Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox One Disc Drive Broken

• 09-12-2013 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Folks,

Today I tried to install my first Xbox One game (Forza 5) since getting my Day One edition console on launch. On launch day I successfully installed both Assassin's Creed 4 and Dead Rising 3.

However, today when I tried to install Forza 5 I unfortunately got the "Disc Drive of Death" as it's being dubbed where my disc drive is grinding the disc, will not read it correctly and will not play/install the disc.

This problem is quite widespread and there are plenty of videos on youtube of this happening to people. I'm wondering has it happened to any Irish people and if so what have you done to get it fixed? And what is the lead time on getting it repaired?

Basically if I send it off to get repaired but won't have it back until mid-January then I might as well just wait until after Christmas and still enjoy the games which I have installed/downloaded over the holidays.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭bassy

NJC Omega wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Today I tried to install my first Xbox One game (Forza 5) since getting my Day One edition console on launch. On launch day I successfully installed both Assassin's Creed 4 and Dead Rising 3.

However, today when I tried to install Forza 5 I unfortunately got the "Disc Drive of Death" as it's being dubbed where my disc drive is grinding the disc, will not read it correctly and will not play/install the disc.

This problem is quite widespread and there are plenty of videos on youtube of this happening to people. I'm wondering has it happened to any Irish people and if so what have you done to get it fixed? And what is the lead time on getting it repaired?

Basically if I send it off to get repaired but won't have it back until mid-January then I might as well just wait until after Christmas and still enjoy the games which I have installed/downloaded over the holidays.

Thanks.

Give it back and get your €499 back and don't bother with another.bloody ridiculous for the price of them and the so called great technology work gone in to them and there not 5 minutes old and giving trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Hi Folks,

Thanks.

I read somewhere that you get a free downloadable game if this happens to you. I think the choices are Forza, Ryse or Dead Rising 3 but don't quote me on this ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

bassy wrote: »
    Give it back and get your €499 back and don't bother with another.bloody ridiculous for the price of them and the so called great technology work gone in to them and there not 5 minutes old and giving trouble.
    ... Or call Microsoft support, they send you a replacement one and give you a free full game to download and play while you await the replacement Xbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

... Or call Microsoft support, they send you a replacement one and give you a free full game to download and play while you await the replacement Xbox.

+1, call them today!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dubaicentral

Hi Folks,

Thanks.

If you have the grinding disc drive issue ring support. You have 2 choices. Set up a standard repair just like the 360 where you send the old one back and they either repair it or replace it if it is not repairable. The other opotion is to go for the advanced exchange, this is the option that will give you a free game to download and play while you await your new console to arrive.

Option 1 - Repair - Ms send you a shipping label and you post it to them. They either repair it and send it back to you or just send you a new one if it is not repairable (no free game with this option)
    Expected turnaround time - 10 - 14 business day.

Option 2 - Advanced replacement - Ms put a hold on your credit card for roughly 500 euro (to ensure that they receive the old console back) and ship you out a brand new console. You receive a code to download a full game so that you can play this on your broken console while awaiting your new console to arrive. New console gets shipped to you, when you receive it you place the broken console into the box you receive and ring the courier to collect it again. When Ms receive the broken console the hold is lifted.
    Expected turnaround time 5-8 business days (hold is only lifted after broken console is received which maybe 2 weeks from time of initial contact but you will receive new console relatively quick)

Personally i think the advanced exchange is your best option, it is faster and you get a free game. However I am well aware most people cannot afford to have a hold of 500 euro on their account so close to Christmas so it is not for everyone. You can go about setting up either of the options above yourself on myservice.xbox.com but I would recommending calling support and have them do it for you and talk you through your options in more detail.

Just to add as far as I know the advanced exchange might be discontinued after Christmas as it is only for faulty consoles close to launch so by then your only option might be a standard repair. Also the free game is only for advanced exchanges that are related to faulty disc drives with the grinding noise and no other issue or repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 NJC Omega

If you have the grinding disc drive issue ring support. You have 2 choices. Set up a standard repair just like the 360 where you send the old one back and they either repair it or replace it if it is not repairable. The other opotion is to go for the advanced exchange, this is the option that will give you a free game to download and play while you await your new console to arrive.

