Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten Free Food Gifts

Options
  • 08-12-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭

My mother is a coeliac so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for recipes for a gluten free hamper I was thinking of putting together for her.

So obviously jam is gluten free but I was thinking more specifically of things that she normally can't eat.

Biscuits, cakes, and that kind of thing. If it's something that can last, even better.

Any ideas about bought stuff would also be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Gbear wrote: »
    My mother is a coeliac so I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for recipes for a gluten free hamper I was thinking of putting together for her.

So obviously jam is gluten free but I was thinking more specifically of things that she normally can't eat.

Biscuits, cakes, and that kind of thing. If it's something that can last, even better.

Any ideas about bought stuff would also be welcome.

I make mince pies for my bf every year , also make shortbread biscuits
    But they don't really last would have to be made day before or day of so might not suit

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Hi Gbear, I'm actually doing the same thing for my aunt this Xmas. I'm putting together a hamper with homemade chutneys, some nice cheese, some truffles. Was going to make gluten free mince pies but I can't get the pastry right, turns out too hard. Might bake some brownies or scones, or both. I can give you recipes for those tomorrow if you want.
    You could throw in some gluten free pasta (Sam Mills brand is nice) and some gluten free crackers. I find supervalu has a good range. Oh and I saw Aldi actually had gluten free mince pies during the week. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Hope this helps!

But they don't really last would have to be made day before or day of so might not suit
    Hi cmbutterfly, could I have your recipe for the pastry for the mince pies if you get a chance? Thanks. :)

PigeonPie wrote: »
    Hi cmbutterfly, could I have your recipe for the pastry for the mince pies if you get a chance? Thanks. :)

No probs

225g margerine
    350g plain gf flour
    100g caster sugar
    Pinch salt

Rub margerine into flour until like breadcrumb, then mix in sugar and salt
    Combine into ball & knead briefly
    Roll as desired
    Cook for 20mins at 200• , this may need adjusting as I make deep filled mince pies so prob shorter time for regular ones

I made a batch today and pastry perfect , I use silicon moulds if it makes a diff

Hi Gbear, I'm actually doing the same thing for my aunt this Xmas. I'm putting together a hamper with homemade chutneys, some nice cheese, some truffles. Was going to make gluten free mince pies but I can't get the pastry right, turns out too hard. Might bake some brownies or scones, or both. I can give you recipes for those tomorrow if you want.
    You could throw in some gluten free pasta (Sam Mills brand is nice) and some gluten free crackers. I find supervalu has a good range. Oh and I saw Aldi actually had gluten free mince pies during the week. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Hope this helps!

Which flour are you using I find the doves farm best I find the odlums even the bread turns out hard, might be that?

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for that recipe cmbutterfly! I'll try those tomorrow. I use the doves farm flour too. Find it the best. I'll let you know how mince pies turn out! Will use the silicone tray instead too.

Thanks a mill for that recipe cmbutterfly! I'll try those tomorrow. I use the doves farm flour too. Find it the best. I'll let you know how mince pies turn out! Will use the silicone tray instead too.

Hope it works out for you let me know how they turn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Tesco used to have some lovely cranberry and white chocolate cookies in their gf range.

A few other gf things I can think of:
    Stock cubes, gravy mix, pizza bases, beer, salad dressing, soy sauce, mayonaise/ ketchup a mix of the dry ingrediants for cookies, chilli, sauces

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunately my aunt just brought is a big batch of gluten free mince pies so they're out.

Damn aunt!:P

I would be interested in the shortbread biscuits though!:)

I'm thinking that things like chutneys or things bought in a shop are going to be filler. She always buys her own gf bread, pasta and stuff like that so there's not much value in getting her that kind of stuff. I want to have at least 3 I make myself.

I do have a pasta machine so homemade gf pasta might be worth a go.
    Maybe ravioli?
    Does anyone know what the best flour to use is? I find that standard gf flour tastes kinda like playdough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

These peanut butter cookies have no flour. There are some great gluten free baking tips here with lots of potentially great recipes.

• Advertisement

Cmbutterfly, those mince pies turned out lovely. Thank you so much for the recipe! Delighted how they turned out. :)

Cmbutterfly, those mince pies turned out lovely. Thank you so much for the recipe! Delighted how they turned out. :)

That's brilliant glad it worked for you! It's a lovely recipe can't remember where I got it from but it's the only thing that everyone eats and dosnt even notice it's gluten free :)

Advertisement