Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bronze deer in the river by Curragower

• 09-12-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Looking for thoughts and opinions on the bronze deer sculpture in the water just below the Curragower wave.

1476194_658551880863765_1487172065_n.jpg
    (Picture from facebook, hopefully it'll show up here.)

I know that a lot of my kayaker friends are amazed that this has gone in in the location that it is currently installed in. It is a definite danger to watersport practitioners as it will be mostly submerged for a large portion of the day, and the antlers are quite sharp. I know I would not want to end up being pushed into this sculpture if I were in the river either in my kayak or during a rescue situation picking up someone else swimming in the river. As for the behaviour if/when the river volume increases with any floods coming down the Shannon, that remains to be seen but I do not see it as a good thing.

Not the most intelligent placing of the sculpture given the uses that the river has at that location.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

I presume its something to do with Munster Rugby? was it put there by the owners of the bar?

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

yea they should remove the rocks too.................

dont mean to sound like a jerk but it looks nice. do the kayakers go up around there?

im sure its no more a hazard than the rocks by its feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

There's a bit of a difference between the rocks on the floor of the river and a foot long metal spike at an angle in water that could be more than 4 foot deep around it. Anything that could entrap a swimmer is not a good thing to have in a river, especially an object that has spikes.

It does look nice, it's just in the wrong place. Where it is located is definitely used by kayakers, as it is in the path on the water used to traverse from the main wave to the exit, as well as the path where less experienced paddlers (more likely to need rescuing) would drop down through the smaller wave known as Little Gower. If the river floods enough for Little Gower to start running well, the deer sculpture is directly in the main downflow from that feature.

If it were farther upstream, or across the river that should be less of an issue, or standing on the top of the weir by the Marina, those locations may be better.

Someone just wasn't thinking when it was put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I usually defend any attempt to add some atttractions to the city but if this is permanent then it's in the wrong place. The only section of the river that get's lots of use is the falls and sticking this here is just simply crazy and and an unnecessary danger.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

who did put it there?? maybe we could just ask them to move it. if it was the pub im sure they wouldnt have a problem with it and if it was the council im sure some ego will have it moved if it was just explained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

According to Dermot Lynch (photographer) who posted this on his facebook page, it seems well thought out, judging by the people installing it:

2013-12-07 Limerick Marine Search and Rescue with Ray O'Holloran place a Stag on the falls at Curragower, Limerick in honour of the first crossing of the Shannon river at Limerick and in support of Munster v Perpigan at Thomond Park on Sunday 8th December in the Heineken Cup game

1461054_630826833651015_1940462392_n.jpg

Not sure how long it will stay in situ though if it was just for the match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Surely it must have been fairly well attached to stay in situ given the strong flow of water in the area?
    Would seem like a lot of effort for something temporary?

It does seem like the worst place in the world to put it though. They must have run out of space to put statues though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Truly bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

If anything was to go on that spot, it should have been a goat.

After all, that's where the Curragower falls got its name from!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If they could only f*ck the Richard Harris statue into the river, it would be great.

More photo's here:
    https://www.facebook.com/dermot.lynch.3/media_set?set=a.632183253515373.1073741930.100001711131363&type=1

It didnt take long for someone to mount the deer:

558913_632183493515349_2132416955_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Exile on Grafton St.

Mc Love wrote: »

You stay classy, Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

971636_10201315679756066_969460252_n.jpg

Apparently being removed over the weekend.

I'd like to see it installed somewhere else as it's a lovely piece of art and it'd be a pity to see it gone completely. Maybe it'd make a nice focal point in the little parks on Clancy's strand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Looks like they've found a home for Bambi!
    Limerick City Council Planning Permission:

removal of the grass embankment adjacent to the junction of Cratloe Road / Knockalisheen Road for the extension of the existing plaza fronting the Dug Out Bar with all associated site works, including lighting, stretched canvas roofs structure, 2 no. bus drop off points, ticket booth, flag banners / signage and 'Munster Deer' sculptor

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's an interesting spelling error in that! The deer could be going anywhere, but the man who made it will be installed outside Thomond Park. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There's an interesting spelling error in that! The deer could be going anywhere, but the man who made it will be installed outside Thomond Park. :D

Makes no difference. One of them is getting pinched.

Advertisement