Option 1 - Repair - Ms send you a shipping label and you post it to them. They either repair it and send it back to you or just send you a new one if it is not repairable (no free game with this option)
    Expected turnaround time - 10 - 14 business day.

Option 2 - Advanced replacement - Ms put a hold on your credit card for roughly 500 euro (to ensure that they receive the old console back) and ship you out a brand new console. You receive a code to download a full game so that you can play this on your broken console while awaiting your new console to arrive. New console gets shipped to you, when you receive it you place the broken console into the box you receive and ring the courier to collect it again. When Ms receive the broken console the hold is lifted.
    Expected turnaround time 5-8 business days (hold is only lifted after broken console is received which maybe 2 weeks from time of initial contact but you will receive new console relatively quick)

Personally i think the advanced exchange is your best option, it is faster and you get a free game. However I am well aware most people cannot afford to have a hold of 500 euro on their account so close to Christmas so it is not for everyone. You can go about setting up either of the options above yourself on myservice.xbox.com but I would recommending calling support and have them do it for you and talk you through your options in more detail.

Just to add as far as I know the advanced exchange might be discontinued after Christmas as it is only for faulty consoles close to launch so by then your only option might be a standard repair. Also the free game is only for advanced exchanges that are related to faulty disc drives with the grinding noise and no other issue or repairs.

Thanks very much for the advice. Based on this I contacted Xbox Support this evening and they are sending out the Advanced Replacement console within the next week or so and I will apparently be contacted by email to receive a free downloadable game.

The hold on my credit card is very annoying but to be fair it's a good replacement service they are providing. I won't be without a console at all during this period so that is a bonus. It is a little worrying that this seems to be happening to so many Day One editions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

Not just day one editions, I pre-ordered the Titalfall bundle direct from Microsoft and had the grinding disc issue out of the box.
    The games I've got so far are all downloaded but noticed the issue when I tried a bluray disc.

When I tried to go via Xbox support process online first they were charging me €100 plus shipping for me to send it back to get fixed :eek: but eventually got talking to the right department over the phone and was given those options above you mentioned.

I'm in the middle of the Option 2 process now and the offer of the free game is still in operation!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dense_Body

Hi PrivateBeavis,

Could I get some info of you. I bought a Titanfall Xbox and its bricked since day 2 after applying update. The kinect was broken too. I advance exchanged the kinect successfully but the support cant manage to do it for the xbox, it keeps cancelling.

Theyve referred me to Tier 3 of support, the "advocacy" team. Ive to wait till they ring me which I was told would be five workings days. Its day seven now, did you have to deal with these?

I really just want to play my new xbox, 3 weeks and still cant. Never experienced such a horrible customer service issue in my life :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Dense_Body wrote: »
    Hi PrivateBeavis,

Could I get some info of you. I bought a Titanfall Xbox and its bricked since day 2 after applying update. The kinect was broken too. I advance exchanged the kinect successfully but the support cant manage to do it for the xbox, it keeps cancelling.

Theyve referred me to Tier 3 of support, the "advocacy" team. Ive to wait till they ring me which I was told would be five workings days. Its day seven now, did you have to deal with these?

I really just want to play my new xbox, 3 weeks and still cant. Never experienced such a horrible customer service issue in my life :(

Fastest way of doing it in your case is bringing it back to the retailer.

The free game offer has now finished. No free game when you do an advanced exchange. There is no sign of the advanced exchange service being withdrawn any time soon.

The reason all 3 different editions are having disc drive problems is because the internal hardware on all 3 editions is the exact same. It is a widespread problem with the disc drive itself, generally caused by cheap crappy mechanical components used by the drive manufacturer (not microsoft) to save money.

Also, there's a troubleshooting step which commonly solves disc read errors (without grinding noise present - if there's a loud noise, it's a hardware problem)

Turn off the console, unplug, hit the power button with the console unplugged, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in.
    Worth a shot.

Fastest way of doing it in your case is bringing it back to the retailer.

The free game offer has now finished. No free game when you do an advanced exchange. There is no sign of the advanced exchange service being withdrawn any time soon.

The reason all 3 different editions are having disc drive problems is because the internal hardware on all 3 editions is the exact same. It is a widespread problem with the disc drive itself, generally caused by cheap crappy mechanical components used by the drive manufacturer (not microsoft) to save money.

Also, there's a troubleshooting step which commonly solves disc read errors (without grinding noise present - if there's a loud noise, it's a hardware problem)

Turn off the console, unplug, hit the power button with the console unplugged, wait 30 seconds, plug it back in.
    Worth a shot.

Hi,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps but mine is actually an entirely different issue. I just hope to be able to avail of a free game :) My xbox wasnt working when i received it, just turns off, freezes etc and the kinect had a separate issue resulting in an loud audible buzzing noise whenever the console was on.

I've been dealing with microsoft support for 3 weeks now trying to get my console replaced by advance exchange but their system keeps reversing the transaction. I've successfully replaced the kinect.

Support tier 1/2 just dont have the capability to help me and the advocacy team has taken 9 working days (and counting) to contact me. I've been extremely reasonable with them but I'm at breaking point so I've sent a complaint to their headquarters in reading in the UK. I bought off the microsoft store and so return would have taken 2 weeks before I received my funds back. Annoyingly you could buy the titanfall deal in argos for 30 euro cheaper with a free copy of fifa 14 last week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I got an advance exchange last month due to the disk drive being borked, who do you contact for the free game?

I spent nearly an hour on the phone getting the advance exchange set last week and the free game was in operation then cos he went of to check in the middle of the call and then mailed me a code for Forza so that was something.

Then today when I start following up cos I thought I'd have the replacement by now it seems like it was cancelled the same day the order was place, feckin joke!! I was told to go to http://myservice.xbox.com/ and setup a new replacement order but there's only the option to send console back and says contact hardware support to check if eligible for the advance exchange.

I don't have the option of bringing back to retailer cos I made the mistake of ordering directly from microsoft!

Hi,

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps but mine is actually an entirely different issue. I just hope to be able to avail of a free game :)

Too late. Also the free game was only for disc drive failure.
    Bad news is when advocacy(aka T3) get involved all you can do is wait it out. T1 cannot touch the case once they are brought in. T2 don't really handle stuff like T1/3 so they wouldn't be involved anyway.

T3 are seriously busy at the moment so you have to sit tight for a little longer. Account recoveries are taking up to a month at the moment. Don't forget your password :pac:

@ allanb, just ring support and explain, you will get sorted pronto, but only if it was actually a disc drive problem. No point ringing if it wasn't because they will know.

@ privatebeavis contact MS Store support and not Xbox support, they can arrange for a return. They are a retailer just like any other and have to accept a return. They do not have to give you a refund though.

I got through again and they created another Advanced Exchange order and again gets cancelled as soon as its created. Its failing because of payment even though all they are trying to do is put a hold on my card.

I've contacted the credit card company and they say both orders were accepted and are waiting for microsoft for next steps so the issue is on their side!

I'm now on the T3 waiting list so I might have an update in a month or so if I'm lucky!! very frustrating! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Best €500 you ever spent I'd say.

Gonna wait at least a year until they have these issues sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Where did you buy the console, direct from MS was it?

Myrddin wrote: »
    Where did you buy the console, direct from MS was it?

Yep, I bought it directly from my 360 console! That where laziness gets me!
    I'm very tempted to just open it up and fix it myself... how hard can it be if thumping it seems to fix for some people.

Hey Munkymanmatt,

In fairness I don't really care what is wrong with my console whether its a broken drive or doesnt work at all. In fact I'd prefer have a broken drive because at least I could play some games while I wait for microsofts ridiculous customer support system to handle my problem.

You seem to know a lot about there system. I don't see how microsoft can think it acceptable to have a month backlog on there "advocacy" team support? They make enough money, they should have plans in place for situations where the cs comes under increased load!!

When a customer buys something you want them to be happy with their purchase, after this experience I will not be at any stage now. Microsoft store support also leaves a lot to be desired and this will be my last purchase there. (After having bought a surface pro last year and having delivery issues!)

Too late. Also the free game was only for disc drive failure.
    Bad news is when advocacy(aka T3) get involved all you can do is wait it out. T1 cannot touch the case once they are brought in. T2 don't really handle stuff like T1/3 so they wouldn't be involved anyway.

