Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artists on tour, skipping Ireland (ROI)

Options
  • 08-12-2013 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is there an increase in the world tour announcements that skip (ROI) Ireland?

Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience World Tour 2014 - dates all over the UK, none in Ireland.

Katy Perry's 2014 world tour - dates all over the UK and Belfast, but none in Ireland (ROI.)

Robbie Williams 2014 tour - same as Katy Perry.

No Southern Ireland dates.

Anyone else skipping us here in the South?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Bands/artists go where they are booked, there's not that many gig promoters in Ireland afaik so that's why a lot of the time when acts are on tour Ireland gets missed. Nothing to do with the act at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

Justin Timberlake played her this year and didn't sell out
    Robbie Williams played The O2 and then The Aviva this year and didn't sell out.
    How many times do you think a promoter should try flogging a dead horse....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Its annoying. Why would anyone skip us? We are a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

It's all to do with the economy too, Metallica last came here (Republic) in 2009 i think it was, there's an interview flying around somewhere with Peter Mensch, the bands manager. They were not gonna come here that year but the economic climate was favourable, strong euro etc so they slotted the Dublin date into the schedule instead of the next year.

So it's not only down to the promotor/band/booking agent, the economy plays a big part in when we see someone.

Timberlake played Phoenix park this year and i don't think he sold out, so it's easy to see why they're skipping Dublin this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

argentum wrote: »
    Justin Timberlake played her this year and didn't sell out
    Robbie Williams played The O2 and then The Aviva this year and didn't sell out.
    How many times do you think a promoter should try flogging a dead horse....
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Timberlake played Phoenix park this year and i don't think he sold out, so it's easy to see why they're skipping Dublin this time

You're not comparing like with like.

Justin Timberlake and Robbie Williams 2013 tours were stadium tours. Their 2014 tours are arena tours. Huge difference. You can't put the two in the same argument at all.

The Aviva capacity = 40,000+
    The O2 capacity = 14,000+

Meanwhile, Katy Perry played three completely sold-out dates in Dublin in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Niamh_101

3 acts I want to see next year are Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake and Robbie Williams. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce their dates after Christmas. Only thing that annoys me is how ridiculously over priced these concerts are going to be and I think that puts people off buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Artists like Katy Perry usually do two European legs, like she did in 2011, and probably will announce a Dublin date in the near future.

Perhaps MCD will want her to play a bigger venue than the O2, but who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Going to Robbie in Belfast. Really want Justin Timberlake to play the Odyssey or The O2. Definitely thinking of going to one of his UK dates.

So annoying that Justin Timberlake's Phoenix last July was only announced in early May last this year for the July concert. By then concert goers would have bought their tickets for festivals and major summer concerts such as Robbie, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Michael Buble, The Killers, Eminem, Mumford and Sons, etc. Also the tickets were dearer than a lot of the other concerts on last summer, therefore making the concert harder to sell out.

I find it really annoying that usually Irish concerts dates are announced weeks even months later to the UK dates. Therefore for the Irish dates there is more hype and harder to get decent tickets as everyone is more aware of the upcoming tour.

Could it be anything to do with the booking promoters (MCD, Aiken, etc) in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Niamh_101

ciaramc wrote: »
    Going to Robbie in Belfast. Really want Justin Timberlake to play the Odyssey or The O2. Thinking of going to one of his UK dates.

So annoying that Justin Timberlake's Phoenix was only announced in early May last year for the July concert. By then concert goers would have bought their tickets for festivals and major summer concerts such as Robbie, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Michael Buble, The Killers, Eminem, Mumford and Sons, etc. Also the tickets were dearer than a lot of the other concerts on last summer.

I find it really annoying that usually Irish concerts dates are announced weeks even months later to the UK dates.

Could it be anything to do with the booking promoters (MCD, Aiken, etc) in Dublin?

I've love Justin and still haven't seen him because holidays are always booked before a date is announced. I think MCD are waiting for artists to finish announcing UK & European dates before Dublin is announced.

