Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Pay: Is this correct?

Options
  • 09-12-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

Just looking for some advice. My wife went on maternity leave in August and the company agreed to "top up" her wages. She is getting €262 pw (1135 pm) maternity beneift also.

The problem is that her company are deducting €2364 (the gross amount for €1135????) per month from her gross. Her tax credits are have also been reduced. She is down around €500-600 euros a month! We have followed the example on the revenue website and according to them it's the net amount ie €1135 that should be taken away. Surely she is being double taxed?

We have contacted the revenue and they say that the company is incorrect. Unfortunatley the contract payroll company that are doing their wages (a freindly lot indeed!) insist that they are right.

My wife is extremely stressed at the moment as if the wages are correct she will have to go back to work alot sooner than she had intended. If we had have known this would be the case we could have planned accordingly.

Also if the amount my wife is getting paid currently is correct who do we get the difference from. The revenue or the company?

Any advice would be greatly apprectiated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Irish.sherpa

From 1st July 2013 Maternity benefit is no longer tax exempt, however it used to be until that date.

What the payroll company is doing might have been correct before, but it is not anymore. I would point that out to them and ask for immediate refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

As your wife's company pay her during maternity, offset by maternity benefit (which is what I understand from your post) she should notice no negative difference in her salary, in fact she may notice a slight increase as the maternity benefit portion does not have PRSI or USC applied to it (although it is taxable).

More likely the problem could be due to a reallocation of tax credits? Has she received a new tax cert in recent months?

Advertisement