Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Quantum 70 wireless question

Options
  • 09-12-2013 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Got this system (HKC Quantum 70) fitted recently by approved fitter. Excellent job, very neat, and I'm very happy with the installation. More a Hardware query here.

First nights use, the alarm went off in the early hours 3 hours after arming it.
    The reason in the engineers log was a 'Battery flt' on the control panel.

Apparently this is a known Software issue/bug. All alarms sirens should not go off etc on a battery fault. The fault itself is apparently a rare occurrence. Possibly because the internal battery in the panel was charging for the first time? It's a brand new system.

Anyone (fitters/users) seen this happen before? I'm just wary about waking the neighbours at 3am again as we are new to the area.

cheers :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You should not get battery fault on a new panel or battery. You should get it replaced to be on safe side.
    There were some early issues with short battery life on some devices all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

KoolKid wrote: »
    You should not get battery fault on a new panel or battery. You should get it replaced to be on safe side.
    There were some early issues with short battery life on some devices all right.

cool. Will start using the system and see. Engineer said he'll replace if it occurs again. Don't think he is going to consider replacing panel because it happens once only. Hoping its because the internal panel battery was not up to charge on first use.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If it happens again I would definitely be looking at the panels ability to charge the battery correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

100gSoma wrote: »
    hi all,

Got this system (HKC Quantum 70) fitted recently by approved fitter. Excellent job, very neat, and I'm very happy with the installation. More a Hardware query here.

First nights use, the alarm went off in the early hours 3 hours after arming it.
    The reason in the engineers log was a 'Battery flt' on the control panel.

Apparently this is a known Software issue/bug. All alarms sirens should not go off etc on a battery fault. The fault itself is apparently a rare occurrence. Possibly because the internal battery in the panel was charging for the first time? It's a brand new system.

Anyone (fitters/users) seen this happen before? I'm just wary about waking the neighbours at 3am again as we are new to the area.

cheers :)

Never had any issues like this and have being installing the Quantum since day one. The batteries that come with the Quantum packs are now pre-charged. If you can go into the log can you scroll to the battery fault and press 0 to see what is gives as the battery fault. If it is a device causing the issue I would have it swapped out straight away as this system is only new.

Guys, thanks a lot for the feedback! The device causing the fault is the 'Control Panel Internal Battery' itself, not an external sensor. After the 'Battery flt' activates the alarm, I unset it, and the control panel audibly says "Control Panel Battery Fault, contact engineer".

I set the alarm last night after not using it for 3 days while I queried the issue with the installer. We were hoping maybe the internal battery just needed to charge on the first day.

It happened again though. 330am. My new neighbours are probably not best pleased, either is baby here. Same issue. The control panel threw a battery fault error. The next item in the log was 'Battery ok'. That's no good though as it sets off the alarm and keeps it ringing until unset.

I's like the control panel is losing communication with the internal battery rather than a low battery which would have some other entry in the log than 'Battery flt'. Low battery warning maybe etc.
    I think I'll have to get the control panel swapped out.

I suspect its a hardware issue on the control panel itself, not a low battery or a dud battery. The battery should not even be needed or used when the mains power is working? No power cuts in the two nights in question. Or perhaps its charge level is checked periodically, and mine is dropping out. Looks like HW comms failure between panel board and battery pack.
    I'll see if installer will just swap it out as its less than a week old and causing grief like this.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Most helpful.

• Advertisement

I'd be insisting on the panel being replaced. It's under gaurantee after all.

Sounds like a software issue.

The engineer replaced the panel yesterday. No alarm triggered last night when it was set.

Most likely cause was a faulty solder connection between the internal panel backup battery wires and the circuit board, and the SW not handling this gracefully so instead triggering a full alarm upon a Battery Fault.
    A SW patch is forthcoming to handle this particular type of fault more gracefully if it should occur again in any unit.

The problems root was the hardware though. This happens every so often when you mass produce anything with circuits or connections though. I've not heard of anyone else having this issue, so obviously a rare thing considering the 1000s of alarms installed.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Delighted to have it seemingly solved now. fingers crossed. :)

Glad you got it sorted.
    As both an engineer and end user I would have wanted the panel changed.

The engineer replaced the panel yesterday. No alarm triggered last night when it was set.

Most likely cause was a faulty solder connection between the internal panel backup battery wires and the circuit board, and the SW not handling this gracefully so instead triggering a full alarm upon a Battery Fault.
    A SW patch is forthcoming to handle this particular type of fault more gracefully if it should occur again in any unit.

