Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Somewhere for a quiet drink in Dublin

Options
  • 09-12-2013 11:17am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm meeting some friends in the city centre next Saturday evening for a Christmas drink and a chat and wondering would anyone have a recommendation. None of us have lived in Dublin for a few years so don't really know what's what's in the city. I know the rugby's on and it's less than two weeks before the big day but if anyone knows somewhere where we'd likely get a seat and be able to chat I'd appreciate it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hermy wrote: »
    I'm meeting some friends in the city centre next Saturday evening for a Christmas drink and a chat and wondering would anyone have a recommendation. None of us have lived in Dublin for a few years so don't really know what's what's in the city. I know the rugby's on and it's less than two weeks before the big day but if anyone knows somewhere where we'd likely get a seat and be able to chat I'd appreciate it.

Peters Pub near St Stephens green. You might not get a seat straight away but people are always coming and going.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Peters Pub near St Stephens green. You might not get a seat straight away but people are always coming and going.

Somewhere like that would be ideal though I should have said location-wise I'm thinking somewhere closer to O'Connell Bridge. But thanks all the same.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Perhaps Chaplins pub on Hawkins street.
    nice spot just beside the Screen cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

The Oval Bar on Middle Abbey Street is cozy and serves food. Not sure what it will be like on a Saturday though with the rugby as it has a television.

I think I know that place to see but never been in it. Thanks whiskeyman.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

Another option is a hotel:
    - The Gresham Hotel
    - The Morrison
    - The Westin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Sackville Lounge down the side of Clerys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Quiet + Saturday evening + Coming up to Xmas = Unlikely you'll get exactly what you want tbh!

I'd probably go for the Long Hall myself, its on Georges St.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Nearys Bar on Chatham Street (just off Grafton Street) is another good spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Bowes on Fleet St (beside Doyle's) - absolutely beautiful pub, nice and quiet, with a good range of beer and whiskey.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Quiet + Saturday evening + Coming up to Xmas = Unlikely you'll get exactly what you want tbh!
    Oh, I doubt that. I'm a rugby fan and I don't mind a bit of Christmas cheer.
    I just don't want to end up somewhere where we can't hear ourselves think.
    And The Long Hall is the sort of place I have in mind.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

You're not going to get quiet in the city centre next Saturday. Everywhere will be heaving.

But you might get a full place that's not full of 12 Pub People where you can find a seat.

Somewhere like the Library Bar in the Central Hotel might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Hotel bars are the way to go. While they lack atmosphere, they give you quiet and space. Some very good suggestions above.

Not on O'Connell St, but the bar in Brooks Hotel is usually a good spot for a quiet chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

the library bar upstairs in the central hotel is normally a good place for a chat even in December!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Mulligans on Poolbeg St is a firm favourite of mine

Thanks for all the suggestion - lots to choose from.
    I suppose the thread title is a bit off cue - quieter or less loud might be more apt.:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement