Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you recommend NUI Maynooth to a mature student?

• 08-12-2013 8:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Right lads.

I'm a 29 year old (will be 30 in august) youth worker and considering doing the whole upskilling thing and doing the BA Community Development and Youth Work next academic year.

I've been looking at UCC, NUI-Maynooth and NUIG (family studies and youth work, first 2 years though in St. Angela's in Sligo).

I'm not really interested in the NUIG option because, well, the first two years have only 1 youth work related module so it's just not what I want. And I don't really want to live in Sligo for two years either.

So now I'm down to which do I put as first option on my CAO, NUI-M or UCC.
    They course content seems to be very similar, they are both 3 year level 8 courses, so broadly very similar courses.

I know Cork fairly well and have friends who studied there who all say it's a great school so looking to hear from current and former NUI-M students who might give me an honest assessment of life in Maynooth and how the feel about the college itself.

Cheers,

Seán.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Hi. I know nothing about your course.

However, I started here when I was 30, having chosen it partly due to having a good reputation with mature students. I've never for a second felt out of place here, you can't turn your head here without seeing a mature student. There's a great mix of people of all ages. I had classes with 17 year olds and graduated with an 80 year old.

Everyone's very friendly in my experience, the lecturers too, at least the ones I've had dealings with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm studying the MA in Community and Youth Work and I absolutely love it. If you're already working as a youth worker you can apply to do the course part-time over 4 years and continue with your job so you could look into that either. All the courses give you the same professional accredited qualification, whether it's the BA/MA/fulltime/part-time. It's challenging though, and really teaches you to work and think in different ways.

I wasn't a mature student during my undergrad, so can't comment on the college in that sense. But NUIM is generally grand and the campus is quite pretty. Community work and youth work courses have been taught here for over 30 years, so it really is a good place to do the course in that sense as the department of applied social studies have so many links with organisations and projects when it comes to placements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I'm studying law as a 30 yr old and it's great craic. My last college you did feel a difference between normal and mature but NUI there's nothing.

Really never felt out of place at all. All the stories and stuff that you hear how Maynooth is so friendly and stuff are true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nessieos

I've just started my first year in nuim as a Mature Student. I have never felt more comfortable or supported anywhere in my life. There is a Mature student hang out spot, the library in Nuim cannot be beaten anywhere in the country and the lecturers and Tutors are so helpful and engaging. It has been the easiest transition and the most enjoyable experience so far. Also the college president joined us for our Christmas party to see how we were all getting on with the semester! (sound guy!)

I know everyone on this forum will agree when I say I have no doubt at all in my mind that choosing Maynooth was the best decision I've made. Good luck with your decision and subsequent years in 3rd level.

:-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

My last college you did feel a difference between normal and mature but NUI there's nothing.
    Oh so now we're ABNORMAL??? :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Wordless

As a ex mature student ( or noddies as we were called :) Maynooth was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

I am currently in my last year of the Community and Youth work course in NUIM. I went back as a mature. I can't recommend the course enough.. Its not easy but what is. If your already working in the field you will be bringing that experience to another melting pot. If you ever want any other information feel free to message me. But as i said great course, tough but worth it and as for the mature student bit you won't be alone :) so no worries on that score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Wouldn't hesitate recommending NUIM for mature students at all. I'm in 2nd year of a degree (i'm 18 btw) in a small class (about 50). There's 6/7 mature students in my class and we all get on so well. Nobody will think of you as any different, in fact the mature students are some of the most craic in my class!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EUSTY500

Maynooth is a great college to go to - students, staff & campus all great. However, if you think an undergraduate degree alone will get you a job, think again. I finished up with a 1st in 1 subject & a 2.1 in another and had no luck even getting an interview. From what I can tell, an undergraduate degree alone will probably not be enough to secure employment in a chosen field. A masters (maybe even a PHD) will be required - neither of which are cheap to do. At the end of the day, all that employers want are candidates with experience - usually 2 years' worth. Education is all very well, and it may give you an advantage over those seeking work without formal qualification, but age (youth), employment history and 'who you know' are still what will find you a job in Ireland IMO.
    Having said that, if its a choice between going back to education or sitting around all day hoping a job will magically appear, then I'd definitely recommend college - just beware that there's no guaranteed job at the end of the 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Did my undergrad in Maynooth and very quickly found that our group cointained the just out of LC people and mature students and there was no difference in the treatment of people i.e. it doesnt matter what age you are, if the course is right for you you'll fit in perfectly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement