Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internship .. rent allowance??

Options
  • 08-12-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am on an internship nearly 3 months now ( 7 month contract ) , and currently living with parents.... I want to get my own place but want to know if i am entitled to rent allowance and since i am earning 150 euro a week (includes social welfare + extra 50 ) ......I have never moved out before , i do not currently have a bank account ...........What is the estimate i would have to pay each week ?? .... Also open to sharing accomidations ??

Need help!! :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

stay living with your parents. Rent allowance is a facility there for people who have fallen on hard times and have nowhere to go, not to facilitate the whims of individuals who cannot afford to move out of home by choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You wont get rent allowance for at least 6 months from first qualifying for it and then you must pay over €30 of the rent yourself, afaik being on an internship will stop you being eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Get yourself a bank account and learn to operate it yourself before you even consider moving away from your parents house.

When you move out, as well as rent you will have to pay for electricity, perhaps gas or heating oil as well, rubbish disposal (ie bins), and a TV license. There's a lot more than just rent to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 new123bie

I am currently suffering from depression because of various reasons with my parents .. i am not just looking to move out for the fun of it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

new123bie wrote: »
    I am currently suffering from depression because of various reasons with my parents .. i am not just looking to move out for the fun of it!!!
    Living on your own without any safety net will not do you any good at all! who will pay the bills? where is your deposit going to come from? also most landlords won't accept rent allowance. Your depression is best left at home with people who know you and care about you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

What would happen in four months when your internship is up? How long of a lease would you be hoping to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

new123bie wrote: »

I get the idea that moving away from a toxic family environment is a good thing: not all families are made up of people who love and care for each other.

But f your parents never got a bank account opened for you and taught you how to use it, then it's likely that there are a range of other life skills that they forgot to mention, too.

Talk to the health-professional (doctor, etc) who is helping you to manage your depression about where else you could live, and what the options are. You might find that there is a support organisation that offers some kind of supported living where you could learn how to manage things for yourself.

Advertisement