Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling Question - Wrong Board??

Options
  • 08-12-2013 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Sorry! I am sure this is wrong board......spent ages trying to find where...........:confused:

Anyway, can I put fire ashes in my brown bin? Many days old and cooled obviously??

Also cat litter? It is a kind of gravel based type but could change to wood pellets if I could put it in brown bin???

My black bin is weighing 60kg+ every 2 weeks and is going to cost me a fortune next year with weight penalties coming in. The cat litter weighs a ton.

Thanks in advance.....sorry for wrong board again.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Ash from a coal fire, or from a coal+wood+turf fire can not go in your brown recycling bin.
    If you burn nothing but wood and turf, or reconstituted wood/turf logs, then you can add those ashes to your brown bin, or indeed to your own composting garden bin.

Seeing as most people combine coal, wood and turf in their fires, the ashes must go in the black bin.

The cat litter dilemma is one I share with you! It's not allowed in the brown bins. The stuff weighs so much, really adds to the lift charges in a black bin.
    I've never used the wood-based litter, but I would assume it would be ok in the brown bin, IF all the actual waste had been completely removed from it first?
    Can anyone confirm that?

As for your Black bin, some of the waste disposal companies do a fixed charge per month deal which works out cheaper in the end, no weight charges, but you pay the monthly cost even if you don't put bins out for collection.
    Worth checking if you can get that option, it reduces the cost significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

Rancid wrote: »
    Ash from a coal fire, or from a coal+wood+turf fire can not go in your brown recycling bin.
    If you burn nothing but wood and turf, or reconstituted wood/turf logs, then you can add those ashes to your brown bin, or indeed to your own composting garden bin.

Seeing as most people combine coal, wood and turf in their fires, the ashes must go in the black bin.

The cat litter dilemma is one I share with you! It's not allowed in the brown bins. The stuff weighs so much, really adds to the lift charges in a black bin.
    I've never used the wood-based litter, but I would assume it would be ok in the brown bin, IF all the actual waste had been completely removed from it first?
    Can anyone confirm that?

As for your Black bin, some of the waste disposal companies do a fixed charge per month deal which works out cheaper in the end, no weight charges, but you pay the monthly cost even if you don't put bins out for collection.
    Worth checking if you can get that option, it reduces the cost significantly.

Thanks for reply. Actually my bin co said cat litter was ok for brown bin but I think he has to be wrong?? How can the gravel be ok?? And he said nothing about removing any waste from it . But then I thought the wood pellet one might be ok???

I asked at a FCC recycling depot & they didn't know but told me to try fingal cc & they might know :{

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I think the wood pellet cat litter MINUS the actual waste, should be ok for any brown bin.
    Gravel shouldn't be ok, as far as I can see!

Just found this list:
    http://www.aesirl.ie/household-customers/what-goes-in-my-bin/what-goes-in-my-brown-bin

Advertisement