The problems root was the hardware though. This happens every so often when you mass produce anything with circuits or connections though. I've not heard of anyone else having this issue, so obviously a rare thing considering the 1000s of alarms installed.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Delighted to have it seemingly solved now. fingers crossed. :)

The battery hopefully has sorted this for you. I agree, the amount of Quantums I have installed and never had this issue but glad it did come to light for future reference.

• Advertisement

I'll update later, but unfortunately the same fault again (battery fault on control panel contact engineer)on the replacement panel tonight. Full alarm activation. It was fine for 3 nights. I think I'd nearly have it removed at this stage. Disappointed. Faulty batch maybe?

The most obvious problem is the panel again. I would be also checking the mains supplying the panel,just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'll update later, but unfortunately the same fault again (battery fault on control panel contact engineer)on the replacement panel tonight. Full alarm activation. It was fine for 3 nights. I think I'd nearly have it removed at this stage. Disappointed. Faulty batch maybe?

I have dozens of these panels installed and never had a problem like that and never heard of problems either.

My guess is its something to do with the mains supply to the panel and no matter what system you put in it will be the same.

Did you have an alarm previous to this from the same supply?

I have dozens of these panels installed and never had a problem like that and never heard of problems either.

My guess is its something to do with the mains supply to the panel and no matter what system you put in it will be the same.

At this stage, I think you may be correct. Was still half asleep when I posted after the activation. On consideration, the mains supply is the common denominator both times and is now at least as likely as any other fault.

I probably shouldn't have posted at all really until situation was/is clarified. My only intention was to get information and opinion to help find root cause and a solution though. Sincerely hope I didn't offend anyone given this looks like it might be my supply.

Did you have an alarm previous to this from the same supply?

First alarm in this house

Why would anyone be offended?
    Most problems require some process of elimination.

Why would anyone be offended?
    Most problems require some process of elimination.

Offended is the wrong word, just hope it didn't seem I was only implying the panel was to blame and it might turn out my fuse box needs replacing. Lol :)
    Appreciate all the replies on here though. Very informative.

In fairness, the panel would be the first thing most of us would look at.

Engineer is due out today to investigate and check power supply as possible cause etc. I think this issue has caused a fair bit of head scratching all around. Be great to identify a cause either way.

• Advertisement

I look forward to hearing the outcome.

Rewired the panel power supply into a different circuit on the fuse-box (changed from a lights circuit to a sockets circuit) and checked new connection was good.
    Engineer also replaced the GSM unit (just as a precaution) so now all of the hardware has been replaced at this stage (Panel and GSM module) and the connection rewired. The only things the same now are the mains cable used and the fuse-box. If it happens again, the last possible thing to change is the actual mains cable from panel to fuse-box, but hopefully the re-connection into a different circuit has got it sorted. I'd doubt its the cable itself, but I'm not an electrician. Engineer was just considering all possibilities. Fingers crossed this won't be needed as the rewiring has fixed it.
    I must add that HKC and the Engineer have been more than helpful in troubleshooting this issue for me. Returning calls on weekends etc and coming next day to work on fault or replace hardware etc. I know now from the replies on here, (and from the engineer and manufacturer directly) that this is obviously a very unusual occurrence.

Hasn't happened since the rewire to different circuit. I've even had the alarm armed for extended period (several days). Most likely a dodgy connection was causing this anomalous behaviour the first time around. Thanks to all who replied.
    Delighted with the alarm and the setup now.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Sorry to hijack thread. Recently got this alarm installed and around the same time my download speeds seem to have halved. Gone from 7.5mbps to 3.5. Is there away of checking if the alarm is at fault? Can't find where it's connected to phoneline

I'm presuming your broadband connection is DSL. If so take your router and connect it directly to the incoming line and disconnect everything thing else. If your broadband stays the same the problem is external. If you get the expected speed then reconnect the internal connections and devices one by one to isolate it down.

I'm presuming your broadband connection is DSL. If so take your router and connect it directly to the incoming line and disconnect everything thing else. If your broadband stays the same the problem is external. If you get the expected speed then reconnect the internal connections and devices one by one to isolate it down.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah it's DSL. There is nothing else connected to the line only the router. When the alarm goes off it texts us and the number of the house phone comes off. I can't see where the alarm is connected to the phone line though. It's not done via any of the outlets in the house. I wasn't home when alarm was installed

It may be a case that the alarm needs a filter. Hard to know more without seeing how it is wired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Is this panel a quantum? If so they apparently already have filters fitted.

Yeah it's a quantum 70 hkc. It's the first pic you see if you google it. Read that they have an internal filter alright. Just making sure as I made a complaint to sky bb re the speed drop and want to have all bases covered when they call to investigate

• Advertisement

You need to source where the line comes into the house and disconnect everything else.

Advertisement