Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixies Marquee Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Lads, anyone interested in two tickets for the price of one? PM me, if you are.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Anyone know who is the support act?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Anyone know who is supporting the Pixies tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

Some young lads from Mullingar called The Academic apparently

How the hell did they land support for pixies?? Never heard of em.

Fair fecks to them anyway, nice gig to get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

https://www.facebook.com/thisistheacademic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Fair fecks to them anyway, nice gig to get

Disappointed to see that they have support ,with the long setlists they have been playing I hope that they dont play a shortened setlist in Cork as a result of the support .

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Sold out damn! Seems to have only happened this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Any idea of the stage times tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Zardoz wrote: »
    Disappointed to see that they have support ,with the long setlists they have been playing I hope that they dont play a shortened setlist in Cork as a result of the support .

They normally don't interact much, so an hour and half set should still see in excess of 25 songs.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Any idea of the stage times tonight?

The Academic 8pm,
    PIXIES 9pm
    Sold out damn! Seems to have only happened this morning.
    There will be loads of tickets floating around at the venue,always are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Zardoz wrote: »

They had a support act when I saw them last November and still played about 36 songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Well if they phoned it in at marlay park, then they were just conserving energy for this gig, because they were electric. Brilliant from start to finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

An encore wouldn't have gone astray! No "Gigantic" for example. As always Frank Blank didn't even say hi to the crowd. How hard is that? Great band but no excuse for some of the stuff they do or don't do....

As always Frank Blank didn't even say hi to the crowd. How hard is that?

He didnt even know where he was ;)
    Near the end he was leaning over to Joey and asking him "Where are we"
    Funny ,Joey knew where he was allright.
    An encore wouldn't have gone astray!
    Yeah,the crowd definitely deserved an encore ,not sure why they didnt play a longer gig ,it wasnt a festival gig .90 minutes on the button.

Gig was good but disappointed with the sound ,the vocals were shockingly low ,I'm not sure they were even turned on for the fist few songs .
    I think the band enjoyed the gig judging by their post on twitter
    Cork....thanks for a great night , What a crowd .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

An encore wouldn't have gone astray! No "Gigantic" for example. As always Frank Blank didn't even say hi to the crowd. How hard is that? Great band but no excuse for some of the stuff they do or don't do....

They haven't been playing Gigantic at all this tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

It was very good, much better than when I last saw them at t in the park a good few years back. Haven't been to a marquee gig in yonks, it's funny to see how diverse the crowd is.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭KrakityJones

I've seen em now 4 times, this was definitely the best, they looked like they were enjoying themselves, set list was spot on... They played crackity Jones, that was me happy!

jpm4 wrote: »
    It was very good, much better than when I last saw them at t in the park a good few years back. Haven't been to a marquee gig in yonks, it's funny to see how diverse the crowd is.

Yeah I was surprised by how young the crowd was ,seemed to be an awful lot of teenagers around me ,I would have expected an older mid 40's fan base.

The crowd were well behaved bar the usual gob****es who thought they were back in the nineties and could mosh at will .

I enjoyed the support act The Academics ,very good for teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That was tremendous. Great show, great crowd and the songs just kept on coming. I much preferred that than the interaction other bands do.

The support wouldn't have been my cup of tea but they were so young and I'm sure tonight is one they'll never forget.

Im a lot more annoyed now than I was that they are clashing with Pearl Jam at Rock Werchter on Saturday (stupid schedulers)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

back in dublin now after that madness....best i've seen them yet....sleep's dopesmoker lasts from cork to mountrath, for those of you that ever wondered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Really good gig, song after song and it just kept on coming! Some amount of songs that everyone knew.

No Gigantic is fairly obvious with Kim not in the band anymore. My only disappointment was no Holiday Song!

Happy in one way I saw them cos of the Pearl Jam clash in Belgium, but annoying cos Id love to watch Dave Lovering again, guy was on fire.

lovering is a beast of a drummer.....and a voice like chocolate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

Pixies don't interact with the crowd at any gigs, don't believe it's a pose, going by "Loud/Quiet/Loud", they're just shy and uncommunicative in general. I think it's Kim's sister who points out to them that they are the worst at communicating to each other. It just didn't occur to them that it's perhaps unusual to hardly speak to each other. I suspect Frank & Joey & David are actually very close, but can't express themselves to save their lives. That being said, they looked delighted at the end of the gig, they were grinning from ear to ear. And they sounded better than ever.

I think i lip read frank saying "where are we" to joey during a hyper crowd moment! ....but i think it was in relation to the loud reception they were getting!!

as regards crowd interaction.....they fit in another 10 songs where lesser bands talk sh1te....like who really gives a sh1t what bands say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Saw them on Sunday in Marlay Park, but really wish I'd have gotten to this as well :( Sounds savage.

Saw them on Sunday in Marlay Park, but really wish I'd have gotten to this as well :( Sounds savage.
    it was....the crowd probably helped too.....it was like a classic pixies gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Saw them in Marley and was craving the Olympia where I'd seen them previously. The pixies need somewhere dark and dirty (though I had enjoyed them in Landsdowne and Phoenix Park previously). I think in Marley they didn't like being a support act.

Re the not talking, I agree with the intensity of the set as a result and the first time I saw it I really respected them, but there such fascinating people I'd love to see just a bit more of their personalities. I can't think of many people I'd rather meet and talk to than the Pixies.

Glad to hear the Cork gig rocked as was worried after Marley.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Who honestly cares if a band talk on stage? You're they're to hear the music, not sh!t banter between bandmates/condescending "and we thought they knew how to rock in [Rival City]" BS

I thought Pixies were incredible last night from start to finish. Their intensity for the duration of the 90 minute set was something else. Some of my highlights were the set kicking off with Debaser (really set the tone for the rest of the night), Hey (possibly my favourite Pixies song), what seemed like the entire tent singing along to Gouge Away, and Joey's three guitars solo - he looked like he was having an absolute blast.

In fact the entire band did too - they've been playing festival crowds the last two months, playing their own headline gig to 5,000 people in a very intimate venue must have been a very welcome change for them, and you could see they were loving it.

I could have done with another half an hour though! Couldn't believe when it was over the 90 minutes just flew by

Absolutely loved it and the best gig I've seen in years.

Setlist From last night - taken from
    http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2014/live-at-the-marquee-cork-ireland-3bc18c94.html

Debaser
    U-Mass
    Monkey Gone to Heaven
    Rock Music
    Wave of Mutilation
    Hey
    Bagboy
    River Euphrates
    Something Against You
    Bone Machine
    Crackity Jones
    Mr. Grieves
    Magdalena 318
    Nimrod's Son
    Indie Cindy
    Here Comes Your Man
    La La Love You
    Greens and Blues
    Caribou
    Isla de Encanta
    I've Been Tired
    Cactus
    Gouge Away
    Tame
    Planet of Sound
    Where Is My Mind?
    Vamos

(although it's not entirely correct, Brick is Red was played last night but I can't remember exactly where)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Endless Nameless

best gig I've ever gone to, by the end my whole body was just dripping in sweat.

I didn't catch Charles saying that to Joe at all though

and that twitter post was really nice

I didn't even realise it was only an hour and a half either

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

What drinks they sell it going to a gig and I can drink now

Advertisement