Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OFF LICENCE licences...

Options
  • 09-12-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Good morning all,

Am doing some research into opening an OFF LICENCE/bottle tasting shop in Dublin. Does anyone know what type of licence is needed to operate an off licence that also has the option to open and drink/taste on premises? Would a full pub licence be needed or is there something in between that wouldnt be so pricey that would enable this business model to work? Probus Wines has a similar model that seems to enable them to serve beer on or off premises plus food. I believe they have a full pub licence though.

Many thanks for any advise,
    P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

Many off-licences offer tasting in-house but as I understand it they may not charge for the samlping by customers. It has to be free of charge and is permitted under a regular offsales licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 craftbeer2014

Thanks, yes I am aware of that law by where you can offer free tastes. I am looking to give people the option to buy a btl beer, and then either take it home (like an off licence) or open it on premises and drink it there. There will not be any draft beer so I was hoping I could avoid a Pub licence. Possibly an off licence with restaurant certificate to sell beer and wine??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

A wine licence prohibits the sale of any other alcoholic drinks, so a restauant licence appears to be the only other alternative to add to an off sales operation but you may need to be serving food too, to get one. Good info on Revenue.ie site. Might be worth giving them a call, they are generally very helpful in giving advice, despite their rep!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Good morning all,

Am doing some research into opening an OFF LICENCE/bottle tasting shop in Dublin. Does anyone know what type of licence is needed to operate an off licence that also has the option to open and drink/taste on premises? Would a full pub licence be needed or is there something in between that wouldnt be so pricey that would enable this business model to work? Probus Wines has a similar model that seems to enable them to serve beer on or off premises plus food. I believe they have a full pub licence though.

Many thanks for any advise,
    P

A pub licence consists of 2 licences; an ON Licence for sale of alcohol and consumption ON the premises, and an OFF Licence for sale of alcohol and consumption OFF the premises.

It is my understanding that you would require a full pub licence to do what you are proposing.

Advertisement