Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BIS UCC

• 09-12-2013 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm currently in 6th year and I'm aiming to do BIS in UCC. The points have kind of got me worried though, having made a massive jump by 30 points to 440(?). Any ideas if it will stay at that level or even drop/increase?

Also, could I get an insight into what the course is actually like as a student in terms of hours per week, difficulty, atmosphere in class etc

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

I wouldn't think that there would be a jump like that nature, that jump could be related to the jump in points in computer science due to less places I would think.

Not in the course myself but it isn't the hardest course, a lot more business-y than computers, more computer-y than commerce :P
    Timetables can be found at: http://timetable.ucc.ie/programme.asp :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Hey, I'm currently in 6th year and I'm aiming to do BIS in UCC. The points have kind of got me worried though, having made a massive jump by 30 points to 440(?). Any ideas if it will stay at that level or even drop/increase?

The fact that you're asking gives me the impression that you don't know how the system works. Nobody knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    The fact that you're asking gives me the impression that you don't know how the system works. Nobody knows.

I know how the system works. I was asking other people's opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I know how the system works. I was asking other people's opinions.

Ok. In my opinion, the points required will depend on the points people who have applied for the course in question achieve in a bunch of exams in 6 months time.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SkullRose

Hey,
    I'm a third year BIS student. Personally I think the points will continue to grow mainly due to the demand for it and because of the prospects for students after they graduate.

In terms of hours, it's about 20 ish hours a year between lectures, labs and tutorials. The course is half business and half IT related in first year, the business side decreases as the years go on. :)

Difficulty is hard to determine mainly because it's down to the person themselves and how quickly they grasp things. Everything is taught from a begineer level so most people are at the same level.

Atmosphere is down to the class, but everyone is generally friendly and there's a lot of events throughout the college year so there's chances to bond.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

SkullRose wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm a third year BIS student. Personally I think the points will continue to grow mainly due to the demand for it and because of the prospects for students after they graduate.

In terms of hours, it's about 20 ish hours a year between lectures, labs and tutorials. The course is half business and half IT related in first year, the business side decreases as the years go on. :)

Difficulty is hard to determine mainly because it's down to the person themselves and how quickly they grasp things. Everything is taught from a begineer level so most people are at the same level.

Atmosphere is down to the class, but everyone is generally friendly and there's a lot of events throughout the college year so there's chances to bond.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! Exactly what I needed. Yeah, at the BIS talk on the open day, there was no space left for people in Boole 2 :P never expected such a high demand for the course. Hopefully it won't go up too high!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SkullRose

Thank you! Exactly what I needed. Yeah, at the BIS talk on the open day, there was no space left for people in Boole 2 :P never expected such a high demand for the course. Hopefully it won't go up too high!

Well the demand is there and people are finally realising that there are so many jobs in IT that go unfilled that maybe BIS is an option. :D In my opinion though I think the points are pretty reasonable for the course not that it sounds like it but for the course itself and the opportunities presented to students it really is fair. In saying that the points jumped by 20 I think by time I started :P

Just put your head down and work hard and you shouldn't have a problem getting a place! If you have anymore questions don't be afraid to ask. :)

Advertisement