Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pirelli Angel ST or Bridgestone Battle axe - On a Deauville - commuting in Ireland

• 09-12-2013 4:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

They sound good on the wet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rmrk2Q5R_8

Pirelli on my car have saved me more than once so I thought If give them a go.

Ive since heard that Bridgestone Battle axe are highly recommended on the Deauvilles.

What so you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I only used PR3 on the front and a PR2 on the rear ion my Deauville. She had Battleax on when I got her and did not take to them

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Both are very good tires, and both will find your limits before you find their's.

Since its for commuting I'd say go for the cheapest or harder wearing of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭p_mac

Hiya,

Got a great run out of a set of BT023's there recently, defo a good choice on the Deauville! I currently have a T30 on the back and with about 4k miles on it I know it's not gonna last as long as the 023 did but it's still a great tyre.

I changed the front recently and for the hell of it put on an angel ST, so far I'm impressed but sur it's always gonna feel good after goin on after a yok that was well bucked, but it defo is a good tyre. I guess the real test will be over time though. I am contemplating putting one on the back the next time round just to see how it goes!

As a fellow commuter I find tyre considerations coming round all to often, I was devout Bridgestone and IMHO you won't go far wrong with 023's or the newer T30's but for the craic I think I'm gonna go with the Pirelli's this time and maybe the Road Pilots next just to see is there a noticeable difference for the type of riding I do... I think a lot of it depends on personal preference... Good luck choosing!

regards,
    PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I went from a set of BT23's to Angel ST's four years ago. I much prefer the Angel ST's due to their wet road handling. I only get around 10k out of them though, I'm on my third set atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I have BT023s on my GSX1400 and I found them to return any kind of feedback. I didn't like them at all, although they're barely showing signs of wear after about 1500 miles.

I fitted Dunlop Road Smarts to the Mille and instantly took to them on that bike. They're only a couple on a couple of weeks so mileage remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

cantdecide wrote: »
    I have BT023s on my GSX1400 and I found them to return any kind of feedback. I didn't like them at all, although they're barely showing signs of wear after about 1500 miles.

I fitted Dunlop Road Smarts to the Mille and instantly took to them on that bike. They're only a couple on a couple of weeks so mileage remains to be seen.

In fairness on a bike like that your more on the sports tyre area, then the sports tourer area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

In fairness on a bike like that your more on the sports tyre area, then the sports tourer area.

Well, I remember reading about a superbike school in the UK that uses PR3s on S1000RRs. I've been on a few runs where I saw several Gixxer 1000's with them too. I reckon the chances of me being in a situation where the tyres are the difference between me ending up in the scenery are practically negligible the way I ride.

The bike, to me, is more of a daily driver suitable for the odd track day (I have a good pair of part worn Diablo Corsas) so testing my tyres to their limit is very low on my list of priorities whereas getting the best wear out of them is. IMO, it's a pretty low risk experiment, in other words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks all.

I bought a set of angels and was concerned Id made the right decision. The back is on a few month but it's the front that really important in bad wet weather I think. The good in the wet bit is very reassuring

How long does it take to break in a tyre?

What pressure is recomended front and back for Deauville for a solo rider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭p_mac

be well broke in after 100 mile I'd say...

Front 36 psi

Rear 42 psi

think these are about rite! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

cantdecide wrote: »
    Well, I remember reading about a superbike school in the UK that uses PR3s on S1000RRs. I've been on a few runs where I saw several Gixxer 1000's with them too. I reckon the chances of me being in a situation where the tyres are the difference between me ending up in the scenery are practically negligible the way I ride.

The bike, to me, is more of a daily driver suitable for the odd track day (I have a good pair of part worn Diablo Corsas) so testing my tyres to their limit is very low on my list of priorities whereas getting the best wear out of them is. IMO, it's a pretty low risk experiment, in other words.

The Ron Haslam race school use Bridgestone on all their bikes.

Since the profile is different on the tyres it's really down to personal preference as most sports touring tyres have grip levels above what road riders need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement