Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creep feeder

Options
  • 08-12-2013 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

Considering buying a creep feeder for next years lambs. What's good, what's not? What features are desirable, which are a pain in the behind?

Easy on the pocket would be good too.

For a small flock of blackface mostly.

Made my own before but not one you could leave feed in, birds and sideways rain would make sh1t of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eire23

Are ya handy with a welder? Do make my own here out of inch box and galvanised sheeting and the trough out of ply wood. 200 or less would make one. Dont have any bother with rain as make them fairly deep. Another bonus is that the lambs can get in from both sides and they are light and easy moved about. Dont really have bother with birds as we do feed the lamb pencils but a neighbour feeds crunch and he does be plagued with crows. Do also leave a dead crow on top of the feeder which might also be a help

Did ya think about applying for one under the tams scheme? Nearly sure creep feeders are covered in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

They are, but I don't qualify for TAMS.

I can't weld unfortunately, would be handy if I could!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Can I ask the reasoning behind getting a creep feeder Con?

Got one myself a few years ago, but it's one that goes on the tractor, so not much use to you I think.
    Didn't use it last year, as I didn't have early lambs and I think its only for early lambs that it would pay me to creep feed. I think... :confused: :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Can I ask the reasoning behind getting a creep feeder Con?

Got one myself a few years ago, but it's one that goes on the tractor, so not much use to you I think.
    Didn't use it last year, as I didn't have early lambs and I think its only for early lambs that it would pay me to creep feed. I think... :confused: :P

Fattening up lambs for the factory J. Got €55 for the best of my wethers this year, big lambs in fairness but no cover on them. Lads saying I can get €90+ for them in factory if fit. If that's the case it'd pay me. €70 wouldn't.

If there's money to be made on them I'd like to be the lad cashing in, rather than the middlemen.

Only one way to find out I figure.

Fattening up lambs for the factory J. Got €55 for the best of my wethers this year, big lambs in fairness but no cover on them. Lads saying I can get €90+ for them in factory if fit. If that's the case it'd pay me. €70 wouldn't.

If there's money to be made on them I'd like to be the lad cashing in, rather than the middlemen.

Only one way to find out I figure.

Hi Con,

Sounds like a plan :)
    Anyway to try to get more money in your pocket is worth a go...

When I was young, we didn't have a creep feeder at home, we made a pen in the corner of the fields, that only the lambs could get into - and fed them ration in troughs every day.
    I think this worked better than creep feeding, as there was no waste, no bird problems, all lambs ate but also they didn't over-eat expensive ration over cheap grass...

The big negative against it was time - you have to have time to do it every day.

Did you try this before, did you? how did you get on?

I found that the creep feeding was grand for some lambs, but as the season went on, I wasn't on top of grass management so I was just using creep to cover up / replace poor grass management.
    Now - not for a minute saying this may happen to you, just outlining my experiences. ;)

• Advertisement

Oh, and how mobile does the creep feeder need to be?

Am sure you could make one easy enough, to test out how it goes next year IF it didn't need to be too mobile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eire23

They are, but I don't qualify for TAMS.

I can't weld unfortunately, would be handy if I could!

Have ya a friend that could make one up for ya? Ill stick up a photo of the ones i made tomorrow, not fancy or anything but they get the job done.

Its the earlys that we creep here, but decided this year to put a creep feeder in with the horny ewes that had twins. Couldnt get them to eat at all the feckers so done the usual and trained them to eat when they were weaned.
    Just something worth bearing in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Don't have a creep feeders but have heard of people complaining about lambs getting hung.. which type has this problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

could you grow forage rape as part of reseeding programe?end up with better lambs and better grass.a couple of acres could be useful .and lambs finished on rape taste fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I find the Cormac feeders very good.....dunno how they would do for horned lambs like this (hope this goes right :confused: )

http://d1708944.ali12173.tuam.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/cor3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

I got a few from a lad on donedeal two years ago, from Laois Hyland I think he was, sound fella, made them himself, would recommend them.

They were the cheapest at the time, and very solid,well made.

No affiliation btw.

Advertisement