control the tv unless I get a dedicated sat box and have it plugged into the xbox ones hdmi input. And I read in a few places that there is an issue with 50hz content causing picture judder as the xbox one was made with 60hz content in mind. So I guess tv integration is a wasted feature for me but would have been a nice one to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Flaccus wrote: »
    Thanks.

Of course unless I buy one of those orb Kinect stands I wont be able to mount the Kinect on the top of the tv. It will be sitting at the base of the tv. More or less level with my head, perhaps 6 inches lower then my head at most. I'm only interested in using it for voice control and gestures though.

By the way, I have freeview sat going into back of tv (tv has a built in sat tuner). I assume there is no way to get xbox one to control the tv unless I get a dedicated sat box and have it plugged into the xbox ones hdmi input. And I read in a few places that there is an issue with 50hz content causing picture judder as the xbox one was made with 60hz content in mind. So I guess tv integration is a wasted feature for me but would have been a nice one to have.

I have a Saor View box going though mine with zero issue. Well we don't get all the bells and whistles the yanks get but it works picture in picture snapped and full screen without a problem.

Advertisement