Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate moves out what should we do?

Options
  • 09-12-2013 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Myself and 3 friends moved into a house together for college at the start of september. We signed the lease for 9 months. Before moving in the landlord warned us that if one of us moved out we would still have to pay the full amount monthly. We also pay our rent in advance for every 4 weeks. One of my friends decided to drop-out of college in the middle of last month and told us he'd be moving out with 3 days notice. The next payment was just coming up as he was leaving and he agreed to pay it and no more. We were left stuck with in a bad situation as we do not have enough money to cover his rent being college students. We have have put up ads everywhere but no one is looking for a house for a short period at this time of year.
    Our next rent payment is due this week and I feel my friend who left should pay atleast this payment as he agreed he would not leave before the lease is finished.
    Can anyone give me help in this situation? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Tell your friend to grow up and realise that he isnt a child any more and that in the real world people have to honor contracts that they enter.

As you are all (including the guy who is leaving) jointly and severely responsible for the rent, your options are to find someone to take over from the guy who is leaving, or all of you look look to reassign the lease (which means you find new tenants to take over the remainder of the lease) and you all vacate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ask the college accommodation officer if anyone is looking for a place.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious- this is a far from unusual occurrence- and is one of the main reasons why landlords will not let to students.

What normally happens in a situation like this- is you end up chasing the parents. Sad, isn't it. More often than not- when they realise it will go to court and they will get their name in the newspaper, they pay up and hopefully everyone is a little bit wiser. Of course though- its not their debt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious- this is a far from unusual occurrence- and is one of the main reasons why landlords will not let to students.

What normally happens in a situation like this- is you end up chasing the parents. Sad, isn't it. More often than not- when they realise it will go to court and they will get their name in the newspaper, they pay up and hopefully everyone is a little bit wiser. Of course though- its not their debt.

Your name does not go in a newspaper. Where did you here that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

What normally happens in a situation like this is that someone goes chasing the parents. They'll either tell them to go away (probably not as politely) or they'll get the type of parents that would be worried that it might go to court or shame would be brought onto the family so they'll pay up.

It's a way of getting paid but it's not very fair to the parents. Especally those that would be naive enough to think it would lead to their name in the paper. Landlords that rent out to those over 18 need to deal with the adult they rented to and not their relations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The Landlord is covered in this case as (per OP) the remaining tenants are liable for the whole rent. Therefore it is upto the OP to follow up with the guy that moves out.
    On many leases for students the LL will ask for a guarantor (usually the parent). In the event of a default the parent is therefore liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dede12

I think you and the 2 housemates left in the place need to sit down with the lad who moved out & tell him you expect his portion of the rent to be covered until a new tenant is found. Don't be wishy washy about this, just firmly and calmly say to him that he still needs to cover his share or find someone who can. Don't make it sound like not paying is an option. I know it seems mean but he's the one whose screwed you guys over. Realistically he should be making a concentrated effort to find a person to take it over as well. He signed the contract with you so frankly he needs to grow up and honor it. However, I would say that any utilities like UPC and heat should be up to the people still in the house so if those are included in the rent, knock that off the amount he pays.

How well do you know this guy? If any of ye know his parents I'd say something to them as well, maybe even ask them for his portion of rent if he gives you any grief, explain that he signed the lease as well so he's still liable for it even if he has moved out of the home. If any of your parents know his family either I'd get them to say it to them as well, can sometimes be more effective.

Btw, I'm saying this as someone who was a postgrad student in Galway last year & had to move out my shared place for health reasons - I made sure however that my housemates weren't on the hook for any extra rent before I moved out, can't imagine doing that to people I valued as friends! Also, I know it can be a bit of an awkward conversation to have but realistically, you are all grown-ups who were considered old enough to sign a contract so he has to realize at some point being an adult means you pay the bills you signed up for; and its good for you guys to learn to be assertive about these sorts of things as well.

Maybe point out that under Irish law a person is responsible for their rent unless they reassign the lease? Not exactly this situation but would support your argument that he needs to pay his share. Also, if you guys aren't particularly bothered about keeping this friendship and after talking to him he still seems like he's going to refuse to pay, as a last resort you could mention small claims court. While it would likely be too much hassle to actually carry out, he doesn't need to know that, the threat of court could cause him (or his parents) to pay up.

Also, see if your landlord will put an ad up on Daft for you, since its coming up to January you may well be able to find some second semester Erasmus students who are looking for a place, we had tons of interest when we had to let a room our student house last January.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Small claims court is not going to be of any use here, and I think most people would know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

when they realise it will go to court and they will get their name in the newspaper,

Errr... what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

You won't get anyone to move in before Christmas but there will be quite a few people (mainly Erasmus students) looking at the start of January. If you, the LL and the guy who has moved out make a concerted effort, you should be able to find someone to take the vacant room until June.

The college accommodation office will definitely have people contacting it so make contact there and, if your house is decent and well-priced, you have a good chance of letting the room.

• Advertisement
Advertisement