Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Summer Camp - legit?

Options
  • 09-12-2013 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey :)
    I've recently been offered a summer job with USA Summer Camp. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this company, or even knows someone who has. It seems to me like it could be a scam. I've included links to their website and facebook page below.
    Also, I wasn't quite sure where to post this. If someone can think of a more appropriate forum please let me know.
    Thanks in advance lads.

website - http://www.usasummercamp.co.uk/apply
    fb page - https://www.facebook.com/usasc1?fref=ts

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Can't say that I know what forum would be best.

I don't see anything that would suggest that they were a scam though. The company has been around for about 6 years it would seem. link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭cena

Usit have been advertising a summer camp thing like this on there facebook page.
    I'm still waiting to hear back. You earn about a 1000 dollars at the end. That doesn't cover what you spent getting there and bringing spending money with you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aine.leen

That does look legit, I've contacted through them through a few different ways now and they seem consistent. I'm just far too wary and paranoid when it comes to this sort of thing. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aine.leen

@cena I just looked at the usit one now. Looks pretty good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

aine.leen wrote: »
    Hey :)
    I've recently been offered a summer job with USA Summer Camp.

As far as I can see they are just a portal, all they claim is that: We'll put your application onto our online matching system, which can be viewed by camps in the USA.

So how can they offer you a job in the US? They don't run summer camps. Are they asking for more money to put you in touch with a camp which has seen your CV and is prepared to offer you a job?

The cynic in me says that this sounds like some of the scammers who contact people with a car for sale online, claim they have loads of buyers on their books, charge you a fee to match you with prospective buyers and then do absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    As far as I can see they are just a portal, all they claim is that: We'll put your application onto our online matching system, which can be viewed by camps in the USA.

So how can they offer you a job in the US? They don't run summer camps. Are they asking for more money to put you in touch with a camp which has seen your CV and is prepared to offer you a job?

The cynic in me says that this sounds like some of the scammers who contact people with a car for sale online, claim they have loads of buyers on their books, charge you a fee to match you with prospective buyers and then do absolutely nothing.

That is what I'm worried about. Nearly a grand spent before you get there or even picked.

What happens if you don't get picked for a camp and do they give back all the money you spent applying etc

The company above are different to the ones usit have been advertising. They reckon they are much better than the irish company running it for Ireland.

But uk company have a head office in dublin as well

Advertisement