Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Chang'e3+Yutu going to land on the Moon on Saturday December 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

jumpjack wrote: »

Wow they are tiny!

Not sure about the quality though, to me they look like they are made of cheap Chinese plastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 yck016

ya this pair look pretty tiny and filmsy. its a wonder it can withstand the climatic and geography of the moon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Bohrio wrote: »
    Wow they are tiny!

Not sure about the quality though, to me they look like they are made of cheap Chinese plastic...

Yes they are tiny, they are 1:22 scale models :D

The real rover weights over 100kg and is about 1.5 metres tall. The total landing mass including lander is greater than that of a 2014 Toyota Corolla

prototype:

chinas-yutu-moon-rover_0.jpg

Lander:

http://www.whatsonxiamen.com/tech2302.html

China-moon-rover-Yutu_93522.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Heres hoping for a successful landing! With hd streaming of the whole thing live of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 yck016

compare to the apollos in the 70s this indeed is miniscule. have to wish them luck given the aspiration
    to set up bases on the moon. its better trying than not doin anything. an leap for mankind:-) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

The lander has a plutonium-powered nuclear generator. So why does it have solar panels?

yck016 wrote: »
    compare to the apollos in the 70s this indeed is miniscule. have to wish them luck given the aspiration
    to set up bases on the moon. its better trying than not doin anything. an leap for mankind:-) ?

The Chinese are certainly making giant leaps(pardon pun) considering they are relatively new to the whole Space race.

2 stroke wrote: »
    The lander has a plutonium-powered nuclear generator. So why does it have solar panels?
    Its to keep it warm at night. Much smaller than an rtg.

shedweller wrote: »
    Its to keep it warm at night. Much smaller than an rtg.

That explains the plutonium-powered nuclear generator. But why also have solar panels? If its got a nuke, surely it would have made sense to make it big enough to power all systems and save weight & fuel getting it there.

• Advertisement

2 stroke wrote: »
    That explains the plutonium-powered nuclear generator. But why also have solar panels? If its got a nuke, surely it would have made sense to make it big enough to power all systems and save weight & fuel getting it there.
    They use a pellet of plutonium to provide heat. Theres no other machinery to allow it to make heat. It just radiates heat sitting there. No moving parts no nothing. So its a very lightweight heating solution. Turning that into an rtg requires a good few more parts, not to mention more plutonium to get the required heat output to deliver the required wattage.
    Hence the solar panels as they are very light by comparison.
    But i agree that an rtg would have allowed the rover to keep truckin 24/7. Costs i suppose?

The lander, which does not move after touchdown, carries a plutonium-powered nuclear generator to provide electricity during the two-week lunar night.

Thanks, I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet. I thought if it produced enough electricty to keep it warm at night, it wouldnt be too difficult to power a few instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Such a shame this isn't getting more attention. The first soft lunar landing in nearly 40 years!! This is huge. If it was an American mission no doubt the media would be all over it. Anyway best of luck YuTu! Looking forward to seeing lunar surface images.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭caoty

Live broadcast in Chinese, better than nothing. Landing time 1:40pm GMT est.

http://tv.cntv.cn/live/cctv13/

Link here in English

http://english.cntv.cn/live/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

CCTV news is available on satellite TV here in Ireland too:
    CCTV NEWS 12.663 H 22000 5/6

Tuning instructions here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

It that available to Free-to-Air?
    Rovi wrote: »

Rovi wrote: »

Channel 510 on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

jumpjack wrote: »

210658l4l3arr3ylvbbva3.jpg

189634d1386539225-china-change-3-lunar-module-yutu-rover-apollo-change3.jpg
    Chang'e3 on the Left, Apollo LM on the right.

Other forum:
    http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=26848.180

WHAT IS THIS, a moon lander for ants?

• Advertisement

sh__93 wrote: »
    WHAT IS THIS, a moon lander for ants?

It's a scale model!!!

Here's a prototype of the rover during testing

283875_533987129995626_371072966_n.jpg

Wow!

She's landed!

Chang_e3_landing.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Congratulations china. All seemed to go to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

china needs resources. rare metals for our day to day electronics. probably running short on earth and now thinking of further afield. commerce drives space exploration. who decides who owns what on the moon? in the old days whoever got a flag there first was the owner. so america owns the moon?:D

i wonder will the chinese rover "accidentally" knock the american flag(s) over:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭apollo8

Pictures beamed live from the craft as it was landing congrats china:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They need to prove the American flags and footprints are there first though.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

It's quite incredible that SkyandTelescope have nothing about this on their home page :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

2D9988204-131214-china-moon2-1045a.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg
    d0513221jw1ebjx3wmn6lj207i0dcjse.jpg
    2D9988205-moon4.blocks_desktop_medium.jpg
    118559357_51n.jpg

Advertisement