Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

u.s bank account

Options
  • 08-12-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭

Could I set up a bank account in the u.s while living in ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It's not very easy to do so, no. In my experience one of the best options is opening an account with HSBC if possible as they are able to transfer the account to the US very quickly when you request it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I believe the patriot act it is pretty much impossible to do.

To open an account with Bank Of America, we needed our visa, photo ID and other proof of ID. We also had to call them when we got our SS numbers to have them added to the account (and to start building credit)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sharp_shooter

I believe the patriot act it is pretty much impossible to do.

To open an account with Bank Of America, we needed our visa, photo ID and other proof of ID. We also had to call them when we got our SS numbers to have them added to the account (and to start building credit)

I found it very easy with bank of america. I came in originally on a visa waiver as a tourist and showed my irish passport and that was it. They took a photocopy of my visa waiver stamp. I told them I was in the process of getting a greencard as my wife is american (she was with me at the time) and that was it. They didnt need proof of it. They still to this date havent asked for my ss number or anything and I use the acc every day. All this happened in april of this year. I live in san diego california so maybe the state requirments are different, im not sure. I left that day with my acc open instantly and a visa debit card in hand. If u have a ss no. U can set up the acc online. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I found it very easy with bank of america. I came in originally on a visa waiver as a tourist and showed my irish passport and that was it. They took a photocopy of my visa waiver stamp. I told them I was in the process of getting a greencard as my wife is american (she was with me at the time) and that was it. They didnt need proof of it. They still to this date havent asked for my ss number or anything and I use the acc every day. All this happened in april of this year. I live in san diego california so maybe the state requirments are different, im not sure. I left that day with my acc open instantly and a visa debit card in hand. If u have a ss no. U can set up the acc online. Hope this helps

In fairness, your circumstances are quite a bit different from the OP. You are living in the US, you are there legally, you are in the process of getting a green card, you have a US address and most importantly, you have an American spouse who was with you when you opened your bank account. Of course you were able to open one. The OP is living in Ireland, is not ( I presume) married to a US citizen, or legally entitled to live in the US. Give the difference in circumstances, the OP will find it much more difficult to open a bank account than you, especially if they want to do it from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

I called to a lot of banks when I landed here and they all required a USA utility bill to prove I lived here with the exception of Chase. I when I called to them they got me to log into my AIB account for my Irish address and told me to change the address when I found a place to live. I did show him my green card as well though.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    In fairness, your circumstances are quite a bit different from the OP. You are living in the US, you are there legally, you are in the process of getting a green card, you have a US address and most importantly, you have an American spouse who was with you when you opened your bank account. Of course you were able to open one. The OP is living in Ireland, is not ( I presume) married to a US citizen, or legally entitled to live in the US. Give the difference in circumstances, the OP will find it much more difficult to open a bank account than you, especially if they want to do it from here.

What u are saying is true but at the time it was just words. I had not actually filed for my greencard when I opened the account, I just told them I did. The only difference is that I had a us address. That's all. Yes my spouse was there but they did not ask for proof of that. The point I'm making is that from San Diego it may actually be quite easy if you are here. I have still not been asked for my social security no. Or anything else so although I had all those things, I may as well not have because they never asked for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

What u are saying is true but at the time it was just words. I had not actually filed for my greencard when I opened the account, I just told them I did. The only difference is that I had a us address. That's all. Yes my spouse was there but they did not ask for proof of that. The point I'm making is that from San Diego it may actually be quite easy if you are here. I have still not been asked for my social security no. Or anything else so although I had all those things, I may as well not have because they never asked for it

Are you saying you were not asked for your social security number when opening the bank account? What year was this?

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Are you saying you were not asked for your social security number when opening the bank account? What year was this?

No I was not asked for either. I just showed my visa waiver stamp. That wasapril of this year

Advertisement