Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic alarm for shed

Options
  • 09-12-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a basic alarm for a concrete shed. The shed has one door and one window. It has electricity but isn't wired for an alarm so I suppose wireless is the best option. Looking on Amazon and eBay but don't know what to choose. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

philboy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a basic alarm for a concrete shed. The shed has one door and one window. It has electricity but isn't wired for an alarm so I suppose wireless is the best option. Looking on Amazon and eBay but don't know what to choose. Thanks

Go on eBay UK and search fir "gsm alarm" they can be got for about 50e,they take a sim card and can be set up to either ring or text you and 5other numbers should it go off along with the usual siren..I have two installed and have never given any problems
    Pretty easy to set up and only uses credit if the alarm sounds..
    They are mostly 12v so can be ran off a standard car battery if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

My garage is same idea, and I just bought something like this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%B6nig-Ceiling-Alarm-Motion-Detector/dp/B000TQXCC8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386603489&sr=8-3&keywords=ceiling+alarm

and put it in the rafters in the centre of the roof. Now of course its not fool proof but my logic is that hopefully the noise would deter any intruder not to hang around. Its out of reach and you would need to either find a big stick or a ladder to get to it and stop it.

I got mine on a special for £10 or so, so I thought it was worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi,

If its only a shed and you have an alarm in the house maybe you have a free zone that you could wire a device into. You would need to get a cable from the control panel to this device. Another option would be to use a bridge, again if you had a free zone and install a wire free device in the shed.
    Other than that a wired stand alone system could also be used. Cabling a shed would not be a big job if its a self install.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

To be honest I would stay away from kits like that. They are DIY, cheap and cheerful with no standards to work too or aim at.
    Wireless PIR takes 4 AAA batteries and battery life is 6-12 Months :eek:
    Range about 30 meters with one barrier :eek:
    If its only a shed then a wired system should suit.
    Have a look here for a proper system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Hi,

I have similar question, have an alarm in the house fitted few years ago with spare zone, its a hkc 8/12 panel. I have a wire left underground from shed to panel in house. My question is can i fit a keypad in the garage also?

I have 3 keypads on the house alarm already. I also have gsm unit connected so i presume it will work as before.

s_gr

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How many cores on the cable going to the shed?

Have a 6 core alarm cable and a cat5e cable left fromthe alarm panel in house to the shed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes, you could get a keypad and your spare zone back to the panel on that.

Thanks Koolkid

• Advertisement

Any Idea of the cost for 2 doors, 4 windows in the shed with a keypad.

Spare zone on a hkc 8/12 panel. Can an extra bell be added at the shed also.

Just looking for approx costs to fit this in Dublin. Have engineer code for the alarm

Did you say that you only have one zone spare for this?
    If you want to use a keypad in the shed then that entire zone would have to be entry exit. Not really ideal.

Hi,

As far as i know just one zone free on the panel, is it possible to fit an expander module?

If you just have the 8 zones you could fit the 4 zone expander at the panel.

Advertisement