There's a gap between June 3rd to June 13th for Robbie so hoping he's in Dublin before Belfast. Thinking about seeing him in England when more tickets are released.

I wish all dates for artists were announced in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

I have no idea who Fall Out Boy is. But I'd love to see The Pretty Reckless again. Unfortunately:
    With a eagerly awaited headline UK tour hitting us in March, Fall Out Boy have announced they’ll be supported by The Pretty Reckless (except Dublin, Ireland) and New Politics throughout. You can view all dates of the tour below:

http://www.deadpress.co.uk/31804/news-fall-out-boy-confirm-support-for-their-march-2014-headline-uk-tour

http://falloutboy.com/tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Nine Inch Nails also not playing here during their Euro tour and doesn't look like any room in their schedule to fit a show in either.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

I'd say that there is a Katy Perry date coming very soon, Belfast was included as part of the UK, since Ireland's not part of the UK I'd say the dublin date (or dates) will be announced with the rest of Europe. I don't think we are skipped over unfairly with gigs, we generally get most of the tours, although it seems to be metal/punk/rock kind of bands tthat seem to leave Ireland out. Although that's just a general assumption I've taken of twitter, wouldn't be very well up in those genres!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

It can be really expensive for bands to come over here after/during a UK tour - there's the exchange rate (if they've been working in sterling in the UK), the logistics of it all (the cost of going by boat, losing an extra day or two for travel, etc.), extra visas to sort out if it's an American band, the fact that Ireland is an expensive enough country to begin with... And considering how small the market is here, it's just not worth their while to come over for one gig, as they'll be losing money.

Add to that the facts that (a ) we're a small country, (b ) there's not that many promoters to take them on, (c ) we have no mid-sized venues and (d ) tickets are so expensive that people can't afford to go to too many shows, it's just not always feasible for bands to come here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have often heard the 'its expensive to come here' argument but is it really? They load all the gear onto trucks anyway. Ferrys aren't that expensive. The journey isn't that long. Does it make much difference if they drive onto a ferry from London or drive to Glasgow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Noticed this hugely within the last two years, only mincey acts seem to play here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

fits wrote: »
    I have often heard the 'its expensive to come here' argument but is it really? They load all the gear onto trucks anyway. Ferrys aren't that expensive. The journey isn't that long. Does it make much difference if they drive onto a ferry from London or drive to Glasgow?
    Insurance is a complete killer here from what a lot of reports say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Artists skip the whole of Ireland usually Dublin only played if they do, Belfast is the guts of 2 hours from Dublin often hear locals complain about only a Belfast date added, when for the majority of the country its prob more than 2 hours travel minimal EVERYTIME theres a gig.

Mass marketed muscians like Perry not coming wasnt aware of it wouldnt be a risk in Ireland which after all is a country which shamefully has One Direction sell out multiple nights in our biggest stadium tells you all you need about music in this country.

Agree with poster rock bands almost every tour cycle take Alter Bridge for example play arenas across the pond 10 years 4 albums never set foot here ever.

Oh look theres that Beyonce wan doin 3 nights in the O2!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Its alot more expensive here, from speaking to smaller acts (academy sized crowds), I was told after I went to a Belfast gig, that it cost too much, I think he suggested the venue was too expensive, the artist was a one man show, maybe a roadie or two, probably load his gear into a Kangoo sized set up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

fits wrote: »

It does make a difference: going from London to Glasgow, they can set out driving whenever they want, and then drive on to the next place straight after. They're not at the mercy of timetables or winds. To get the ferry, they have to drive to Wales, wait until the next scheduled ferry, spend hours on the boat then drive to wherever they're playing. Afterwards, they have wait for the next boat (which mightn't be til the next morning) and end up back in Wales and then drive on to wherever else. They could easily lose 2 days for travelling for a show that mightn't even sell well.

When I was younger and unable to travel on my own, it would reeeeally annoy me when a band played in Belfast but didn't come down here afterwards. They'd already done all the ferry crap, why not do a couple more shows while here?!

Advertisement