Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tikka Wear

Options
  • 09-12-2013 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi All

Half thinking of getting a tikka but from what I've seen second hand in various gun shops they don't seem to wear particularly well - plastic magazine etc...

I realise that some shooters don't mind their rifles but I've seen quite a few that didn't look tidy.

A lot of american reviews seem to say the same thing - really accurate but a bit plastic.

Would I be better off with a cz or similar as they seem to be a bit more rugged?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Tikka use a plastic stock, mag, etc to keep prices competitive. If they used a good timber stock, steel mags, etc. the price would reflect this and the sales may not be what they are.

The barreled actions are good. As said very accurate, smooth, and long lasting. Nothing to stop you going for a Tikka then replacing the stock with a timber, composite or laminate aftermarket one.

I recently purchased a Sako A7. I went for it over the Tikka for two reasons. I prefer Sako having owned a couple over the years and the stock is so much better on the Sako. It is a composite stock like the Tikka, but has a "rubberised" stock then is far more comfortable, and functional than the Tikka. It has a sharkskin feel meaning it does not slip even when wet. It is well balanced, weighty yet not heavy. The mag is also plastic, but detachable and frankly knowingg Sako's prices i'd sooner be trying to replace a plastic mag than one of their steel ones. The difference being the Sako A7 cost €1,300 with the Tikka coming in at €1,100. Considering the average Sako (85, etc) costs in the region of €1,850 it's a good saving for very little compromise.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

A tikka will wear as well as any other rifle and shoot better that most. Buy a hunter with a wooden stock, rather than the plastic ones and you will notice a difference. I know professional guides who use the Tikkas and swear by them.

The few bits that are plastic on them result in a lighter, and cheaper, rifle. If you get a chance, compare the weight of a Sako 75 and a Tikka. When you're on the hill carrying them, your back will appreciate the plastic parts of the Tikka ;)

Regarding the plastic mags: they are relatively cheap, so you can buy a spare; light, so you don't mind carrying the spare; and tough enough to last.
    I only know of one that broke and it got a bad drop onto a very hard surface, the type of this that would likely have dented a metal mag anyway. It was easy to put back together though and is still working today.

I'm a big fan of things that last, so I wouldn't have bought a Tikka if I wasn't confident in it. Now all I need is more time to shoot the thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

I know nearly everyone raves on about tikkas being great guns, I know they can be accurate but personally Im not a big fan of them for the very reason the op described, they do seem to wear badly plus I dont like that cheap plasticy feel. They feel like too many shortcuts have been taken to save costs. Id definitely go with what Cass did and pay the small bit extra and get a Sako A7.
    Would I be better off with a cz or similar as they seem to be a bit more rugged?

Id say yes you would be. If the looks and feel of them in the shop are bothering you it will only bother you more after you have spent your hard earned cash on it and had it a while. CZ are good guns, Ive had only good experiences with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

thanks for replies

It'll be second hand as funds are short. Like the A7 but they're not out long enough for stock of second hands to have hit the market. Might go for a good looking cz I saw

cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I normally don't do this, but for the money i think this is a must consider.

Stick a second hand scope for €250 or so on it and you have a terrific rifle for less/same a new Tikka.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

The stocks on tikkas are made to be replaced :)

I am a huge Tikka fan.. I like having something different..

Its one of the best actions on the market for the bobs..

I prefer the plastic mags.. They don't scratch up like steel cz ones..
    Far better than a floor plate remi job too!

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Cass wrote: »
    I normally don't do this, but for the money i think this is a must consider.

Stick a second hand scope for €250 or so on it and you have a terrific rifle for less/same a new Tikka.

Beeeeeyoootiful!

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Thanks for the heads up - shes a beauty all right but i'll
    be going a bit cheaper until I get up and running.

Advertisement