Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zero Tolerance for Dublin City Centre, would it work?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Mob rule right so if i saw a gang of suspicious people hanging around the house of an elderly person then reporting it to the guards would not be the thing to do?By your logic a neighborhood watch scheme is probably seen as a form of mob rule!

Exactly ringing the gardai bc you are in fear is not mob rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Actually just walking around your neighbourhood , making sure people and property is secure, making people who are not from the neighbourhood and have no good reason to be there uncomfortable or unwelcome is not mob rule either.
    It's normal behaviour and completely legal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Like community watch they are perfectly legit..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

People can't actually loiter. It's why pickets move in circles.

People are perfectly entitled to loiter. If a guard suspects there's something untoward going on, they can invoke a public order act, but that doesn't make loitering itself a crime - refusing to comply with the orders of the guard is.

maninasia wrote: »
    Actually just walking around your neighbourhood , making sure people and property is secure, making people who are not from the neighbourhood and have no good reason to be there uncomfortable or unwelcome is not mob rule either.

Of course it's not. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's legal and normal behavoiur. Abnormal would be to welcome groups of outsiders or strangers to loiter outside your house and in your community at any time of the day or night.

Making somebody uncomfortable or unwelcome in a given situation is not illegal, it happens all the time, everywhere, everyday.

'Oi, get off my wall'
    'Oi, get out of my garden'
    'Oi folks, have you got no home to go to?'
    'This area is monitored by closed circuit TV'
    'No junk mail'
    'Large dog'

Even McDonalds do it with their hard plastic seats and bright lighting!

You've been shot down a few times already, not feeling unwelcome or uncomfortable yet :).

It's legal and normal behavoiur. Abnormal would be to welcome groups of outsiders or strangers to loiter outside your house and in your community at any time of the day or night.

Making somebody uncomfortable or unwelcome is not illegal, it happens all the time, everywhere, everyday.

'Oi, get off my wall'
    'Oi, get out of my garden'
    'Oi folks, have you got no home to go to?'

Even McDonalds do it with their hard plastic seats and bright lighting!

You've been shot down a few times already, not feeling unwelcome or uncomfortable yet :).

I think you'll find that those 'undesirables' on the public street are also part of the community. Telling someone to get off your private property is all well and good - but we're not talking about private property here, are we? That you can't see advocacy for mob rule and vigilantism as something wrong speaks volumes for your actual notions of what constitutes 'community care'. But since you are of a mind to go around throwing slurs out willy-nilly, maybe it's not that surprising.

As to being made feel 'unwelcome'? Last time I checked, we're talking about the city that's my community, not yours?

alastair wrote: »
    I think you'll find that those 'undesirables' on the public street are also part of the community. Telling someone to get off your private property is all well and good - but we're not talking about private property here, are we? That you can't see advocacy for mob rule and vigilantism as something wrong speaks volumes for your actual notions of what constitutes 'community care'. But since you are of a mind to go around throwing slurs out willy-nilly, maybe it's not that surprising.

Next you'll be inviting them in for tea and biscuits.
    You can offer them your flat screen TV aswell :rolleyes:. Good members of the community that they are I'm sure.

Follow it up with a dessert of chuggers, welcome all :).

Next you'll be inviting them in for tea and biscuits.
    You can offer them your flat screen TV aswell.:rolleyes:. Good members of the community that they are I'm sure.

You're clearly unsure of much though - therein lies the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You were warned to keep this on topic. Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement