Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milk Frother

• 09-12-2013 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

So my desperation has reach such point that I have bought a coffee machine for work. Now considering that I dont have my own office and that we have a clean desk policy finding the right coffee machine was a bit of an adventure.

So in the end I got the ROK Presso which has had very good reviews and lets be honest I was just looking for an excuse to buy one.

However, now I need to find a proper milk frother that will not only froth the milk but heat it up.

Most of the frothers out there are quite expensive, I was thinking of something in the likes of the Aeroccino or Dualit models, they make "decent" froth and are practical enough but IMO they are a bit too big but they seem to be the only options.

And here is my question, does anyone has a milk frother that he/she wouldn't mind selling?

Aldi were selling one for 20 euro but its gone now! :(

I just dont want to spend another 70 euro on the milk frother but I have the feeling there isn't an alternative out there for me at the moment.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hey GH

That was my favorite... but they wont delivery to ROI :(

I have found it on ebay. I like the size and the fact that I can probably hide it on my desk without anyone noticing... I might go for it in the end

Thanks for the help!

edit: They took my order for some reason... :S I tried last week and it wouldnt work but then I saw item sold by Amazon and decided to give it a go and it worked! happy days... now all i need is a portable grinder and I am all set...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I have the hostess model linked above, it works well and is easy to clean. I had a earlier model of the dualit which was a curse to clean. The newer models function in a similar way to the hostess, so there are no electronics or contacts in the "jug".

One thing I will say is that sometimes the milk will not froth, I have read but do not not how true it is - something to do with the cattle feed! and now always use tesco's organic full fat milk and its the most consistent results wise.

The handle did came off my jug and hostess replaced the jug for me, have had it going on two years now and its showing signs of wear, but still makes enough frothy milk for a huge mug of latte.

Just talking about it makes me want a big creamy latte:), must invest in a grinder to up my game a little.

Vexorg wrote: »
    Just talking about it makes me want a big creamy latte:), must invest in a grinder to up my game a little.

LoL

That's exactly my problem, I always have a coffee early in the morning at around 7am but a couple of hours later I want a second one and I can't... I always have the choice of going to Costa or Insomnia but their coffee is just not good enough. For I while I used to bring my own grounded coffee from home and they used to brew it for me however, a few weeks ago the coffee started tasting burnt so I decided I had enough.

I bought in Spain an electric Caffettiera but its too big for just one person.

I was in between the Dualit and the hostess, I liked the hostess better because is a bit more inconspicuous although I know I am going to have a lot of abuse from my work colleagues when I swill start pulling out all my coffee gear but I will have the last laugh... hopefully

The grinder is going to a bit of an adventure, I think coffee angel sells a couple of portable grinders I might give it a go but I am not sure if they will be good enough for grinding espresso beans. We will see

Thanks again for everything

Ok guys, just to let you know today I received both the frother and the coffee machine.

In the package was included the coffee machine, a frother and a tamper/doser. The guys from Lacafeshop also include some coffee for free. I also bought a naked portafilter and a tamper.

machinepresso.jpg

pressoaccessories.jpg

I have to say that I think I am in love with the coffee machine. I have pulled out 4 shots so far and the more shots I make the better it gets.

First one was pathetic... mild dark, little body, some aroma and no crema and very bitter shot

shot1pt.jpg

I changed the grinding setting on my grinder to a finer size, I got more crema but pulling the shot took too long so the taste was too bitter

shot2b.jpg

so after a bit of thinking and a couple of tries I decided to use more water and set the grinder to grind the same size as for my normal espresso machine. I also allowed more time for the water to fill the portafilter and pulled slower but more consistently and finally pull out a decent looking shot with good amount of crema. Unfortunately by the time I found the phone and took a picture most of the crema was gone :( I might try to take a new picture again tomorrow

crema.jpg

So the cup had a full body flavor, slight bitterness and nice aroma. Crema had a nice medium dark brown color.

The shot was pulled in approx 20 seconds and I used the normal portafiler (not the naked portafilter). I used 16 gr of freshly roasted coffee (La finca Argentina - 2 days old).

I still have a lot to learn but I was surprised I was able to pull a shot like that so quickly. Tomorrow morning the final test... bed time for me now

The frother is working fine as well, quiet enough (most of the times) and the froth is decent as well, Frothed enough milk to fill a medium/big size cappuccino cup, took over 1 minute to froth and heat to approx 70 degrees. It does take 3 times as much to frother double the amount of milk.

I can't believe that tomorrow I am going to have a proper cup of coffee at work... I think I am going to cry tomorrow at work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭Vexorg

That is a very cool looking piece of kit. What grinder do you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Bohrio wrote: »
    I can't believe that tomorrow I am going to have a proper cup of coffee at work... I think I am going to cry tomorrow at work

I wish you worked at my office :P

Enjoy getting the hang of it. I love the upgrades ROK have done to it.

donnacha wrote: »
    I wish you worked at my office :P

Enjoy getting the hang of it. I love the upgrades ROK have done to it.

Offer me a job then! lol

Vexorg I have a mazzer mini model A, im looking for a hand grinder now to use at work...

Advertisement