T3 are seriously busy at the moment so you have to sit tight for a little longer. Account recoveries are taking up to a month at the moment. Don't forget your password :pac:

@ allanb, just ring support and explain, you will get sorted pronto, but only if it was actually a disc drive problem. No point ringing if it wasn't because they will know.

@ privatebeavis contact MS Store support and not Xbox support, they can arrange for a return. They are a retailer just like any other and have to accept a return. They do not have to give you a refund though.

I hope we both get a some-way acceptable resolution...

It really burned to see I could have purchase the titanfall bundle with fifa14 in argos for 30 euro less than I paid microsoft for just the titanfall bundle.

:(

Yep, I bought it directly from my 360 console! That where laziness gets me!
    I'm very tempted to just open it up and fix it myself... how hard can it be if thumping it seems to fix for some people.

Hey Munkymanmatt,

In fairness I don't really care what is wrong with my console whether its a broken drive or doesnt work at all. In fact I'd prefer have a broken drive because at least I could play some games while I wait for microsofts ridiculous customer support system to handle my problem.

You seem to know a lot about there system. I don't see how microsoft can think it acceptable to have a month backlog on there "advocacy" team support? They make enough money, they should have plans in place for situations where the cs comes under increased load!!

With regards to the backlog, think about the big picture here. Getting someone working effectively in T3 takes a great deal of experience and training. No company in the world is going to be able magically come up with an extra thousand or so staff that they only need for 6 months or so for their top level of support. It really is a technical job, T3 do more than click buttons and type some notes.

Having a bit of backlog in support is totally normal when there's a new product released no matter what the product is. Deal with it.

• Advertisement

Well I'm officially 34 days now with a broken xbox one. All I've wanted to do was get it exchanged. If you really think it's acceptable to wait that long I don't know what I can say to you. An exchange is something straight forward or at least it should be.
    I finally got contacted by T3 3 days ago and subsequently by a T3 supervisor 2 days ago. When sarah from T3 dealt with me she explained their system has issues processing consoles that are part of the titanfall bundle and so advance exchanges can't be performed. Why I'd to wait three weeks to hear this from T3 I'll never know. Could have an Xbox by normal exchange by now. Had suggested this to tier 1 at one stage but since I'd already been escalated they would not deal with my issue. So now I've shipped my console off, which will take a week by ups standard, and another week whenever they decide to ship me someone else's repaired unit.
    I didn't want to buy a secondhand Xbox one. But this is where I am now.

Well I'm officially 34 days now with a broken xbox one. All I've wanted to do was get it exchanged. If you really think it's acceptable to wait that long I don't know what I can say to you. An exchange is something straight forward or at least it should be.
    I finally got contacted by T3 3 days ago and subsequently by a T3 supervisor 2 days ago. When sarah from T3 dealt with me she explained their system has issues processing consoles that are part of the titanfall bundle and so advance exchanges can't be performed. Why I'd to wait three weeks to hear this from T3 I'll never know. Could have an Xbox by normal exchange by now. Had suggested this to tier 1 at one stage but since I'd already been escalated they would not deal with my issue. So now I've shipped my console off, which will take a week by ups standard, and another week whenever they decide to ship me someone else's repaired unit.
    I didn't want to buy a secondhand Xbox one. But this is where I am now.

So this is what I have to look forward to now when they eventually get back to me!!! Absolute joke!

How's it going for you PrivateBeavis?

My broken console arrives in Germany tomorrow. Believe it could be a couple of days before they ship me a replacement...

How's it going for you PrivateBeavis?

My broken console arrives in Germany tomorrow. Believe it could be a couple of days before they ship me a replacement...

Still waiting on call from Advocacy Team, I'll probably be waiting a while!

Right. Well it was 22 days when I heard so hope you hear soon. Id say have a box ready to send it off...

They've basically stalled me on whether I will be given anything for my trouble. The guy said he wants to see exactly how long this whole process takes and then we can see. I told him that to be honest it sounded like him pushing the issue till later and hoping that when I get my console I'll forget about the 6 weeks waiting for it.

I'll certainly be bringing up the fact it is now cheaper in shops with more...
    I'll let you know how it works out

Right. Well it was 22 days when I heard so hope you hear soon. Id say have a box ready to send it off...

