Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What'll happen if I failed a module?

• 08-12-2013 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm a taught postgraduate student.Yesterday I attended end-term exam of a module, while I wonder whether I can pass it or not.
    So I want to know:if I failed this module, what will happen to me?For example, can I continue to study Spring Semester , do my project and write my dissertation?
    And I know, a student with a F grade has to sit Annual Repeat.If Annual Repeat has passed, and Academic Performance has reached the mininum standard, can the student graduate normally,just like others within the same year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Not 100% how it works for post grads, but as far as I'm aware it would be the same as undergrads. You can still go on and do the spring semester and will just need to repeat the exam in August. That means you can still keep going with your dissertation and all that too.

If your graduation is in August 2014, you won't be able to graduate with everyone else since you'd need to clear that F so you'd graduate in January 2015 instead. If you're due to graduate in January 2015 then I think you should be able to go ahead with that anyway if you pass the repeat.

I'm open to correction on all of this, but this is what I think would happn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 care1230

Thank you for your reply.And I want to know what's the scope of a repeat exam?Is it same as the end-term exam?

Not 100% how it works for post grads, but as far as I'm aware it would be the same as undergrads. You can still go on and do the spring semester and will just need to repeat the exam in August. That means you can still keep going with your dissertation and all that too.

If your graduation is in August 2014, you won't be able to graduate with everyone else since you'd need to clear that F so you'd graduate in January 2015 instead. If you're due to graduate in January 2015 then I think you should be able to go ahead with that anyway if you pass the repeat.

I'm open to correction on all of this, but this is what I think would happn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

You'd have to look at your module outline or talk to the lecturer about that. Sometimes the exams are the same as the end of term exams, but sometimes they need to change them.

For example, with the language modules if you fail the module, the repeat exam is similar to the end of term exam. However, some of the research and culture modules would have been much different since they were continuous assessment. My suggestion would be to talk to the lecturer about what the repeat entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 care1230

Thanks for the reply.Of course I hope I won't need to talk about that.:)
    You'd have to look at your module outline or talk to the lecturer about that. Sometimes the exams are the same as the end of term exams, but sometimes they need to change them.

For example, with the language modules if you fail the module, the repeat exam is similar to the end of term exam. However, some of the research and culture modules would have been much different since they were continuous assessment. My suggestion would be to talk to the lecturer about what the repeat entails.

Advertisement