They've basically stalled me on whether I will be given anything for my trouble. The guy said he wants to see exactly how long this whole process takes and then we can see. I told him that to be honest it sounded like him pushing the issue till later and hoping that when I get my console I'll forget about the 6 weeks waiting for it.

I'll certainly be bringing up the fact it is now cheaper in shops with more...
    I'll let you know how it works out

I've seen pretty decent stuff offered and also pathetic stuff. If you're in luck they'll offer you a free accessory for xbone, normally people go for a controller, 60 euro in the shops. If you're not it will be 3 months of live or worse.

After it taking 7 weeks to receive my console I'm not happy with what was offered. In total I added it up and in total I've spent >4 hours trying to solve this and get my console...

Not happy... undecided as yet whether I'm going to return it entirely to Microsoft store for a refund. I was in two minds as to which console to get...

So over 2 months later finally have a fully working Xbox one!

After about 6 weeks waiting on the T3 support I gave up and started the standard support order from the online support site (i.e. print UPS label, send xbox and wait for fixed/returned).
    That process was about 2 weeks and I have my own Xbox back fixed no more grinding noise...

I'll probably get a mail from T3 in a few weeks!

As much as I'd like to switch for PS4 now I'll probably just keep the XBO... next time I'll go with Sony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

So over 2 months later finally have a fully working Xbox one!

After about 6 weeks waiting on the T3 support I gave up and started the standard support order from the online support site (i.e. print UPS label, send xbox and wait for fixed/returned).
    That process was about 2 weeks and I have my own Xbox back fixed no more grinding noise...

I'll probably get a mail from T3 in a few weeks!

As much as I'd like to switch for PS4 now I'll probably just keep the XBO... next time I'll go with Sony!

After that kind of treatment I know where I would be going - sell it for 400 quid and cut your losses - as someone who worked in Xbox for a while, I can tell you, realistically, they won't contact you...

Your best chance of any recourse is to send a registered letter to MS in Reading, telling them everything that happened and you may get something, T3 might offer you a month or two of XBL as a say sorry, which if you accept it - your worse....

Unfortunately the Gilly answering the phone can do feck all about it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Fieldog wrote: »
    After that kind of treatment I know where I would be going - sell it for 400 quid and cut your losses - as someone who worked in Xbox for a while, I can tell you, realistically, they won't contact you...

Your best chance of any recourse is to send a registered letter to MS in Reading, telling them everything that happened and you may get something, T3 might offer you a month or two of XBL as a say sorry, which if you accept it - your worse....

Unfortunately the Gilly answering the phone can do feck all about it....

A bit OTT. I am sure the grass is much greener in Sony support lol

Anyone I know that has had issues with Xbox One such as disc drives and controller were all sorted. I wouldn't expect Microsoft to win support awards but I wouldn't switch console expecting some utopian experience with Sony support.

Many of us boards users have had good and bad experienced with MS support.

The key thing is if you have a bad experience is to leverage it. Be very polite and speak about your disappointment with their service and say you are giving them a chance to redeem themselves and then see what they have to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A bit OTT. I am sure the grass is much greener in Sony support lol

Anyone I know that has had issues with Xbox One such as disc drives and controller were all sorted. I wouldn't expect Microsoft to win support awards but I wouldn't switch console expecting some utopian experience with Sony support.

Many of us boards users have had good and bad experienced with MS support.

The key thing is if you have a bad experience is to leverage it. Be very polite and speak about your disappointment with their service and say you are giving them a chance to redeem themselves and then see what they have to offer.

If you think doing a standard exchange of a console and waiting 10 working days for a console if you ain't got 500 quid on your credit card to go with the 3-5 day "advanced exchange" option is great service, then that's fair enough....

Grass ain't all that greener in Sony-land, having dealt with them myself with 2 dodgy PS4 controllers, hold time was far longer than Xbox, but they did what I needed, and replaced both straight away with retailer, no sending off controllers at my expense....

As I said in the post above, the outsourced call centre you ring with MS can't do much, if anything - your best bet is contact the Reading office with a registered letter for any form of compensation, as T3 in the US can only do so much, and via email they don't tend to listen or respond in most cases and leave the poor fecker who you get on the phone next to take the hit....

Advertisement